Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline aquaanox  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2015 16:54:26(UTC)
aquaanox

United States   
Folks - I have just started with a medium size digital starter set that came with the CS2. Lack of proper instructions and explanations are really not helping. Been readin the forum and have learned a lot but many things remain difficult to understand. I have no prior experience in this hobby.

1) What are all the differences between the programming track and the main track ? ex - can you change the configuration of a locomotive on the main track with other locos on it ? or do you have to use a dedicated programming track for that ? I get the fact that the PTrack is for adding non marklin locos etc (of which I don't have any). The mfx locos that came with my set is all I have at the moment. So to change parameters etc. do I need to use a programming track with just one loco on it ? or can I do it on the fly without affecting anything else on the main line ?
2) Accessories and automation: Im having a heck of a time trying to figure out what items are needed with CS2 to add for example - automated turnouts, signals and braking. How do you configure all these to be automated. Can CS2 handle everything or do I need dedicated power and control ? If so, how do you automate the layout so the trains basically run themselves. Do I need special track sections that need to be programmed ?

Im in Potomac, MD in case a fellow local modeler wants to help out. thanks guys.

Offline petestra  
#2 Posted : 03 December 2015 17:53:48(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi and welcome to the forum. I am Peter,a local member from Leesburg, VA. Your first question is easy. If you happen to have a few Loks on your layout and you want to change

parameters on a new Lok you can do it on the main track, IF; 1. you have all other loks stopped at red signals (with power cut-off sections as I do) OR just have them parked

in yards which also have power cut off sections and the power is off in them. As far as your CS2 I don't have one (I use MS2's) so I would not know your answer. My signals, switches,

uncoupler tracks are all controlled via analog control or by momentary contact track section. I have read and heard that the new 76*** signals can be programmed in the CS2

for auto operation if that's what you'd like to do. Hopefully someone else from the forum will help you with that. Good luck. Peter Cool

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 03 December 2015 18:10:06(UTC)
H0

Hi, aquaanox!
Welcome to the forum!

Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Your first question is easy. If you happen to have a few Loks on your layout and you want to change parameters on a new Lok you can do it on the main track, IF; 1. you have all other loks stopped at red signals (with power cut-off sections as I do) OR just have them parked in yards which also have power cut off sections and the power is off in them.
It's not that easy.

With mfx locos: you can make the changes on the main track, no interference with other locos.
With DCC locos: you can make many changes on the main track without interference, but to read CVs you have to put the loco all alone on the programming track (but you can leave other locos on the main track).
With MM locos you cannot change anything on the main track, so all changes have to be done on the programming track.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark5  
#4 Posted : 03 December 2015 19:33:06(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thanks Tom,

That helps me too!

Hi Aquaanox,

Welcome to the forum,

You will find a lot of people who can give great advice here with your queries through the forum.
Plus using keywords to search through the 500,000 posts on this forum is also an incredible resource.
The search is at the top right hand of each forum page.

For local help you may find that ETE's eastern chapter may be able to give you a hand.
They will likely have someone close by. Good guys which I met in the Big E train show in Springfield Mass. last February.
http://www.ete-ene.org/index.html

That said, your quickest way is to pour over the available online literature, pdfs from Marklin and some of their printed material to help get yourself oriented.

If someone could post a few links to said literature
or point our new forum member in the right direction that would be great.

No question is too dumb or too simple for the forum.
Reading and doing a quick search before asking does help though.
I keep getting reminded myself when I ask before searching.... Smile

If you have difficulty with the search feature or finding literature, do let us know!

Peace,
Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline aquaanox  
#5 Posted : 03 December 2015 22:16:01(UTC)
aquaanox

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, aquaanox!
Welcome to the forum!

Your first question is easy. If you happen to have a few Loks on your layout and you want to change parameters on a new Lok you can do it on the main track, IF; 1. you have all other loks stopped at red signals (with power cut-off sections as I do) OR just have them parked in yards which also have power cut off sections and the power is off in them.
It's not that easy.

With mfx locos: you can make the changes on the main track, no interference with other locos.
With DCC locos: you can make many changes on the main track without interference, but to read CVs you have to put the loco all alone on the programming track (but you can leave other locos on the main track).
With MM locos you cannot change anything on the main track, so all changes have to be done on the programming track.

THANKS!
Offline aquaanox  
#6 Posted : 03 December 2015 22:20:32(UTC)
aquaanox

United States   
Hi and welcome to the forum. I am Peter,a local member from Leesburg, VA. Your first question is easy. If you happen to have a few Loks on your layout and you want to change

parameters on a new Lok you can do it on the main track, IF; 1. you have all other loks stopped at red signals (with power cut-off sections as I do) OR just have them parked

in yards which also have power cut off sections and the power is off in them. As far as your CS2 I don't have one (I use MS2's) so I would not know your answer. My signals, switches,

uncoupler tracks are all controlled via analog control or by momentary contact track section. I have read and heard that the new 76*** signals can be programmed in the CS2

for auto operation if that's what you'd like to do. Hopefully someone else from the forum will help you with that. Good luck. Peter Cool

thanks Peter - yes, ideally I want to accomplish signals, braking, routes etc all digitally since I am starting fresh. I have too much to learn, track insulators, s88's, contact tracks, the different types of signals, turnout controls, fully automated route control ---- but I want to use the CS2 only for most of this if it is possible --- and I cant seem to find good info on that anywhere.

Also if you isolate sections of track how do you power the different sections with one cs2 ?

so for now I just have the trains going around in circles with my iphone :) lol.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by aquaanox
Offline petestra  
#7 Posted : 03 December 2015 22:48:13(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: aquaanox Go to Quoted Post

thanks Peter - yes, ideally I want to accomplish signals, braking, routes etc all digitally since I am starting fresh. I have too much to learn, track insulators, s88's, contact tracks, the different types of signals, turnout controls, fully automated route control ---- but I want to use the CS2 only for most of this if it is possible --- and I cant seem to find good info on that anywhere.

Also if you isolate sections of track how do you power the different sections with one cs2 ?

so for now I just have the trains going around in circles with my iphone :) lol.

Hi again (you may want to use your first name like most of us do), I did some searching for you here on the forum and it does not seem like many (if any) are doing this

kind of programming here as it is still quite new. I would do as you are except for the fact that I started with Märklin way back in '64 and so my accessories are controlled with

analog operation. I enjoy controlling them the old way but the trains in digital are just super. You may want to contact Märklin in Germany (they speak English) . Gather up

all the questions you have and send them to them via their website. PeterCool
Offline petestra  
#8 Posted : 04 December 2015 01:06:31(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi again. I just found this programming video thru a link on youtube. I know Magnus from the German speaking Facebook forum. He speaks English too

so maybe he can help you too. Peter.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline clapcott  
#9 Posted : 04 December 2015 03:13:21(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: aquaanox Go to Quoted Post
1) What are all the differences between the programming track and the main track ? ...

All ? Now that is a big ask !

Two not mentioned so far that I can see

A) Electrically the programming port has a lower power rating with the aim of being used when testing a newly fitted decoder/motor. Should a short have been introduced, then the programming track will cutout quicker hopefully giving you another life and a chance to fix.

In historic times the spec was so low (on other controllers) that you couldn't test the sound because of the power draw. Since then the limit has been raised by most controllers, and the CS2s programming track rating is quite high at 1 Amp.

B) Using the CS2 to download new firmware and updating sound-schemes to writable decoders, requires the programming track

As a personal comment, I would never plug the programming track into the main layout "to do a quick update" for those decoders that cannot be configured "On the Main".
It is not only the risk of over-writing the other locomotives that you forgot to remove from the track, but most new accessories use soft configuration and may also be corrupted .
Peter
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Mark5  
#10 Posted : 04 December 2015 03:29:20(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hi Petestra,

I watched the video. So is the side track that he programs from electrically isolated from the layout's mainline?
And, as my German is only beginner level, what did he actually program the Triebwagen to do?

Thanks for posting,
Mark

Hi again. I just found this programming video thru a link on youtube. I know Magnus from the German speaking Facebook forum. He speaks English too

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline petestra  
#11 Posted : 04 December 2015 13:16:06(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Petestra,

I watched the video. So is the side track that he programs from electrically isolated from the layout's mainline?
And, as my German is only beginner level, what did he actually program the Triebwagen to do?

Thanks for posting,
Mark

Hi Mark, He doesn't say but I don't think it is isolated. The Lok was already added into the CS2 and he is just showing how to use its functions. He just turned

on its lights and sounds and gave its command to run and programmed it to do this operation, and change direction and run again. Peter Smile