Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bocyc  
#1 Posted : 19 November 2015 16:58:33(UTC)
Bocyc

United Kingdom   
Hello everyone,
I am very new to Marlin and this forum, so apologies if my question sound silly. I have Start Set with new IR controller, which have 4 addresses (78, 72, 60 and 24). I just bold new Marlin loco 37957 which have factory address set to 03. But I don't know how to change address on loco or on IR controller. Any help please?
Thank you very much.
Ivo
Offline waorb  
#2 Posted : 19 November 2015 17:57:56(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Hello Ivo.

Warm welcome!

Well, as far as I know, those IR controllers have fixed digital addresses with no possibility to change them.

On that case you'll need to upgrade you layout to use at least the Mobile Station.

Cheers,

Walter

ps. another possibility is to go at a Märklin dealer or a friend of you that have a Mobile/Central Station and exchange the address on the locomotive.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 19 November 2015 18:00:44(UTC)
H0

Hi, Ivo,

Welcome to the forum.

You should find instructions in the manual for your controller.

If I remember correctly, you have to hold down the button that reverses the direction while you plug the wall wart in (and point the IR controller at the receiver).
Loco lights should start flashing and loco should then respond to the address selected on the controller.
So select a position (1, 2, 3 or 4) that is not yet used by any of your locos before doing this.

And make sure to remove all other locos from the track while you change the address.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2015 18:01:45(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: waorb Go to Quoted Post
Well, as far as I know, those IR controllers have fixed digital addresses with no possibility to change them.
The addresses of the controller are fixed, but the address of the loco can be changed.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline waorb  
#5 Posted : 19 November 2015 18:21:31(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Agree Tom.

I searched the Märklin website, and found one example instructions manual.

Code:

http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/29166_betrieb.pdf

Cheers,

Walter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by waorb
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 20 November 2015 04:35:41(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I am unable to open the nice link that Waorb set out.

If our friend still has a problem changing the address, I can scan my instructions that came with the set. Just ask.

However, HO was right on the money in how to do it. It's that simple and very reliable OhMyGod .

BigGrin ThumpUp
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 20 November 2015 05:31:16(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The digital address on the 37957 can be set to one of the addresses that will work with the IR controller. The easiest way to change the address requires a 6021, Mobile Station or Central Station, but according to the instructions, it can be done with the IR controller as follows:

Quote:
Unplug the transformer. Set the address switches (9*) to the desired address. Press the button „Change Direction“ (7*). Hold this button pressed down while the lens (4*) on the IR Control is pointed at shows to the receiver, and plug the transformer back into the wall outlet.
Release the button as soon the light comes on. The programming procedure is displayed when the light comes on or blinks. As soon as the light goes out, the programming is turned off. The loco- motive can now be run with the new address.

If this does not work, perhaps there is a Maerklin dealer in London or another member with one of the digital controllers who can help you change the address to one of those that works with the IR controller.

@Baggio. To view a linked file from Maerklin's website, the page must be opened by selecting either "Open in a New Window" or "Open in a New Tab" after right clicking on the link. For a Mac, this can be done with the right combination of buttons or multiple finger pressure on the touch pad.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline baggio  
#8 Posted : 20 November 2015 05:58:33(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thank you, Mike, I tried it and it still does not work. All I get is what I got originally: just a Marklin logo the size of a big postage stamp.

(By the way, the numbers in brackets after the instructions just identify the item you are told to use as shown in the remote diagram, so you know what they look like.)

The wireless remote is very good, but it does have some issues that our friend may eventually need to deal with:

1. The unit automatically shuts off after three minutes if no button is pushed, We talked about this a year or two ago; I have the instructions on what to do to remove this feature/defect if requested;

2. Sometimes when a train runs over the feeder track, it slows down or jerks or the lights flicker. I found that to avoid this, the best thing to do is put the feeder track on a turnout where you park a loco;

3. One caveat: if you use four locos, some parked and some running, keep an eye on those parked because they may decide to go for a ride and hit an oncoming loco. This happened to me;

You can have as many locos with the same number as you like. The result is that while you can use only up to four locos at a time, you can actually have 10 locos for each number. You can even put two locos on the layout using the same address at the same time and then they BOTH obey the same command; it's neat.

Best feature: get another wireless remote, give one to a friend/child and each one of you can operate one locomotive running at the same time. Great for kids under 99 years of age.

BigGrin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 20 November 2015 07:35:04(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
@Baggio. To view a linked file from Maerklin's website, the page must be opened by selecting either "Open in a New Window" or "Open in a New Tab" after right clicking on the link.
This does not always work.
The best way IMHO is copying the complete URL to the address field of the browser - I always use a new tab.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#10 Posted : 20 November 2015 07:40:39(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Originally Posted by: Bocyc Go to Quoted Post
I just bold new Marlin loco 37957 which have factory address set to 03. But I don't know how to change address on loco or on IR controller. Any help please?
Thank you very much.
Ivo

My experience with IR controller says the loco whose address needs to be changed should be one of the 4 addresses which the IR supports (78, 72,68,24). Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Most of the MyWorld series locos have one of these addresses pre configured based on the type of the engine-Diesel, Steam, Electric etc.

To change the address refer to page 13 in the PDF link shared by Walter, post #5.

7.1 Changing an Address:
If you have 2 locomotives with the same address,
you can change the address for one locomotive
as follows:
Unplug the transformer. Set the address switches
(9*) to the desired address. Press the button
„Change Direction“ (7*). Hold this button pressed
down while the lens (4*) on the IR Control is
pointed at shows to the receiver, and plug the
transformer back into the wall outlet.
Release the button as soon the light comes on.
The programming procedure is displayed when
the light comes on or blinks. As soon as the light
goes out, the programming is turned off. The locomotive
can now be run with the new address

7.1 Selecting an address:
(See Section 8 for the appropriate address for
your locomotive.)
Switch Address

Regards
Madhu
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by madhu.gn.71
Offline baggio  
#11 Posted : 20 November 2015 13:44:44(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I followed HO's suggestion and IT WORKS! BigGrin

Now I can see that the ink was a real jewel of a gift by WAORB: it gives you the whole manual! ThumpUp

It is a good little manual, it even tells you that each track has its own number below, mine didn't.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#12 Posted : 22 November 2015 16:08:40(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Originally Posted by: madhu.gn.71 Go to Quoted Post

My experience with IR controller says the loco whose address needs to be changed should be one of the 4 addresses which the IR supports (78, 72,68,24). Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I'm correcting myself:) The loco whose address needs to be changed need not be one of the 4 addresses which IR supports.
Idea: If at all I've forgotten the address of a loco, this method is best to reset it to one of these 4 addresses.
Offline baggio  
#13 Posted : 22 November 2015 16:32:44(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
You are absolutely right, Madhu. That is also what I do with the MS1.

I mean, if the non MFX loco lost its spot onto the MS1 (sometimes it does, no idea as to why), rather than try to give it a new address (NOT so easy...), I just reset it separately by putting it onto a piece of track connected to the wireless set.

Works FAST and VERY easily. BigGrin ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Best Ripper  
#14 Posted : 15 April 2016 11:12:42(UTC)
Best Ripper

Bulgaria   
Can I change address among 78, 72, 60, 24 using Marklin station 67025 and how? Thanks in advance.
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 15 April 2016 12:34:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Best Ripper Go to Quoted Post
Can I change address among 78, 72, 60, 24 using Marklin station 67025 and how?
No. The IR starter set controller can do it, but not the 67025.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline dnkrcrshr  
#16 Posted : 10 August 2017 14:56:33(UTC)
dnkrcrshr

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Ivo,

Welcome to the forum.

You should find instructions in the manual for your controller.

If I remember correctly, you have to hold down the button that reverses the direction while you plug the wall wart in (and point the IR controller at the receiver).
Loco lights should start flashing and loco should then respond to the address selected on the controller.
So select a position (1, 2, 3 or 4) that is not yet used by any of your locos before doing this.

And make sure to remove all other locos from the track while you change the address.

I have the similar condition with Bocyc, I bought fx sound loco marklin 37540 to be put in my IR starter set layout. I follow your instructions, but the loco lights keep flashing/blinking after plugging the transformer back to the wall and releasing the reverse direction button. In guideline it says"The programming procedure is displayed when the light comes on or blinks. As soon as the light goes out the programming is turned off".

How long should I wait for this "blinks" before I unplug the transformer to make the programming turned off?

In my case, after blinking 2 times, i immediately unplug the transformer, and plug again. Is this correct?

In my step, finally I can change the address into 24 and run the loco with its limited sound function (Headlight(*), smoke generator (f1), Steam locomotive sounds (f2), whistle (f3)). I notice when I press f4, sometimes it makes airpump sound (can only be functioned in MS and Central Station). Is this a glitch?Did I do wrong procedure?
Offline baggio  
#17 Posted : 10 August 2017 18:07:26(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: dnkrcrshr Go to Quoted Post
How long should I wait for this "blinks" before I unplug the transformer to make the programming turned off?

Unplugging the transformer is the mistake you are making: Do NOT unplug the transformer after the lights start to flicker. All you do at that point is immediately release the reverse button you were holding down waiting for the lights to blink.

The lights will stop flickering in a few seconds, maybe 30 seconds. You then run the loco WITHOUT EVER unplugging the transformer.

Try it and see if it works.

Ciao.

(By the way, what is the temperature like in Jakarta these days?)

Offline dnkrcrshr  
#18 Posted : 11 August 2017 06:47:42(UTC)
dnkrcrshr

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post

Unplugging the transformer is the mistake you are making: Do NOT unplug the transformer after the lights start to flicker. All you do at that point is immediately release the reverse button you were holding down waiting for the lights to blink.

The lights will stop flickering in a few seconds, maybe 30 seconds. You then run the loco WITHOUT EVER unplugging the transformer.

Try it and see if it works.

Ciao.

(By the way, what is the temperature like in Jakarta these days?)

Thankyou for ur info.
I will redo my step again. Now, it's already 2minutes waiting for this strange blinking anyway

(Never below 30deg C, always humid-summer here BigGrin )
Offline baggio  
#19 Posted : 11 August 2017 13:28:37(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I will redo my step again. Now, it's already 2minutes waiting for this strange blinking anyway

Remember:

1. You unplug the transformer;

2. While you hold the remote PUSHING the reverse button and aimed at the eye of the feeder track , you PLUG IN the transformer;

3. As soon as the light goes on the loco, you let go of the reverse button AND just WAIT; (DO NOT UNPLUG THE TRANSFORMER.)

4. Once the lights go off on the loco, it's ready to run.

Give it another try.
Offline dnkrcrshr  
#20 Posted : 12 August 2017 11:58:29(UTC)
dnkrcrshr

Indonesia   

Remember:

1. You unplug the transformer;

2. While you hold the remote PUSHING the reverse button and aimed at the eye of the feeder track , you PLUG IN the transformer;

3. As soon as the light goes on the loco, you let go of the reverse button AND just WAIT; (DO NOT UNPLUG THE TRANSFORMER.)

4. Once the lights go off on the loco, it's ready to run.

Give it another try.

Thanks baggio,

Another additional question; can I also change the unknown address of Roco AC digital for marklin, Mehano for marklin and ESU locomotives to my IR system (78, 72, 60 & 24)? Do you have any experience on it?

Offline baggio  
#21 Posted : 12 August 2017 15:19:02(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Dn:

Let's walk before we run. BigGrin

Did you succeed in changing addresses on the loco you wrote about?

Once you do, then you can explore whether you can do the same with other locos.

As for my experience on point, no I have never used a non-Marklin loco on a Marklin layout.

I suspect it has to do with the decoder used by the loco whose address you want to change. This is VERY important.

I don't think you can change an address of an Mfx loco. I remember trying to do so and was unable to. I believe that was the reason for which when I had my analogue Marklin 3035 loco converted to digital, Mike (at the local Marklin shop) asked me what address I wanted - at the time I only had the wireless set.

You can try for yourself and see what happens.

BUT if you buy a loco, then ask the seller to give it an address that matches one of the four you have. Otherwise, you may very well end up stuck. You may also be stuck if the decoder is not compatible with the wireless set. For example, if the loco is an AC loco but runs in DCC, then you may still be stuck with the wireless set (but NOT with an MS2 and up; not sure about MS1).

At risk of stating the obvious, you cannot use an HO DCC loco sold in the US two rails stores on an HO Marklin layout, which is 3 rails - the centre studs being the third rail.

Once again, before you "explore" uncharted waters, be sure you learn first how to change the addresses of Fx locos.

Offline dnkrcrshr  
#22 Posted : 12 August 2017 18:35:21(UTC)
dnkrcrshr

Indonesia   
Hi, Dn:

Let's walk before we run. BigGrin

Did you succeed in changing addresses on the loco you wrote about?

Yes, safe and sound finally BigGrin

Hi Baggio, thanks again for your explanation.
According to your experience, can we conclude that the only locomotive that we could change the address to IR(78,72,60 & 24) is only marklin FX locomotive? But if Bocyc(Ivo) succeeded in changing the addresses, then we can apply this method to both fx and mfx locos BigGrin
Offline baggio  
#23 Posted : 12 August 2017 18:48:40(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I am glad that the problem has been satisfactorily resolved. ThumpUp

As for your last question, if something works, then you have your answer. If it does not work, you also have your answer.

Just make sure that you follow the procedure properly before concluding that the address of a given decoder cannot be changed.

As I explained, my only experience has been with Fx decoders and ONE Mfx decoder.

I LOVE my wireless sets (I have two) and would not part with them.

Have a good weekend.

Silvano
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 12 August 2017 20:58:21(UTC)
H0

According to your experience, can we conclude that the only locomotive that we could change the address to IR(78,72,60 & 24) is only marklin FX locomotive? But if Bocyc(Ivo) succeeded in changing the addresses, then we can apply this method to both fx and mfx locos BigGrin
It should work with programmable fx decoders (Märklin and others) and mfx decoders (Märklin and others so long as they support MM protocol).

It will fail for older locos with e.g. Uhlenbrock decoders. I think it should work for recent Uhlenbrock and Tams decoders. Not sure about Zimo or D&H decoders.

The loco 37540 has an ESU LokSound decoder (special version for Märklin without DCC). With other controllers you can use 9 functions via 2 addresses, but not with the IR controller.
The decoder plays some sounds at random, so you may here sounds that are out of reach (F5 through F8).

The programming of ESU LokSound and LokPilot decoders should work also for uncrippled decoders with DCC in locos from third parties..
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage