Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rocca  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2015 10:59:16(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Dear Märklin friends,

these last couples of weeks I'm trying to fix an electrical turnout (8562) on my Z-Scale layout, which isn't switching properly. I've opened it and lubricating it with some CRC spray and cleaning it very well. Manually I can switch it fine, but when I want to switch it electrically I'm allowed to do only in one direction. I can't imagine how I could change the mechanism and add too that I don't know if there is any Märklin spare parts for it. Have you any suggestions on your own experience, having to stand this trouble?

Thanks in advance e best regards

Stefano Rocca
Offline Wal  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2015 12:49:17(UTC)
Wal

Australia   
Hello Stefano,

On my Z layout whenever I've had an issue with electric turnouts (and I've had that same as you-working in only one direction) it's always boiled down to an electrical cable problem. When I check all my solder joints, and the plugs into the switch boxes it has always resolved the issue.

Cheers,

Wal.
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2015 20:48:24(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Rocca Go to Quoted Post
Dear Märklin friends,

these last couples of weeks I'm trying to fix an electrical turnout (8562) on my Z-Scale layout, which isn't switching properly. I've opened it and lubricating it with some CRC spray and cleaning it very well. Manually I can switch it fine, but when I want to switch it electrically I'm allowed to do only in one direction. I can't imagine how I could change the mechanism and add too that I don't know if there is any Märklin spare parts for it. Have you any suggestions on your own experience, having to stand this trouble?

Stefano Rocca

Hi Stefano,

Personally I would avoid CRC (red) and similar sprays, in particular WD40. But if you are talking about the blue CRC contact cleaner this may be OK. You definitely want one that leaves no residue.

One troubleshooting tip you may like to try is a 9v battery. Z turnouts will usually switch reliably from 9v and if you can connect directly to the turnout feeder wires it may help isolate if the problem is in the turnout coil or further back in the wiring.

The coloured Marklin plugs and sockets are great in this respect because they allow quick isolation and testing, but the older style unfortunately do tend to work loose and oxidize over time which can give all sorts of problems. I don't know how the new style connectors will perform, time will tell.

Hope this helps

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Rocca  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2015 10:03:02(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Thank you so much, dear Cookee_nz!
Have you suggestion how may I get a 9v battery. Do I need a normal battery like to ones you use in a clock-alarm? Do you mean that?

Thanks in advance
Best regards

Stefano Rocca

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Rocca Go to Quoted Post
Dear Märklin friends,

Stefano Rocca

Hi Stefano,

Personally I would avoid CRC (red) and similar sprays, in particular WD40. But if you are talking about the blue CRC contact cleaner this may be OK. You definitely want one that leaves no residue.

One troubleshooting tip you may like to try is a 9v battery. Z turnouts will usually switch reliably from 9v and if you can connect directly to the turnout feeder wires it may help isolate if the problem is in the turnout coil or further back in the wiring.

The coloured Marklin plugs and sockets are great in this respect because they allow quick isolation and testing, but the older style unfortunately do tend to work loose and oxidize over time which can give all sorts of problems. I don't know how the new style connectors will perform, time will tell.

Hope this helps

Steve
Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 15 November 2015 11:00:10(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-volt_battery

Surely you can find such a battery just about anywhere?
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Rocca  
#6 Posted : 15 November 2015 17:46:29(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Yesssss...thank you so much

Best regards

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-volt_battery

Surely you can find such a battery just about anywhere?