Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline digilox1  
#1 Posted : 04 November 2005 09:16:21(UTC)
digilox1

Unpacked several Märklin locos and let them run on a test set up.
To my surprise, most locos couldn`t back up a train of only six free rolling two axle freight cars up a less than 1% inclination without
heavy wheel slip. Track wasn`t all too dirty, just a medium degree of
residue I guess, no pickup problems.

Among them a crocodile and an Ae6/6, both upgraded to 6090/37xx series standards.

The wheels of the non driven trucks were in an almost like new condition on some models, so no excessive wear, no oil dripping by overlubing the axle bearings and the sprockets.

The surfaces of the traction tires are gleaming in a shiny black and look smooth.

Some of the models haven`t been used for several years.

Could this be due to the decomposition of the tires or is this a result of the track condition?

I seem to remember that the locos had no traction problems on similarly dirty track earlier. Cleaning only one section of track brought back some of the traction power I was used to, but minutes later it was gone again.

Any observations?

TIA,
regards,
Manfred

Offline john black  
#2 Posted : 04 November 2005 12:28:47(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by digilox1
<br />haven`t been used for several years

Manfred Smile: The molecular structure of rubber - and also plastic - has a tendency to change over the years - thus they harden a bit (more or less), and grip is gone. Same problem in the automotive industry ...

John
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline hmsfix  
#3 Posted : 04 November 2005 14:40:58(UTC)
hmsfix

Had no problem so far with aged traction tyres. I usually replace them when they get stretched and fall off the wheel. This may take many years of lok operation, I guess. My E 41 shows no slipping with a 5 coaches long passender train on a 5 % grades.

However, the traction tyres do not look shiny at all, mine get a very rough surface after few hours of running the lok. Perhaps yours have been in contact with some wax or thick grease.

I sometimes clean the tyres with Q-tips, usind gun oil and alcool (press the Q-tips against the running wheels). Got this advice here on the forum some time ago, and no problem with wheel slipping any more.

Hans Martin
Offline laalves  
#4 Posted : 04 November 2005 21:36:27(UTC)
laalves

They shouldn't look shiny at all, should be dull.

The sheen may mean oil has gotten into the tyres and in the wheel groove-tyre interface. The slipping you observe will then be between the wheel and the rubber. I have observed this in heavily lubbed loks.

Try removing the tyres, clean them and the groove with a rag moisted in ethyl alcohol, put the tyres back and retry.

Luis
Offline digilox1  
#5 Posted : 04 November 2005 22:31:14(UTC)
digilox1

When pricking into the tires with a needle I can move them, some more easily, some less. Some can be moved using my fingernail.

Okay, I`ll give it a try.
Hans Martin, what are Q-tips please?

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions.

Regards,
Manfred
Offline john black  
#6 Posted : 04 November 2005 22:37:51(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by digilox1
<br />what are Q-tips please ?

Wattestaebchen
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline RDRBerry  
#7 Posted : 05 November 2005 01:37:17(UTC)
RDRBerry

I have had this, they can harden and even if left long enough and over exposed to oil become transparent and very hard, which when I refrubished an old class V200 bought at a jumble sale ment carefully cutting them off.

Also more ecent tyres seem less hardy, no bad thing as I feel they need changing from time to time.
Ralph
HO digital ,Intellibox and 6021
Offline laalves  
#8 Posted : 05 November 2005 01:55:09(UTC)
laalves

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by RDRBerry
<br />I have had this, they can harden and even if left long enough and over exposed to oil become transparent and very hard, which when I refrubished an old class V200 bought at a jumble sale ment carefully cutting them off.

Also more ecent tyres seem less hardy, no bad thing as I feel they need changing from time to time.

Transparent tyres were used in the fifties, its not a result of oil attack, they WERE actually transparent.

Luis
Offline digilox1  
#9 Posted : 05 November 2005 08:00:05(UTC)
digilox1

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:quote:

Originally posted by digilox1

what are Q-tips please ?

Wattestaebchen

John, Thanks!
Doctors advise not to use them for cleaning one`s ears.

Regards,
Manfred
Offline john black  
#10 Posted : 05 November 2005 12:26:47(UTC)
john black

United States   
Manfred: Yeah, heard the same from the doc when our boys were little. Using such may be kind of contra-productive ...
Well, even some of our friends here don't like them for cleaning loco parts because of the tiny fibers they produce. However, I prefer them - but I need my reading glasses, then [:I]

John

Offline Tony  
#11 Posted : 05 November 2005 20:04:50(UTC)
Tony

South Africa   
After I bring locos out of storage, I always replace the tyres whether it is needed or not, they are cheap and usually easy to replace. Always have a few packs of each type here amongst my spares.

I would say just change the tyres.

I find that some of my locos "throw" tyres every now and then, especially when they have a bad crash or if the get "stuck".
Regards Tony