Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Sparrow  
#1 Posted : 23 August 2015 23:52:36(UTC)
Sparrow

Spain   
I have a MS2, and happily use it, but, since I'm building a perimetral shelf layout, I'd like to follow my trains, so a smartphone or tablet based command unit would be very useful. Of course I could do that with a CS, but it would be kind of overkill since all my switches are manual and I only intend to run a train at a time.

z21 (the white one) would be a good choice, but I have repeatedly read it does not support MFX.

My questions are, would it be possible to run MFX locos with a z21, even loosing some functions? If so, would it require some serious knowledge or could the average Marklin fan just make it work? A simple tutorial would be eternally appreciated. ;)

I've searched the forum and googled the www, ad have come to the conclusion that it should be possible, but have found no explicit answer yet (I can't read german, so don't really know if this very questions have been answered in that language)

Thanks in advance!
Best regards.
Luis.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 24 August 2015 00:23:00(UTC)
H0

Hi!

The z21 supports the MM protocol. And all factory-installed mfx decoders in Märklin locos also support the MM protocol, giving access to (at least) F0 through F8 using (at least) two MM addresses.
Actually all mfx decoders support at least MM or DCC as well - and the z21 supports both DCC and MM, so it should be possible to use any mfx decoder with it.

I never tried the z21 and I don't know how good or bad it supports the MM protocol.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline countrylink  
#3 Posted : 24 August 2015 01:27:29(UTC)
countrylink

Australia   
Sparrow I use the z21 and after you download the app from Roco (this is a free app for either Android or Apple I pad/phone)
and load a loco into the roster you can choose either DCC or Motorola.This can be chosen in the loco settings page.
Hope this helps
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by countrylink
Offline Sparrow  
#4 Posted : 25 August 2015 12:58:00(UTC)
Sparrow

Spain   
Thank you gents!

I gess I will give it a try.
Best regards.
Luis.