Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BwanaJoe  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2015 17:49:16(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
I have three of the old Märklin Digital books. The Märklin Insider Digital book and the 0303 Model Railroading Digitally Controlled book and the Signal Book. Ok, the 0340 signal book isn't digital but it still falls in keep it, don't keep category.

So here is the question for the old timers who've kept up with technology; given the CS2, digital turnouts, new mfx signals (is the k83 even needed anymore?), Etc; are these books worth keeping? 0303 does have a small section on S88 operations and wiring that I could copy and reference, but the rest don't seem relevant any more. Ditto the old Catherall Digital SIGs I have laying around.

So, thoughts from those more experienced than I? Any value if I'm going to be building a new layout from scratch? Keep or Ebay the old stuff?
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2015 21:21:35(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: BwanaJoe Go to Quoted Post
I have three of the old Märklin Digital books. The Märklin Insider Digital book and the 0303 Model Railroading Digitally Controlled book and the Signal Book. Ok, the 0340 signal book isn't digital but it still falls in keep it, don't keep category.

So here is the question for the old timers who've kept up with technology; given the CS2, digital turnouts, new mfx signals (is the k83 even needed anymore?), Etc; are these books worth keeping? 0303 does have a small section on S88 operations and wiring that I could copy and reference, but the rest don't seem relevant any more. Ditto the old Catherall Digital SIGs I have laying around.

So, thoughts from those more experienced than I? Any value if I'm going to be building a new layout from scratch? Keep or Ebay the old stuff?

If you're anything like me, I am mostly interested in the content rather than the physical item. I just have too many book, catalogues etc and most of them I am happy to browse electronically if I need.

There are plenty of users of the old Digital Technology and as the price becomes more affordable there will be those who prefer the relative simplicity of the first/second generation vs the MS1/CS1. Those are the users that might find the older books helpful, and the SIG newsletters have some real gems of info. I'll be scanning those of mine that are not already online elsewhere so that I can keep the info but not the shelf-space they need ThumpUp
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline BwanaJoe  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2015 14:45:02(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
Yes, content is really all I'm interested in. But I don't plan to copy everything. I do plan to get rid of anything not needed.

The big question though is if there is any information I should have for reference from the old manuals. I'm assuming the S88 info is still valid. But I'm also assuming the K83/84 info is not due to the new signals. As for the rest, well I just don't know. If anyone has these books and can give some advice as to their current value as reference documents for the latest equipment that would be great.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2015 16:09:24(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: BwanaJoe Go to Quoted Post
Yes, content is really all I'm interested in. But I don't plan to copy everything. I do plan to get rid of anything not needed.

The big question though is if there is any information I should have for reference from the old manuals. I'm assuming the S88 info is still valid. But I'm also assuming the K83/84 info is not due to the new signals. As for the rest, well I just don't know. If anyone has these books and can give some advice as to their current value as reference documents for the latest equipment that would be great.

The 0308 book has very useful info for the 4998 and 4999 digital coaches that is better than the leaflets that came with them. I believe a lot of the other info in 0308 is also much better than the earlier documentation.