Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2014 08:46:17(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Hello,
I like to summarize here some conversions I did (or will do) on my Märklin BR 221 from the starter kit 29811 (similar to 29720).

UserPostedImage

The head light issue
Several people are unsatisfied with the gloomy head lights and white is shining through the rear light section.

Therefore, I tried to apply LED lights for red and white color and to find a better position to separate white from red. To tell the truth: There is a good and a bad message!

Let's start witn the good message
For the head light, I used a warm-white LED from a LED stripe, soldered short cables to use the original socket. I was able to postion the LED in such way, that it shines directly into the fiber glas but not to somewhere else. A 1kOhm resistor reduced the voltage and current.

UserPostedImage

As You can see, the flare light was reduced effectively to a minimum and the head light shines bright and clear:

UserPostedImage

For comparison, this is the standard light with bulbs:
UserPostedImage

The bad news:
Something happend, maybe a short circuit, I don't know. But the AUX amplifier of one side is dead now. Therefore, I will install a function decoder for the lights, when I create the final solution for both sides.

Ball Bearings
I thought the driving performance of this loco wasn't so bad! But during a discussion I was thinking about, if I had already installed ball bearings to this loco or not. And NO, I didn't! Therefore, I made a short check on my desk and I realized, there is place for improvement.

I mounted a ball bearing into the motor shield:
UserPostedImage

The second ball bearing fits into the gear box:
UserPostedImage

Now, the motor sound is much more quiet, the loco starts driving smoothly in the 1st driving step. The current is between 200mA and 300mA without load but with maximum speed.

Here is a video of the loco with motor sound switched on and at the end again with motor sound switched off

The maximum speed is 140km/h (meassured with meassure waggon), which is exactly the model speed!

Silent pickup shoe
The standard Märklin pickup shoe 206370 can be replaced by the Märklin silent pickup shoe E138079.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline Janne75  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2014 18:26:20(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Moritz,

I have also converted my 29811 with ball bearings, but it's otherwise standard. I'm also happy with the running quality and less noisy DCM motor. I have also installed a ball bearing in my quite similar 39821 (DB V200.150) with C-Sinus motor. Here goes only one ball bearing in this model as there isn't a motor cover where to install a ball bearing. There isn't a big difference in running "noise" and the gears always keep some noise anyway. Great idea with the lights, but I think I will leave them like they are.

When my 29811 BR 221 was still standard it pulled around 100 wagons around a large oval track on a temporarily built livingroom layout. This machine is one of my best pulling locos. It doesn't loose it's traction as it's heavy enough with 600+ grams weight. Also 29855 starter set E40 is very good puller and it has less weight. Smile

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2014 21:09:46(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
I have also installed a ball bearing in my quite similar 39821 (DB V200.150) with C-Sinus motor. Here goes only one ball bearing in this model as there isn't a motor cover where to install a ball bearing. There isn't a big difference in running "noise" and the gears always keep some noise anyway.

You are right. My C-Sinus E 19 (39190) has a plastic bearing on the gear box, too. But I don't expect a big difference here, because this bearing isn't really important. The C-Sinus runs well without this bearing, too.

I don't like to dismantle the C-Sinus motor from the gear box because of the plastic wire to the control board. Therefore, I will not change this bearing.

Moritz