Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baileyb00  
#1 Posted : 16 June 2014 10:26:03(UTC)
baileyb00

United Kingdom   
Hi all, I see from several other posts that my problem is not uncommon, (loco not reversing). However, I do have (i think) the correct transformer, the 6647 transformator model. The loco did reverse the first time I flicked the knob to the left but now when I do it she just runs in the same direction but at the spike voltage ie, very fast with lights blazing. So my question is; what do you think could be wrong and / or is there a way to convert the loco to dc and thereby control the loco's direction via track polarity or an on board polarity switch? The loco is from approximately 1970 and I have no box for it. Thanks, hopefully, Adam.Mellow
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 16 June 2014 11:29:30(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: baileyb00 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all, I see from several other posts that my problem is not uncommon, (loco not reversing). However, I do have (i think) the correct transformer, the 6647 transformator model. The loco did reverse the first time I flicked the knob to the left but now when I do it she just runs in the same direction but at the spike voltage ie, very fast with lights blazing. So my question is; what do you think could be wrong and / or is there a way to convert the loco to dc and thereby control the loco's direction via track polarity or an on board polarity switch? The loco is from approximately 1970 and I have no box for it. Thanks, hopefully, Adam.Mellow

Initially I would check the reverse unit to see if the spring is still there.

Assuming it's a 5700, those old 1G loco's are very similar in design to the H0 model of the same era, only larger, but things like the reverse unit were the same.

You might try downloading the Marklin Service Manual here (the manual is in English)

http://www.modelleisenba...s/pdf/Service_Manual.pdf

It may offer some tips to begin with.

I have an exploded view parts sheet for the 5500 in my parts book but not handy right now. Let me know if you need it or someone else may upload it.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline baileyb00  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2014 22:52:24(UTC)
baileyb00

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Assuming it's a 5700, those old 1G loco's are very similar in design to the H0 model of the same era, only larger, but things like the reverse unit were the same.

You might try downloading the Marklin Service Manual here (the manual is in English)

I have an exploded view parts sheet for the 5500 in my parts book but not handy right now. Let me know if you need it or someone else may upload it.

Cheers

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I actually had a poke about earlier and didn't really do anything but she appears to have started to work perfectly now. Should the loco perform an unrealistic jolt when changing direction though?

Steve

Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2014 10:11:15(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Cheers

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I actually had a poke about earlier and didn't really do anything but she appears to have started to work perfectly now. Should the loco perform an unrealistic jolt when changing direction though?

Steve

Well, plenty do, and again it's often just a matter of adjusting the reverse unit. If the adjustment is too 'tight' (spring tension too high) you'll get surging like you describe, or the runaway effect you first described.

If the tension is too 'loose' (tension too weak) you may find the reverse unit engages too early and the loco either fails to run or will randomly reverse at higher speeds.

The springs will weaken slightly over their lifetime so minor adjustment is not unusual but we aware it only take very fine adjustment to make quite a difference.

Also make sure you've given the motor bearings and motor train a small drop of oil, resistance in the drive can also give poor operation. Depending on how much running it's down over the years you might even be due for a set of replacement motor brushes.

Do yourself a favour, download the service manual I gave you the link for, it explains a lot of theory very well with good diagrams.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image