Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cyborg  
#1 Posted : 28 May 2014 06:50:28(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Hi all,

Just received my new Central Station and am very excited about exploring what I can do with it. I have a couple of questions for the gurus out there:
1) I note that it doesn't have an on/off switch. What do most people do regarding this when they finish using it for the day, do you just unplug it or is there some way to turn it off without doing this.
2) What is the programming track used for?
3) My Central Station came with a black box(part number 191724)where the cables that previously just plugged into the track from the Central Station now go through this box. What is it for.?(The instructions that came with it say the using it is a 'departure from the operating instructions for this unit' and must be hooked up to the layout through this box. No other connection methods are permitted)???????

sorry for my ignorance but the learning is part of the fun!

regards

Paul
Offline Janne75  
#2 Posted : 28 May 2014 07:36:20(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Paul,

I will just answer to your two first questions and leave the last question to our other members:

1) I note that it doesn't have an on/off switch. What do most people do regarding this when they finish using it for the day, do you just unplug it or is there some way to turn it off without doing this.

Answer: It is important to shut it down and not just unplug it. Go under "Setup" and there choose "Shut down" or "Quit" depending of the sofware version. Newest software version has this "Quit". Then wait until the loco shed doors are closed in the photo on CS2 screen and then you can unplug it. I have my CS2 60214 power connected with separate power plug with a switch, so I always cut off the power from there when CS2 has shut down.

2) What is the programming track used for?

Answer: For programming locos (one at the time only on the track) with programmable decoders without the need to remove all the other locos from the main track to program them. Many new locos can be programmed on the main track and other locos can be on the tracks.

Regards,

Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 28 May 2014 07:38:40(UTC)
H0

Hi, Paul!

Re 1: I don't know what most people do, but here's what people should do: Pull the plug or use a power line cord with a switch to turn power off.

Re 2: To program locos (using MM or DCC protocol - not needed for mfx or DCC POM).

Re 3: The box is needed to meed EU requirements and radio interference suppression. CS2 still works without it (and maybe even better) but they are legally required to tell people they must use it.

Edited by user 28 May 2014 22:11:27(UTC)  | Reason: Typo.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Cyborg  
#4 Posted : 28 May 2014 08:13:18(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Thanks Tom & Janne for your quick replies, I just updated it with the latest software which was pretty easy using an Ethernet cable as others have advised.

Cheers

Paul
Offline hvc  
#5 Posted : 28 May 2014 09:11:47(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Cyborg Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

Just received my new Central Station and am very excited about exploring what I can do with it. I have a couple of questions for the gurus out there:
Paul

I used to just pull the plug before I found the "Shutdown" button in the setup screen.

It is better to use the shutdown first as described above. If I don't, I find that some recent settings may not be saved, especially locomotive speed! Ie I would stop locos and shut down quickly, but when turning back on they would burst into life (sometime disastrously Scared ).

Definitely recommend shutting down first.

Herman
- Herman
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 28 May 2014 09:57:13(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: hvc Go to Quoted Post
I used to just pull the plug before I found the "Shutdown" button in the setup screen.
You can start the shutdown by holding the STOP bar at front of the CS2 for a few seconds.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline waorb  
#7 Posted : 28 May 2014 21:33:20(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Why Didn't I Think of That Before?! Woot
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 28 May 2014 22:04:04(UTC)
Webmaster

I always do as Tom described, hold the stop button - and when it has shut down, I switch the power distribution strip off....
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]