Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 27 May 2014 10:39:45(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
right:

PJ and Fabrice.

the ESU servo come in 2 versions, plastic and metal gears. the number for each servo motor is: 51804, 51805.

the servo motor has an input of 5 V DC and can be connected to a switch pilot servo 51820 (V2) this new Version has the capability for RailCom feedback.the switch servo will recognize the turnouts on your ECoS track plan, the switch pilot servo module has also a second option of controlling the servo motors manually by a pulse switch (external).

I have had a topic whereas I used the switch pilot module in conjunction with the servo motor but this time the turnout is controlled automatically via a switching track. further information needed ask me and I refer you to the topic.
the switch pilot module has various programmable functions: a.) the extend of movement to the right or left. b.) check movement from right to left and adjust speed control.

the programming starts usually with turnout being curved and the buttons provided to adjust the lever's position can alter to suit the turnouts end position. with K-tracks you have 2 options, either use the hand lever which is provided with each turnout and drill a small hole between the middle of the other 2 holes on the lever..
I've looked at Rinus illustration how he secured the servo motors to the board and I find it unnecessary to put a block underneath it. you can use several assortments of levers which are provided with the servo motor.

I have ruined several motors because I've clipped the wire to its correct length and by doing so I've shortened the motor, in hindsight the chrome wire is connected to the lever and the screw than holds the wire and the lever while screwing it into the servo motor cogwheel.
I've contacted ESU about this and they will supply plastic screws in future so nobody can make the mistake as I did by cutting the wire while the servo motor is connected to the switch pilot unit.

the last picture shows another option to control the servo motor connected to a switch pilot servo module via a switching track or reed contact or any other ground contact by using optocouplers.
the optcoupler has an independent current flow whereas on one side you can feed it with DC and the other side with AC.
the switch pilot servo pulse connection (second picture) shows eight connections (bottom left) these connection have an internal power supply therefore no other power source should be attached to it.
in the photos below you can also see the plastic casing the servo motor gets mounted into and the position of the casing can be switched into different positions, flat, upright etc etc.

the switch pilot servo module can be programmed via the Lokprogrammer

further information including diagrams can be requested

regards.,

John
river6109 attached the following image(s):
servo motor 8.JPG
servo motor 9.JPG
switch pilot servo.JPG
servo motor 10.JPG
servo motor 12.JPG
servo motor 11.JPG
servo motor 13.JPG
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 27 May 2014 12:50:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
here are a couple pages of the instruction booklet for the switch pilot servo , switch pilot extension
river6109 attached the following image(s):
instructions.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline biedmatt  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2014 13:39:34(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
right:

I have ruined several motors because I've clipped the wire to its correct length and by doing so I've shortened the motor, in hindsight the chrome wire is connected to the lever and the screw than holds the wire and the lever while screwing it into the servo motor cogwheel.
I've contacted ESU about this and they will supply plastic screws in future so nobody can make the mistake as I did by cutting the wire while the servo motor is connected to the switch pilot unit.

regards.,

John

I'm trying to wrap my head around this paragraph. Is the wire you cut the one that manipulates the turnout and not the three wires that operate the servo? Cutting that wire shorts the servo motor and damages it? I am lost because that wire appears to be isolated from the servo by the plastic servo arm and the plastic cog wheel of the servo motor. I am trying to understand what and how it was damaged and how a plastic screw would prevent damage to the servo motor. I can see how that wire's potential would be track ground (brown) due to contact with the turnout, but can't see how it makes to the servo motor to damage it.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 27 May 2014 14:02:01(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
right:

regards.,

John

I'm trying to wrap my head around this paragraph. Is the wire you cut the one that manipulates the turnout and not the three wires that operate the servo? Cutting that wire shorts the servo motor and damages it? I am lost because that wire appears to be isolated from the servo by the plastic servo arm and the plastic cog wheel of the motor. I am trying to understand what and how it was damaged and how a plastic screw would prevent damage to the servo motor. I can see how that wire's potential would be track ground (brown) due to contact with the turnout, but can't see how it makes to the servo motor to damage it.

Matt, the plastic sleeve I put around the metal rod myself to prevent any accidental contact with the rod.
secondly the motor gears are metal including the screw, so the metal rod is not isolated from the motor gears and the plastic lever doesn't isolate the rod from the gears if you look closely at the pictures.
the wire manipulates the turnout and the 3 wires from the servo motor are attached to the switch pilot servo module.
to understand how the servo motor works you have to open it up so the fact is there are also metal pins inside which hold the gear wheels in place and these pins are connected to the electronics within the servo motor.
explaining it in simple turns, the pins within the servo motor are under live current, the metal cog wheels are spinning around the pins and the brass fitting with its thread outside the motor this is where the screw and the plastic lever gets secured and the screw in turn also holds the rod in place.

regards.,

John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline French_Fabrice  
#5 Posted : 27 May 2014 14:03:43(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
John,

Thanks you very much for the pictures, and having taken the time to provide explanations.ThumpUp

Now I've understood how the steel rod is fixed on the servo arm.

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline biedmatt  
#6 Posted : 27 May 2014 14:12:13(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
right:

regards.,

John

I'm trying to wrap my head around this paragraph. Is the wire you cut the one that manipulates the turnout and not the three wires that operate the servo? Cutting that wire shorts the servo motor and damages it? I am lost because that wire appears to be isolated from the servo by the plastic servo arm and the plastic cog wheel of the motor. I am trying to understand what and how it was damaged and how a plastic screw would prevent damage to the servo motor. I can see how that wire's potential would be track ground (brown) due to contact with the turnout, but can't see how it makes to the servo motor to damage it.

Matt, the plastic sleeve I put around the metal rod myself to prevent any accidental contact with the rod.
secondly the motor gears are metal including the screw, so the metal rod is not isolated from the motor gears and the plastic lever doesn't isolate the rod from the gears if you look closely at the pictures.
the wire manipulates the turnout and the 3 wires from the servo motor are attached to the switch pilot servo module.
to understand how the servo motor works you have to open it up so the fact is there are also metal pins inside which hold the gear wheels in place and these pins are connected to the electronics within the servo motor.
explaining it in simple turns, the pins within the servo motor are under live current, the metal cog wheels are spinning around the pins and the brass fitting with its thread outside the motor this is where the screw and the plastic lever gets secured and the screw in turn also holds the rod in place.

regards.,

John

Got it, thanks John. I was thinking the motor had a plastic cog wheel, but it is metal instead. Interesting that the servo makers did not isolate the motor output from the servo circuitry. Perhaps that is impossible if the output shaft is used by the servo to determine it's location in the arc of travel.

Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 27 May 2014 14:32:39(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
right:

regards.,

John

regards.,

John

Got it, thanks John. I was thinking the motor had a plastic cog wheel, but it is metal instead. Interesting that the servo makers did not isolate the motor output from the servo circuitry. Perhaps that is impossible if the output shaft is used by the servo to determine it's location in the arc of travel.

Matt, ESU is looking at altering the metal screw for a plastic screw which I think is the simplest way of overcoming the possible shortening of the servo motor, nothing has been written about until I've raised the question and maybe I was the first idiot who cut the wire while it was connected to the switch pilot servo module but who would think it would create a short.

regards.,

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline biedmatt  
#8 Posted : 27 May 2014 15:30:26(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Yep, I would have cut them too and then wondered why the servos got damaged. Easy to understand how you could do it to a couple servos and not recognize the cause and effect.
Matt
Era 3
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 28 May 2014 04:28:39(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Yep, I would have cut them too and then wondered why the servos got damaged. Easy to understand how you could do it to a couple servos and not recognize the cause and effect.

Matt plus old age takes you longer to recognize or follow up a problem as I've installed about 25 of them and nothing happened but than again I think I did cut them beforehand.

John

Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 29 May 2014 07:21:05(UTC)
Goofy

Mostley of the customer choise servo motor with metal drew gear,which holds longer last time than plastic gear.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy