Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2014 08:07:28(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Some of you might have read my comments about a 2013 New Item that I received where a handful of wires that were supposed to connect the circuit board to one of the LED panels were missing. I have just sent the loco back to Germany (Maerklin) for repairs. the return shipment cost about 20% of the cost of the actual locomotive. I do not think that the customer should be liable for paying the cost of returning a defective model for corrective repairs. I am not sure how Maerklin will react, but I am monitoring the situation carefully and their response will have an effect on future purchases.

If you receive a brand new model that has a defect, would you:

A) Send it back to the dealer and let him deal with it. The dealer may return it to the distributor who will then return it to Germany with the next scheduled repair shipment. It would then be repaired at the factory and sent back to the distributor at the same time as a future order.

B) Ship it to the distributor (Walthers in the USA) who will then return it to Germany as above

C) Send it to Germany for repairs (likely quicker). The factory will repair and ship it directly back to you

and finally

D) Return it to the dealer for a credit/refund and make it clear that you would buy the item if he could get you one that was working.

Living in a City with no Maerklin dealer, this situation has been happening way too often and it makes me very hesitant to continue to place advance orders for items that I have not seen.

I hope that the company realizes that the return cost comes out of my model RR budget and that each dollar spent to fix these flaws is money that comes out of their pocket at the end of the day. I don't have months to wait for the dealer and distributor to deal with it and I don't see why I have to pay to get them to do a job right that should have been done before the item shipped in the first place.

What do you think?

Regards

Mike C
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 13 May 2014 09:37:37(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Hum... None of your ABCD options really applies to me.
I would probably NEVER buy anything in advance, without trying the product in the shop first.
I did buy advance/unseen a couple of times before, but I have never been happy with the result, so stopped doing that.
I rather prefer trying out the product first, knowing about its shortcommings before paying, instead of being unhappily surprised discovering these shortcomings later.

The problem with no nearby shop to visit, is for me the root to YOUR kind of problems (I stress that they are YOUR problems, not to confuse the issue with Märklins quality problems, which are of course causing problems for EVERYBODY!); In this case I would concentrate all my shopping to when I CAN actually visit a shop (even if this means only once a year), -or- specifically ask the seller to assure that the product is totally OK, and in case of problems ALWAYS resort to your option D.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 13 May 2014 09:59:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The dealer is the person you have contracted with and he should be the first point of contact if the purchased item is defective. This is especially true if the defect is a manufacturing fault and/or the item is under warranty.

I would say the correct course of action is therefore A. However if you really can't wait then you have to choose the option that works best for you. Another option not mentioned by Mike is a home repair, which could be easy, cheap and quick, depending on the problem. If the problem is just a case of fitting a couple of missing wires then this could be viable. There is also the option of accepting the item as it is and making life simpler for yourself. Probably no-one else will notice that little scratch, missing detail, or incorrectly working function.

At the end, it's a very personal choice about how to best deal with the issue, and everyone will have different priorities given the same circumstances.

Henrik highlights an all too common problem in today's world, where many of us no longer shop from the store on the High Street, and your dealer may well be on a different continent. I always try, when I'm travelling, to find a Marklin shop near to where I'm going to be, but this is not always possible or convenient. I love to browse Marklin locomotives and wagons in a well stocked shop, and then have my chosen item tested and demonstrated for me. Today this only accounts for a small percentage of my purchases unfortunately. Even when this is the case and I have bought an item from a real shop, there is then the problem that it may go wrong a week later when I've arrived home, thousands of miles away!

There's no easy answer to Mike's problem
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2014 10:41:45(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
the problem with fixing the problem yourself is definitely a solution or an option but a.) if you have to solder wires back on again and b.) another problem arises later on whereas you have no option to send it for further repairs under warranty, they may look at the loco and can see someone has been tampering with it (solder spots).

I have had a couple problems with Märklin locos but decided to fix it myself, Roco locos have been much more reliable although they had a period as the main shaft of the motor cogwheel came loose and a drop of superglue fixed that but I never had any problems a.) the loco not working, b.) the decoder being faulty.

My hobby involves happy hours but I'm not in the habit of sending stuff back especially when you find out there is nothing wrong with the item (ESU radio control) and they tell you to re load the radio control, its not their fault but where do you get information about having a faulty components and in the case of malfunction reload it.

I'm amazed at the lack of quality control and finding a solution by introducing adequate procedures so the item in question hasn't got the same problem over and over again.If people would take more notice of the airline industry maintenance procedures we wouldn't be in this mess and today a lot of industries have taken the overall concept of quality control from the airline industry such as the food industry and many others.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Irish Rail  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2014 11:28:35(UTC)
Irish Rail

Ireland   
I'm not sure what the contractual situation is in Canada, but here in Ireland your contract would be with the dealer - no ifs or buts. For a defective item you would be entitled to your money back, or to a replacement. Maybe check with your local consumer protection body for details.
Offline Drongo  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2014 12:20:08(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I used (C) and sent some items back for repairs under warranty. Marklin Service department received them on 25th March 2014 and I have sent 3 emails requesting some idea of when I am likely to receive them back. No-one at Marklin has bothered to reply. My feeling is that Marklin have dropped their quality control in order to reduce costs and as a consequence the Service Department is inundated with repairs. This is absolutely very poor management and now I can see why the previous CEO was shown the door - even if he did come across as a very nice man. Maybe one day I'll receive my items - but I won't be holding my breath.

Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline biedmatt  
#7 Posted : 13 May 2014 14:39:47(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
The bottom line is how much does Marklin mean to you? Is their product worth the trouble and lost money fixing what should have never needed fixing? Only you can answer that question. I appreciate one or two items will slip through QC, but a series of product with the same problem should never happen. That simply, is poor quality control. I know some of us here bash Marklin from time to time, myself included. But in the end, it is I who pay for their mistakes, not Marklin. Yes, I have fixed myself or paid to return defective product. I think my willingness to bend over for them buys me some level of complaint.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 13 May 2014 14:58:09(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Matt, virtually all the comments posted above are true irrespective of who the manufacturer is. I agree totally that quality control is very important. If I bought a few items from the same manufacturer and found more than one of them faulty I would probably think about whether I was buying from the right people.

Fortunately, I have had excellent results from all my Marklin purchases recently, so it's not an issue for me for Marklin, though I have had some problems with a couple of other brands. I gather others have not been so lucky with their Marklin.

As an example which is not MR related, I bought a Nikon digital camera about a year and a half ago. It is one of the compact models. It takes excellent pictures, but shortly after the guarantee ran out I started having difficulty selecting the different shooting modes. The buttons on the back of the camera seem to have a mind of their own, and they have to be pressed repeatedly to achieve what you want. I mentioned the problem to the owner of the shop where I bought it and he said he could send it back to the repair centre, but the standing repair charge is actually higher than the cost of a new camera! I have also discovered that others with similar Nikon cameras are experiencing the same problems. I would not have expected a company with the reputation that Nikon has to have accepted such poor quality in one of their products, but unfortunately this seems to be commonplace nowadays.

Coming back to Marklin, it would be interesting to find out what percentage of failures or defects they get in relation to the number of products they sell. We always hear about the problems, but we don't always know how many buyers are perfectly happy with what they've bought.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Harvey  
#9 Posted : 13 May 2014 17:31:58(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Over the years I have returned any problem to my local hobby store. I am fortunate to have a quality store nearby and they perform some repairs in store or return the purchase to Walters and provide me a replacement. This is why I try to purchase mostly from them. I am also fortunate to have a major on-line distributor near my work place. I just drive over to him for any purchase. I utilize him to obtain items no longer available via my local store. This on-line distributor told me that he also can provide repairs.

While I do search the internet I am reluctant to make purchases, being concerned about defects, returns and postage. Of course, the approach I follow does cost me more but I have less risk.

I am now facing my first return to Marklin. I have 10 signals 76xxx v2 and I need to return them to Marklin to upgrade the decoder. I am awaiting the US Marklin representative to let me know contacts/process to do this. Likely I do not need to go through them but I feel more secure knowing the person I can contact and follow up if any issues.

Regards

Harvey
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 14 May 2014 00:03:53(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Mike,

I sympathize with your predicament, because I occasionally buy by ordering in advance, and getting it shipped by post.
Even though the dealer here is only 12km away.

In any case, when the fault is ascertained within a few weeks of receiving the model, I believe the best option is D.
This gives the dealer a choice, which in Australia, he/she is obliged BY LAW to follow up until you are satisfied.

If the model is older, and has been used, it is simply your choice of which method of return is most convenient to YOU.

Overall, yours and my model railroad budget needs to take account of returning costs (as % of purchases) either to the dealer, or (in NA) to Walthers, or to Goppingen.
Warranty on any item (cars, appliances, toys) never did include covering cost of shipping, or return for that matter. That is a fixed cost.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#11 Posted : 14 May 2014 02:10:57(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I am unlikely to do A,B,C, if D is a possibility then I'll go for that but if the item is rare or comes in a very large packaging like the three crocs with the white new Yorker or a Berlingroth which might be complicated/expensive to get another outside Germany then I'll keep it.

On top of the costs there could always be arguments with customs, scratches, lost items, missing bits, broken bits, is the warranty being extended? etc. I am very good at screwing things up myself, I don't need any help. The number of things that can go wrong with A,B and C are so many that I won't take it the risk. If I can I'll fix it myself I'll do it but if not, I'll take the good with the bad and hope its mainly good.

Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 14 May 2014 03:39:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
At this point, I am going to provide a link to the original topic: https://www.marklin-user...5--Issue.aspx#post452267

I had considered having the wires installed and soldered locally, but due to the fact that these cables run past the motor and cannot interfere with the movement of the motor bogie, a proper installation would require expert manipulation and as any work would technically void the warranty, I decided that there was little option other than to return the model for repairs.

I did ask the dealer if they had any others in stock. If they would have had one available, I would at least have asked them to test it to see if it was ok and if there was no issue, to hold it for exchange. Alas, they reported that they had special ordered a pair of locos and both had been sold. I did not find out if the other buyer also had the same issue.

I received a reply from Goeppingen stating that the customer is responsible for paying the shipping to Germany and Maerklin will pay for the repairs and shipping it back to the customer.
I replied that I did not think that the customer should have to pay what amounts to an extra 20% to get a model with the assembly error corrected. The onus should be on the company to deliver functional goods. I am waiting to see what kind of reply that I receive, but I have already taken some initial action.

Effective immediately, my dealers will be informed that all of my orders (locos) must come with a signed certificate from the supplier stating that the item has been inspected and all functions tested.
I have also decided that I will NOT be acquiring a second Maerklin Re 420 LION, meaning that my Zurich S-Bahn consist will have dual locomotives from another manufacturer.

So far, this adventure has cost me a little extra and has already cost the company at least 250 Euros in lost revenue.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#13 Posted : 14 May 2014 06:13:56(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
At this point, I am going to provide a link to the original topic: https://www.marklin-user...5--Issue.aspx#post452267

Effective immediately, my dealers will be informed that all of my orders (locos) must come with a signed certificate from the supplier stating that the item has been inspected and all functions tested.

Mike C

Consider it done!!!

Offline grnwtrs  
#14 Posted : 14 May 2014 06:32:38(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post

Mike C

Consider it done!!!

By the way, there is a dealer in Detmold that provides for return shipping in the event that
a model does not meet the buyers expectations

Regards, gene
Offline mike c  
#15 Posted : 14 May 2014 21:25:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I got confirmation of my order for a pair of non-Maerklin Re 420 LION locomotives for my S-Bahn Doubleheaded train from the dealer. Given the excellent job that that particular company did when faced with complaints about the paint work on one of their recent Re 4/4II models, I am confident that there will be no problems with those models.

The Maerklin loco (when it comes back) will find itself pulling specials like the following consists:
http://www.bahnbilder.de...ternationale-zug-an.html
http://www.bahnbilder.de...egend-lion-re-44-ii.html
http://www.bahnbilder.de...e-re-44-ii-lion-420.html
http://www.bahnbilder.de...0-zieht-am-29032014.html
http://www.bahnbilder.de...-2-zieht-rund-649214.jpg

Not a push me pull you consist, but still will make for fun runningSmile

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 03 June 2014 18:25:57(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I checked the USPS/DHL tracking information on the loco that I returned to Goeppingen for repairs and according to what I could find out, a customs/post notice was sent to Maerklin over two weeks ago and DHL still does not show that the loco has been picked up from the Post Office. I don't know how frequently Maerklin retrieves returned goods from the mail, but I would hope that it is more frequently than once a month.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Shamu  
#17 Posted : 04 June 2014 09:51:27(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
I checked the USPS/DHL tracking information on the loco that I returned to Goeppingen for repairs and according to what I could find out, a customs/post notice was sent to Maerklin over two weeks ago and DHL still does not show that the loco has been picked up from the Post Office. I don't know how frequently Maerklin retrieves returned goods from the mail, but I would hope that it is more frequently than once a month.

Regards

Mike C

When I sent my 60173's back for exchange DHL site said delivered but signed for by customs ???

Auspost site said delivery attempted.

When I contacted Marklin I got replys from 2 , no 3 different people with 1 reply saying it was in customs and would be a month or 2. The other reply was a repair notice (with my address that they could only have if they had the package and enclosed paperwork) for 2 x 60174's.

About 2 weeks later they turned up on my doorstep. About 6 weeks all up from when I sent them.

My conclusion was that;

1) DHL either don't properly inform the sending postal service or they don't listen or log it properly and
2) Marklin doesn't know what's going on between departments.

Best of luck,

Shane
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline Drongo  
#18 Posted : 04 June 2014 14:50:03(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
My conclusion was that;

1) DHL either don't properly inform the sending postal service or they don't listen or log it properly and
2) Marklin doesn't know what's going on between departments.

Best of luck,

Shane

Frank must be away again.Cursing Cursing Cursing
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline mike c  
#19 Posted : 04 June 2014 20:23:17(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Maerklin probably has a broker or some other agency that handles customs and duty/taxes on inbound shipments. It seems that DHL sent Maerklin a notice that there was a package to be retrieved, but DHL has not confirmed that Maerklin has picked it up yet. Normally, I would not expect a company to have to pay any duty or taxes on an item that is being returned for repairs, but I am not an expert on how parcels are processed by German customs and post office.

It is also possible that the item was delivered, but the scan was not recorded

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#20 Posted : 18 June 2014 03:40:37(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I received a message from Maerklin saying that "Reparatureingang"

vielen Dank für Ihren Serviceauftrag und das damit in uns gesetzte Vertrauen. Das/Die von Ihnen
eingesandte/n Produkt/e wird/werden schnellstmöglich von uns wieder instand gesetzt.

I take it to mean that Maerklin has received my defective loco.

I would have like to have received a more personalized response and hope that the returned loco will be accompanied by a note or apology.

How hard can it be to write "Dear Sir: Upon inspection of the item your returned to us, we noted that there were wires missing on your locomotive and this will be immediately corrected and the model will be returned to you as quickly as possible. Thank you for your interest in Maerklin."

I still feel very definitely that the customer should not have to bear any additional expense to get a manufacturing flaw corrected. Especially not when it amounts to a 25%+ increase in the price of the item.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 18 June 2014 07:44:35(UTC)
H0

How hard can it be to write "Dear Sir: Upon inspection of the item your returned to us, we noted that there were wires missing on your locomotive and this will be immediately corrected and the model will be returned to you as quickly as possible. Thank you for your interest in Maerklin."
The loco arrived, the copy of the invoice was inspected (maybe) and the loco was shelved.

Don't expect excuses. Typically you get standard replies such as "loco was cleaned, loco was tested, loco applies to series standard."
Then you test it to see whether the red lights work on both sides.
They might confirm that they corrected the light functions, but an excuse would be a very big surprise for me. I haven't seen such a text template in any repair report from them.

My latest repair parcel arrived at Göppingen on May 9 (Märklin signed for it).
E-Mail confirmation was sent on May 16.
On June 5 I received a snail mail letter announcing that my locos had been forwarded to one of their service partners for repairs because of the limited capacities at Göppingen. That was the last I heard.

Adding two wires to your loco shouldn't take long - but we don't know the length of the queue. My loco may have to wait for spare parts (lights don't work correctly, but the problem is with the "bird seed" (i.e. SMD thingies) on the loco board, not a simple matter of missing cables).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline cookee_nz  
#22 Posted : 18 June 2014 09:12:16(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
I received a message from Maerklin saying that "Reparatureingang"

vielen Dank für Ihren Serviceauftrag und das damit in uns gesetzte Vertrauen. Das/Die von Ihnen
eingesandte/n Produkt/e wird/werden schnellstmöglich von uns wieder instand gesetzt.

I take it to mean that Maerklin has received my defective loco.

I would have like to have received a more personalized response and hope that the returned loco will be accompanied by a note or apology.

I still feel very definitely that the customer should not have to bear any additional expense to get a manufacturing flaw corrected. Especially not when it amounts to a 25%+ increase in the price of the item.

Regards

Mike C

I'm with you on this Mike, but I can also see the conundrum Marklin are in.

The first thing is that by and large, they are a German company primarily supplying and servicing German customers. Yeah yeah I know the anecdotes about more of their production going to Switzerland than anywhere else but you get my drift. So from that point of view, they have little control over where on the globe a customer might be located and freight from outer-Mongolia might be quite a tidy sum indeed. Therefore in the case of a Loco which was previously operating normally and then failed due to premature failure of a part etc the offer to repair free under warranty provided the item is sent to them at the owners expense is probably not unreasonable and certainly not out of line with other manufacturers.

But... having said all that, Marklin do choose to operate internationally, they make many many models specifically for the N.A market and frankly, if they were to decide to abandon ALL production and exports for and to countries outside Europe, could they even survive financially?

So, if it is indeed a documented manufacturing defect as appears to be the case, then in this instance I would argue that they should bear the freight cost both ways but absolutely they should return it at no cost to you. But I can also see that they do need to exercise some control over incoming freight costs, otherwise they'd have every T, D&H sending repairs back to them by chartered jet!! (ok, kidding slightly) Flapper

If it were to be a big enough problem, perhaps they should look at some form of Return Authorisation where they pre-vet warranty claims, and then if accepted THEY should arrange collection of the unit using their preferred freight company, ideally someone 'like' DHL who have worldwide representation etc, even if you needed to get it to their local depot armed with the consignment info and they would take it from there. You'd think M. would be able to negotiate the handling of something like this at far more competitive rates than customers doing it ad-hoc.

It would seem your only option is to bypass their Service Dept and direct your concern right to the top and let it filter down. At the end of the day, QC let them down on this, it should have been picked up much sooner and would serve as a reminder that a stitch in time saves nine.

Wonder if anyone did any tracking of the number of units that left with these wires missing, right down to recording Serial numbers because that would very quickly show a trend if you had 700 units all sequential and all with the same problem, 100% a manufacturing defect. On the other hand if they did catch it quickly and only say 150 went out well with the 'fault' (omission) at least they caught it, and the cost of covering freight for those units wouldn't cripple them.

Did I read earlier that you did in fact buy it from a Dealer at the other end of your country?, how would the freight costs there have compared with sending direct to Marklin? (at least it would have been their hassle from that point and possibly as a dealer they may have received a higher level of response?

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz