Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 26 April 2014 05:19:53(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The LS Models Gottardo has been out for a few months now. LSM finally released the version with sound and I am pleased to report that my model has finally arrived. At first glance, I am extremely impressed with this model. So far, I have taken only the two pilot coaches and the power unit out of the box. I put the three coaches on my test track and did a little function test.

The lighting features are among the best that I have ever seen. The options are never ending. The model comes with sound functions. There is no station announcement. It would have been nice to have the French, Swiss and Italian announcements, but given the variety of light functions, there was little space for additional sounds.

This video shows some of the functions:
The sounds are not the same as on the official model.
I think this more recent video is of the actual model with sound:

The coaches without any skirting modifications are IMHO way better than the way that Maerklin rendered them.
The compromise on the motor coach is something that I am willing to live with. It will be interesting to see what modifications that LSM will make. I have been assured that all upgrades will be made available to customers who already purchased their models.

I will try to take some photos with the various interconnecting gangway part options. LSM is working on a new improved design that will also be retrofitted on models already sold.

The train is a little longer than the Maerklin one, but I think this one is already a home run.

Did I mention that the AC model has an ESU decoder with mfx...?

Regards

Mike C
mike c attached the following image(s):
LSM RAe TEE.jpg
LSM RAe TEE 02.jpg
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 28 April 2014 12:40:56(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Mike,.

you've mentioned there aren't any functions left over for station announcements. If it is a ESU decoder you should be able to re-locate some of the other functions, e.g. sound on to F0 etc. etc.
will watch the video and see if there is anything else can be done

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 02 May 2014 10:39:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I finally accessed the decoder using My Lokprogrammer and the latest update. There is a German announcement assigned to F25.

Each coach of the LSM train is about two cm longer than the Maerklin model, so let's say 30cm compared to 282. The LSM model has many more light functions and options than the Maerklin model, which has interior lights and headlights assigned to the same function. The LSM has motor sounds, horn, whistles, and other effects. The Maerklin model has a station announcement and a horn sound.
Having owned the Metropolitan (4Assi), Lima, Maerklin and LSM Models, I can definitely state that the LSM one is my favourite.
I hope to have a chance to test it on my teppichbahn (floor layout) in the near future. I can't fit all six coaches on my test track.

The pilot and passenger coaches from LSM look much better without the movable skirting. I fail to understand why Maerklin could not come up with a similar solution. Modifying the unseen parts of the bogie rather than the external shell seems like a more thoughtful compromise. The LSM model has small cutouts and shell covers adjacent to the motor bogies. They will apparently provide modified bogie parts that will allow the motor coach to operate with the complete skirt pieces, making for a seamless appearance. I don't understand why LSM could not use the same solution that they used for the passenger coaches from the start.

I think that anybody considering a model of the Gottardo should take a look at the LS Models version before the go out and order the Maerklin one. This applies primarily to modellers who have curves larger than 420mm.

I love the Maerklin model because it is metal and that makes it special, but when all features are considered, I have to give the edge to the new LS Models version.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 15 July 2014 08:42:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The latest update on the Gottardo modifications is that Daniel Piron posted in Forums LR Presse that the conception drawings for the modifications are in the final stage and that the information will be posted to the LSModels.com site at the end of summer. Customers who already purchased the model will reportedly be able to obtain the new parts through their dealer.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c