Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kweekalot  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2014 20:33:16(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Joined: 27/06/2012(UTC)
Posts: 3,235
Location: Holland
OK, this was it, I'm headed for the newport bridge ! UserPostedImage

Just found out that a 1960s super rare unbuilt kit of WIAD (1057 B) Hotel Royal has just been auctioned for € 351,- and I was too late to do a bid.
UserPostedImage
I was willing to sell a kidney so I could buy this kit.

LINK TO EBAY

One of the features of Hotel Royal is a working elevator and a blinking 'neon' light. Love

For modellers and collectors who like 1960's kits the WIAD Hotel is definitely one of the coolest and most desirable and sought after kits ever.
I guess this kit is at least as rare as the WIAD Cola Factory (1055 B) and the WIAD Aral parkhause (1072 B) and 10 times more rare than an unbuilt Faller B-905.

On the internet I found two pictures of a a built 1057 B Hotel so you can see what it looks like.

Marco


UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Shamu  
#2 Posted : 03 April 2014 01:30:12(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Joined: 12/07/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,068
Location: In a building site in Yeppoon
Holy snapping duck doo

I had one of those back in the 60's, sold it with all my Hornby gear around 1970.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2014 09:50:40(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Joined: 18/03/2007(UTC)
Posts: 5,648
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Apparently almost any WIAD realizes a good price.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/O814-Ancienne-maquette-WIAD-train-Ho-60-boite-1063-magasin-maison-Geschaftshaus-/390802786135?pt=FR_YO_JeuxJouetd_TrainsElectriques&hash=item5afda94757

The item number is 390802786135 if you are unable to follow the link.
A couple of WIAD kits feature on his eBay site.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail (USA and Australia) - 3 rail (English Hornby Dublo) - a few old O gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline biedmatt  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2014 13:39:32(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Joined: 09/04/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,343
Location: Southwest Ohio
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Apparently almost any WIAD realizes a good price.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/O814-Ancienne-maquette-WIAD-train-Ho-60-boite-1063-magasin-maison-Geschaftshaus-/390802786135?pt=FR_YO_JeuxJouetd_TrainsElectriques&hash=item5afda94757

The item number is 390802786135 if you are unable to follow the link.
A couple of WIAD kits feature on his eBay site.

regards
Kimball


You said it Kimball. The Wiad stuff just amazes me with the prices. They made a crane attachment that would grasp container boxes. 350 euros was the asking price I saw for one. This is a steal at 175 euros.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/C...&hash=item338cd98b9f
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline kweekalot  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2014 18:59:22(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Joined: 27/06/2012(UTC)
Posts: 3,235
Location: Holland
Well, not all WIAD products are that expensive.
You can still buy wooden or plastic 1950/60s WIAD H0 stations and houses on German ebay for very reasonable prices (€ 10 - € 20).

But yes, some product are uber expensive, like the WIAD catalogs from the 1950s and 1960s. (€ 80 for a thin A5 format catalog is no exeption) and of course the super cult models like the Hotel, the Coca Cola factory and the AEG factory.

On 18 March an already assemble Hotel kit (with some broken parts) was auctioned on ebay for € 256,=
This is the highest price I've ever seen for a built kit (regardless of the brand).


UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline sjlauritsen  
#6 Posted : 03 April 2014 19:37:17(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Joined: 18/08/2007(UTC)
Posts: 1,081
Location: Denmark
I'm curious, if you collectors manage to get your hands on an un-built kit, I would suppose that the kit stays that way? I mean, that's what makes it worth its money right? Smile
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: http://baneforum.dk/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline kweekalot  
#7 Posted : 03 April 2014 20:26:00(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Joined: 27/06/2012(UTC)
Posts: 3,235
Location: Holland
Yes you are right, but I think it's more than just the money.
I 'collect' unbuilt 1960s Faller kits, nothing fancy, at the moment I only have 10 kits or so.
It does not feel right to build them. I like to keep them mint and unassembled so I can pass the Faller legacy to future generations.
And it is great to see all those lovely tiny parts still on their sprues.

UserPostedImage
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Shamu  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2014 05:19:43(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Joined: 12/07/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,068
Location: In a building site in Yeppoon
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
Yes you are right, but I think it's more than just the money.
I 'collect' unbuilt 1960s Faller kits, nothing fancy, at the moment I only have 10 kits or so.
It does not feel right to build them. I like to keep them mint and unassembled so I can pass the Faller legacy to future generations.
And it is great to see all those lovely tiny parts still on their sprues.



Yeah, but what about those kits that when you get them they have had the blender treatment and all you have in the box is some sprues and a pile of bit in the bottom of the box Crying
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline kweekalot  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2014 06:35:40(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Joined: 27/06/2012(UTC)
Posts: 3,235
Location: Holland
On German ebay the descriptions of old kits are usually pretty good.

Sometimes is indicated that the seller don't know for sure whether all parts are complete.
That is the ebay way to say that some parts are missing.
Offline bevtreasure  
#10 Posted : 06 November 2019 19:18:25(UTC)
bevtreasure

United Kingdom   
Joined: 12/10/2019(UTC)
Posts: 6
Location: England, Fleetwood
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
OK, this was it, I'm headed for the newport bridge ! UserPostedImage

Just found out that a 1960s super rare unbuilt kit of WIAD (1057 B) Hotel Royal has just been auctioned for € 351,- and I was too late to do a bid.
UserPostedImage
I was willing to sell a kidney so I could buy this kit.

LINK TO EBAY

One of the features of Hotel Royal is a working elevator and a blinking 'neon' light. Love

For modellers and collectors who like 1960's kits the WIAD Hotel is definitely one of the coolest and most desirable and sought after kits ever.
I guess this kit is at least as rare as the WIAD Cola Factory (1055 B) and the WIAD Aral parkhause (1072 B) and 10 times more rare than an unbuilt Faller B-905.

On the internet I found two pictures of a a built 1057 B Hotel so you can see what it looks like.

Marco


UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage


Just found this as i was searching for Wiad online-https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wiad-Ho-1057-B-Grand-Hotel-With-Elevator/173858243163?_
so if you haven't already sold that kidney, maybe have a look!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bevtreasure
Offline kweekalot  
#11 Posted : 06 November 2019 20:45:01(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Joined: 27/06/2012(UTC)
Posts: 3,235
Location: Holland
$245 seems cheap for that WIAD kit, it is very sought after.

But not for me this time, now > 5 years later I'm more interested in some Trix Express models that are even more rare than WIAD 1057, like station Trixstadt
https://www.marklin-user...-Trix-Express#post600822
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#12 Posted : 07 November 2019 00:57:05(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Joined: 26/03/2019(UTC)
Posts: 72
Location: Florida Classic but Successful Swampland City
Love Love Love Drool

I must call the Padre and set an appointment for Confession...

Broke that pesky 10th commandment...again...RollEyes

Jimmy
Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

| Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2019, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.561 seconds.