Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hackcell  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2014 20:03:14(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Hello,

What's recommended to clean old cars (4052/4054) without damaging the paint/texts? I was thinking about a product called novus, which is used to polish pinball machine playfields, but I'm afraid it could be too abrasive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2014 23:40:37(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,

Dirt

Edit - Apologies for this post posted further down in topic, ignore this post... /Webmaster

Edited by moderator 03 April 2014 19:08:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline PMPeter  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2014 05:01:21(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Not sure what triggered this type of response.

Anyway Danilo, I am not familiar with Novus, but if it has any abrasives in it, I would not use it. As you point out any abrasive would most likely remove the lettering and scratch the paint..

It depends on how dirty the cars are. I usually start off with something mild like dish detergent, or if it is something sticky I try Goo Gone or lighter fluid and very gently try to rub the dirt off. Test it in an area that is not obvious in case you're using something that is too strong.

I also always wipe the cleaned area with clean water just to make sure no form of corrosive detergent remains.

Cheers
Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Hackcell  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2014 06:46:24(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Good evening,

Thank you for your answer, Peter. I really don't know the word in english to describe it, but it is like the black, sticky dust which it used to attach to the CRT televisors, due to the electrical charge. I'll try with Goo Gone.

Once again, thank you.
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline Br502362  
#5 Posted : 02 April 2014 09:46:43(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post

Anyway Danilo, I am not familiar with Novus, but if it has any abrasives in it, I would not use it. As you point out any abrasive would most likely remove the lettering and scratch the paint..

It depends on how dirty the cars are. I usually start off with something mild like dish detergent, or if it is something sticky I try Goo Gone or lighter fluid and very gently try to rub the dirt off. Test it in an area that is not obvious in case you're using something that is too strong.

I also always wipe the cleaned area with clean water just to make sure no form of corrosive detergent remains.

Cheers
Peter

I have used toothpaste with warm water rubbing gently with a finger tip. A little bit more aggressive than dish detergent but works fine for me.

Regards

Åke
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline kbvrod  
#6 Posted : 02 April 2014 15:26:45(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   

Cheers
Peter

Sorry Peter,all,Sad
Maybe grumpy bums like me should stop posting.ThumpUp
I made a plea sometime ago to at least do a search before asking something that has been asked many times before,that's all.

Again apologizes to all.Blushing

Dr D

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline grnwtrs  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2014 05:59:35(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

What's recommended to clean old cars (4052/4054) without damaging the paint/texts? I was thinking about a product called novus, which is used to polish pinball machine playfields, but I'm afraid it could be too abrasive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sorry to come late to the party, but on another Marklin list (originally hosted from NL) the same question was
asked. How to clean cars/engines of the "plastic" version?

The answer proffered by a Dealer in Miami Florida, says to simply spray the dirty car/engine with a household product in the USA known as Fantastic. It comes in a red colored spray bottle.
Let dry overnight.

I used this stuff on a 1 gauge engine (5720) and simply sprayed on and let sit overnight.
Wiped the engine with a soft clean cloth and most if not all of the grime came off.

I would direct you to the archives of that list and you can surely find the discussion.
I can't help you with that, since I really do not know how to access the archives on this listConfused

Good luck

regards,
gene
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline Hackcell  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2014 06:15:28(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post

Cheers
Peter

Sorry Peter,all,Sad
Maybe grumpy bums like me should stop posting.ThumpUp
I made a plea sometime ago to at least do a search before asking something that has been asked many times before,that's all.

Again apologizes to all.Blushing

Dr D

Hi Dirt

No worries at all, we all have bad days. And true, I should have investigated a little more before asking.

Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hackcell
Offline Hackcell  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2014 06:18:20(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: grnwtrs Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sorry to come late to the party, but on another Marklin list (originally hosted from NL) the same question was
asked. How to clean cars/engines of the "plastic" version?

The answer proffered by a Dealer in Miami Florida, says to simply spray the dirty car/engine with a household product in the USA known as Fantastic. It comes in a red colored spray bottle.
Let dry overnight.

I used this stuff on a 1 gauge engine (5720) and simply sprayed on and let sit overnight.
Wiped the engine with a soft clean cloth and most if not all of the grime came off.

I would direct you to the archives of that list and you can surely find the discussion.
I can't help you with that, since I really do not know how to access the archives on this listConfused

Good luck

regards,
gene

Hi Gene,

I'm flying to Florida in a couple of weeks, so I'll check the product. Maybe we have something similar here in Costa Rica.
Otherwise (if TSA doesn't get nuts because of it) I'll bring home a couple of bottles :-)
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline Hackcell  
#10 Posted : 04 April 2014 06:20:25(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: Br502362 Go to Quoted Post

Cheers
Peter

I have used toothpaste with warm water rubbing gently with a finger tip. A little bit more aggressive than dish detergent but works fine for me.

Regards

Åke

Hi Åke

I'll test with toothpaste later today. in a couple of cars.

Thanks!
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 04 April 2014 14:49:33(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I wash all my grubby trains in warm water and washing-up liquid. If it's kind to your hands it's also good for model paints and printing! I use an old toothbrush to gently rub off any stubborn stains.

It's very important with metal wagons to dry them thoroughly after cleaning in a warm dry place. Hang it over a radiator or other source of dry heat. If not the dreaded rust will not take long to show itself!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.