Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Yaasan  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2014 11:38:12(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi all,

I'm currently developing MM2 shield. I implement old MM2 protocol which describes in NEW MÄRKLIN-MOTOROLA FORMAT.
This shield includes power booster. I have replaced the booster hardware to MOS-FET motor driver IC.

Does someone know new MM2 256 address protocol? Also some Roco MM2 locomotives can control many functions, for example F5 or more. MM2 protocol specifies F1-F4 only. How does Roco implement the feature?

Checked locomotives:
-Roco BR602 No.69106
-PIKO BR182 No.57816
-Marklin No.29791 "ICE 2" Digital Starter Set class 402 of the DB

Photo:
UserPostedImage

Video:
http://buin2gou.sakura.n...ge/MVI_6997.mp4video.mp4

Circuit diagram (This diagram has many bugs. Now I have designed and ordered 2nd prototype to FusionPCB):
UserPostedImage

Circuit layout:
UserPostedImage

Best reagrds,
Yaasan
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Yaasan
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2014 15:34:01(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Yaasan Go to Quoted Post
Does someone know new MM2 256 address protocol?
Forget the trits. There are eight bits for the address. One address is reserved, so 255 addresses remain. But I don't know the details how this is encoded. In the ESU LokSound 2.0 manual (available from esu.eu) you can find a table that lists addresses and byte values, maybe that helps.

Originally Posted by: Yaasan Go to Quoted Post
Also some Roco MM2 locomotives can control many functions, for example F5 or more. MM2 protocol specifies F1-F4 only. How does Roco implement the feature?
They simply use F1 through F4 for the next address - just like Märklin MM locos with more than 5 functions.
Modern decoders can use 4 addresses to provide access to F0 through F16 (ESU) or F0 through F15 (Märklin).

BTW: ESU decoders support 28 speed steps by using a reserved bit as the fifth speed bit.

Some decoders support 27 speed steps. You could implement that in your controller by sending two different speed commands.
If the decoder receives speed step 1/14 after 0/14 it will run at speed step 1.
If the decoder receives speed step 1/14 after 2/14 it will run at speed step 1.5. Thus you get 13 half steps that add to the 14 steps of the MM protocol for the final 27 speed steps.
It's nice for the user when the controller supports 0 through 27 and handles this internally.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Yaasan  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2014 11:04:40(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi Tom,

Thank you for help. I read ESU LokSound 2.0 manual. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't describe the 256 address table but describes about 80 old address. I will check output pulses of MS2 which Some dummy locs registered.

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

They simply use F1 through F4 for the next address - just like Märklin MM locos with more than 5 functions.
Modern decoders can use 4 addresses to provide access to F0 through F16 (ESU) or F0 through F15 (Märklin).

If I want to output a pulse of loc address 3 and F5, I need to output a pulse of loc address 4 with F1, right? I will test you mentioned.

Best reagards,
Yaasan

Offline Yaasan  
#4 Posted : 14 April 2014 01:12:40(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi all,

I have developed 2nd version DCC/MM2Shield. I implement MM2 protcol(MM2 new) and DCC to this shield.

PCB and parts:
UserPostedImage

Assembled example:
UserPostedImage

MM2 locomotive and DCC/MM2 Shield:
UserPostedImage

Video (MM2 locomotive runs and work sounds):
http://yaasan.mints.ne.j...emo20140405.mp4video.mp4

Unfortunately, I don't implement MM2 extended function which includes F5-F16 and speedstep 28.

This shield is available for Desktop Station such as Railuino and CAN-BUS shield.

Best regards,
Yaasan
Offline mcs51  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2021 17:04:00(UTC)
mcs51

Belgium   
Hello Yaasan,

Very few hits in google for "Arduino" & "MM2" protocol.
This thread is one of them...

Is this project still alive / finalized?
I'm looking for an Arduino based hardware capable of generating MM(2) protocol to drive 1, maximum 2 locs on a diaorama.
If I'm not mistaken this is what your shield does, right?

Thanks for any reaction!
Regards
Alain
Offline aswap5  
#6 Posted : 03 April 2021 19:37:12(UTC)
aswap5

India   
Alain,
I think the project is no longer under development (Yaasan's website doesn't seem accessible anymore). It needs a can bus shield and a Marklin track box (60113 or equivalent). I had downloaded the sketch a long time ago, but on another computer. If I can locate it, I'll let you know by pm

It may be simpler to try a raspberry pi/rocrail based solution. Check here if it will work for your needs: https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=mbus:mbus-en (it seems beyond my technical capabilities)

Regards and happy Easter

Ashok
Offline mcs51  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2021 10:24:21(UTC)
mcs51

Belgium   
Thanks for your answer Ashok !
I think it’s still alive under the name DesktopStation HERE
This is exactly what I need clic
I can of course change the decoder in the loc so that I can work with DCC (BaseStation), but I would prefer to keep the loc original and use MM2 protocol.
I know Rocrail & CCSchnitte, I use that for my track, but that is overkill for this diorama.
Happy Easter to you, and all readers, too!!
Offline aswap5  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2021 10:58:27(UTC)
aswap5

India   
Glad you found a solution Alain. I was searching for the old site!
Offline marklinist5999  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2021 16:52:19(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
These little components aren't very difficult to make by a person with some knowledge of electronics. Like the one described a week or 2 ago for updating an MS2 used as a stand alone controller.
When the Delta corded speed cntroller was in fashion, I made my own with Radio Shack parts. A blue case, a red momentary contact button switch, and a rehostat.
My brother an electrician told me I was lucky and it was a fluke it worked, because I guessed on the reohstat. When rotated fully to one direction, the loco also reversed without using the button. The button did work though. I still have it packed away with the delta control unit.