Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Paul59  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2014 23:39:26(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Hi, I've got a strange problem.
I use an ecos 50200 and also have an old Marklin cs1 connected to the sniffer port on the ecos in order to get an extra couple of control knobs.

This works fine with both locos and accessories.
However, in order to control MFX locos the loco must have a sniffer address set.

I have eight MFX locos, some have Marklin decoders and some have ESU M4 decoders (Lokpilot V4).

Most of these work fine but a few of them won't let me set a sniffer address. I set it in the loco edit screen but it doesn't update to the decoders (other changes to the settings update to these decoders ok).

The problem is not limited to one type of decoder - I have ESU AND Marklin decoders that take a sniffer address and both types that don't.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

All non MFX locos simply have the sniffer address set to zero and work fine.

I have raised the voltage on the ecos to just over 19volts as I read somewhere that MFX like a highish voltage to accept changes. I don't know if this is true but it made no difference.

The software version on the ecos is 3.7.

Thanks for any help,
Paul

Edited by user 19 February 2014 13:38:36(UTC)  | Reason: Added ecos software version

Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2014 03:03:06(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Paul59 Go to Quoted Post
... but a few of them won't let me set a sniffer address. I set it in the loco edit screen but it doesn't update to the decoders ...

I have no experience with the ECos,
however my first point of clarification would be that you might be talking about 2 different aspects.
1) mFX locos can have a MM address loaded so they will work on non mfx controller - this is stored in the decoder
2) the sniffer port is a "controller" feature for translation - not a decoder feature

It is possible that the implementation of the ECoS may link them but that seams a bit restrictive

Some screen images might help,
What do ESU support say?
Peter
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2014 04:12:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
What about the railcom feedback setting ?, same suggestion as Peter, get in contact with the English version ESU support forum, what I find strange thou is the Märklin mfx decoders do it as well.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2014 08:18:31(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Most of these work fine but a few of them won't let me set a sniffer address. I set it in the loco edit screen but it doesn't update to the decoders (other changes to the settings update to these decoders ok).
The sniffer address is not stored in the decoder, it is stored in the ECoS only.

No need to press the Programming symbol after changing the sniffer address. Always leave the settings screen with a click on the OK symbol.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Paul59  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2014 10:18:17(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the replies and suggestions/explanations everybody.

I am aware that mfx decoders have an address stored for operation on non mfx controllers. That address is storing ok.

I too assumed that the sniffer address was not stored on the decoder but only needed to be entered in the controller.
However I tried deleting the locos and then re-detecting them and some still showed the sniffer address whereas others (the ones that don't work with the controller attached to the sniffer port) had returned it to zero.
I assumed then that in some cases it was being stored in the decoders since it still showed.

Maybe they hadn't deleted properly.

Incidentally I tried all this with rail com both on and off. I also tried it with the asymmetric track current both on and off.
Niether of these made any difference.

I will make sure that all mfx locos are on the track and that none of them have any functions or speed ste[s set and that none are selected in a controller. Then I will use the 'delete all mfx (m4) locos feature of the ecos. I will then take them off the track for a while then put them back on and let them all re-detect and see what the settings show.

If I still can't get them all to work when I enter sniffer addresses I'll take some relevant screenshots and post them up.

Thanks chaps,
Paul
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
Offline Paul59  
#6 Posted : 19 February 2014 13:49:26(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
I think I've got to the problem.
I deleted all the locos from both the ecos and the CS1 then let the ecos re-detect them all.
I entered a sniffer address for each one in turn on the ecos and entered them manually on the CS1.
They all worked except for one. Whilst I was trying to get this to work I noticed that the CS1 had mysteriously changed an address on a different loco that I wasn't even editing!
Then the CS1 rebooted itself and then went blank.
I powered it up again and it seemed ok but I think there is something wrong with it so put the sniffer problem down to that.

I will keep the CS1 just for a spare controller for testing conversions etc. as it looks like it can't be trusted for intense use.

Thanks for your help anyway chaps. At least I know a bit more about how sniffer addresses work now so it wasn't an entirely wasted exercise.

I think I'll look out for a Marklin MS1 that I can plug into the ecos and get an extra control knob that way.

I've changed the status of my question to resolved.

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Paul59
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 19 February 2014 20:18:43(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
... Then the CS1 rebooted itself and then went blank....

This is the classic symptom of the CS1 "recovering" from a situation where poor programming from a PC/mobile App over the Ethernet is not designed correctly.

Do you use a PC or MobileApp ?
I have found the CS1 in particular DOES NOT LIKE THE BEHAVIOR of these remote apps WHENEVER a configuration change takes place.
More to the point the warmstart will happen after an accumulation of errors (lacke of state change handling) and any changes you have made will be lost - having a battery in the CS1 has "debatable" effect on this.

More too the point of this thread I cannot see how a CS1 configuration would not allow for the ECoS sniffer values not to save as you describe. Unless you meant to say that it did save but didn't work (because the CS1 was sending a different address than you expected.

Peter
Offline Paul59  
#8 Posted : 19 February 2014 22:27:43(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the info Peter.
The sniffer addresses were saving on the ecos - I hadn't realised that they don't need to be saved on the decoders just the controller.

I had got seven out of my eight MFX locos to work with sniffer addresses but the eight one didn't want to play. However this was the last one I tried and by that time the cs1 was playing up so I think it was just that.
I have reset it to factory state and removed all accessories from it so I may give it another go from a 'clean state' as it were.

I don't have a computer connected. I do use Touchcab sometimes but I didn't have it connected when all this was happening.

I don't really need to use the CS1 in sniffer mode along with the ecos I just thought that, since I had it, I'd give it a go. I like to fiddle about and seem to spend most of my time putting things right again afterwards BigGrin

Paul
Offline Paul59  
#9 Posted : 27 February 2014 19:53:35(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Just a final update on this problem.
As I suspected it was something that I had done on the CS1 that was confusing it - two things in fact Blushing .

Firstly, I had two BR216 loks registered separately but also registered together as a consist. I had been running one of them singly. Whilst the ecos doesn't seem to mind this the CS1 seems to prefer that you delete the consist if you want to run the loks singly. The mystery change of address that the registration on the CS1 of the troublesome mfx lok experienced was to one of these BR216 addresses - coincidence perhaps but I doubt it.
The second thing I had done wrong was that I had the programming track output from the CS1 plugged into the sniffer input on the ecos instead of the CS1 main output. I don't know how much difference this would make as it still seemed to work ok but it can't have helped things.

I have since made sure that it was all plugged together correctly and done a factory reset of the CS1. I reloaded all the locos and they all work fine including all the eight mfx locos that are auto detected on the ecos. All eight have a sniffer address set and the CS1 connects to and controls them just fine.

So, the moral of the story is - check what you're doing before you blame the equipment BigGrin

Thanks for your help and suggestions - it was a good learning experience.

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Paul59
Offline Webmaster  
#10 Posted : 27 February 2014 20:55:33(UTC)
Webmaster

Great reading, and also great to know you got to the actual root of this strange 8th loco problem...
This is a very good tip indeed - remember what you may have done earlier... Wink

I have not used the CS1 in "sniffer connection" mode since I don't have an Ecos, I use it as a paired controller with the CS2 via Ethernet.
Unfortunately you cannot do this with Ecos unless you upgrade the CS1 with the ESU 3.0 option, I imagine, which is not available any more officially from ESU as I understand it...

I really dislike when two companies do not support basic compatibility between eachothers former joint achievements/products due to some businesspeople disagreements...
In the end, it is the customer/end user who will decide "what side" to buy from - But the customer will always be the victim and pay for the stupidities in some way...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 01 March 2014 09:27:08(UTC)
H0

The second thing I had done wrong was that I had the programming track output from the CS1 plugged into the sniffer input on the ecos instead of the CS1 main output. I don't know how much difference this would make as it still seemed to work ok but it can't have helped things.
This shouldn't make any difference as there is a relay inside the CS1 that normally connects the programming track output to the main track output.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage