Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklin61  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2014 10:42:11(UTC)
marklin61

Hi all,
I am looking at getting feedback from electric loco users whether they run their locos with their pantographs up or in the down position. I ask the question because most magazines, You Tube clips including marklin TV mostly show the pantographs in the lowered position. Which then poses the question why.? Is it because the newer marklin catenary system cannot support the tension of the pantographs when in contact.? Or is there some other reason why most operate with lowered pantographs. I am looking at adding catenary to my own layout but would ideally like to run my locos with their pantographs raised. Look forward to any comments or experiences.

Regards Steve
Steve...............

Life with Pinot Noir, Chocolate and Marklin trains..........
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklin61
Offline Renato  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2014 12:11:02(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Steve,

I do not have catenary so I can not answer your question.

IMHO the reason why you see the locomotive running with lowered pantographs is that doing so there is no risk to damage them if the catenary is not mounted correctly.

Cheers

Renato
Offline Gregor  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2014 12:14:44(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
If you look at the demo video of the E93 Insider model, you can see how the tension of the pantograph pushes upwards the catenary wire quite a bit. Not a very nice effect in my opinion, and rather unprototypical.
Another reason could be the risk of getting stuck, but if the wire is positioned properly, that risk is very low.

best regards,
Gregor
Offline petestra  
#4 Posted : 16 February 2014 12:16:22(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Steve, I see them working fine on John's (river6109) layout and his many videos. I

still use the old catenary. Peter Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline jvuye  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2014 13:22:44(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Views messages in topic : 2,881
Originally Posted by: marklin61 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,
I am looking at getting feedback from electric loco users whether they run their locos with their pantographs up or in the down position. I ask the question because most magazines, You Tube clips including marklin TV mostly show the pantographs in the lowered position. Which then poses the question why.? Is it because the newer marklin catenary system cannot support the tension of the pantographs when in contact.? Or is there some other reason why most operate with lowered pantographs. I am looking at adding catenary to my own layout but would ideally like to run my locos with their pantographs raised. Look forward to any comments or experiences.

Regards Steve

Hi Steve.
Indeed they look so much better with the pantographs in the "up" position.ThumpUp
There is no secret the wires needs to be straight **and under tension** (like the real one!)
Sommerfeldt edits a small "how to" booklet, which is the reference in that matter.
It is not hard to do, just takes some care + precision when installing the poles and the wires, and using the tensionning accessories.
IMHO, best to use Sommerfeldt masts and wires + accessories. Way more robust and more realistic even though just a little more work than Märklin's or Viessmann.
Märklin doesn't make functional tensionners, but you can use the Sommerfeldt ones
Sommerfeldt is not easy to find in the USA, but if you get in touch with your local ETE chapter (www.ete.org) I am sure they'll share with you where they got their equipement from.
Hope this helps

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2014 14:40:05(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
there are a few things you have to incorporate before commencing and it would be handy if you live near a railway so you can copy and get the right idea how it all works.

John

Edited by user 18 February 2014 12:39:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 16 February 2014 15:09:34(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I use the Viessmann catenary, which is identical to Märklin. It works very well, as long as it has sufficient tension. Just follow the instructions. I run my locos with pantos up on the parts of my layout that has continuous catenary.

Powering the locos from the catenary is optional. I don't, as it adds no realism visually and only complicates things operationally. Others will disagree, of course. You can run your trains in whatever manner suits you best.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 16 February 2014 20:32:00(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Steve,

My catenary tracks cover a continuous linear section in an oval, of 11 metres.
Double that, because it is double track. There are also crossovers and turnouts.
The catenary is unpowered.
I use Marklin C track, and the latest Marklin catenary.

My locos run with pantos up, I like to see the slight rise and fall of the pantos as they adjust to the position of the catenary.
I set up the catenary carefully, and I rarely get snags.

Like yourself, I particularly wanted the realistic look with locos running under catenary.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline PJMärklin  
#9 Posted : 17 February 2014 09:59:02(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Hello Steve,

After considering the alternatives I have been using Sommerfeldt caternary for 31 years, but as advised by Märklin, I still run the digital signal/power through the
3rd rail rather than the overhead.
The Sommerfeldt is very robust, versatile and prototypical (if you feel prototypical is very important). I can run my locos with the pantographs up without any
problems in all but one area awaiting overhead completion (the preiserlings are still complaining, I received a petition just last week)
Interestingly, you can then still run any analogue electric locos you have by the overhead wire power using the two outer rails as the earth common
to both systems. I have not yet done this, but have only one candidate - a very old Lima cisalpine TEE set converted to run on the analogue overhead.

Regards,

PJ
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline marklin61  
#10 Posted : 17 February 2014 20:52:13(UTC)
marklin61

Many thanks guys.. Some very good feedback for me to chew over. I do not intent to have operational catenary, it's more for realism. It seems being accurate in the set and correct tensioning are the key.
I do some more research but at least there are forum members here experiencing reliable operation with their electic loc's. I didn't want to have a expense of purchasing a catenary system for it not to be used..!!! It seems that not to be the case if installed correctly. Thanks for those that have shared their experiences.
Steve...............

Life with Pinot Noir, Chocolate and Marklin trains..........
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklin61