Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hoffmann  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2014 23:26:22(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hi all,

Aside from the Tin Plate Pass Cars I also have fitted the Plastic Passenger cars with rechargeable LED Lighting. I am using 2 Varta 150mA Ni-Hy batteries. The picture shown is with yellow LED.

One can us warm white or bright white LEDs as well.

The car does not have to taken apart to charge the Batteries. Have a look at the side Picture and you will see the connector for --on/off-- and the charging connection.

Battery Life is well over 24hr on a single charge . Cost per car is less then $ 10.00 and you will not see any of the components once installed.

The reason I started this that there is no Pick-up Shoe and Ground strap needed and the Price is actually less the a conversion with a pick-up shoe.

Martin
Hoffmann attached the following image(s):
013 (800x600).jpg
014 (800x600).jpg
016 (800x600).jpg
marklin-eh
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Hoffmann
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 08 February 2014 03:22:14(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I would be worried about the possibility of the batteries getting warm during charging and melting the plastic. What is the voltage used to charge the batteries and does each coach require it's own charger? I see the four pins for the charger, but cannot clearly see where the switch is situated.
What about the Rapido Trains Easy Peasy system with the magnetic wand?

Regards

Mike C
Offline Hoffmann  
#3 Posted : 08 February 2014 14:36:51(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hello Mike,

Rapido Easy Peacy uses batteries ( not rechargeable ).Also every time you change the batteries you must take the Car apart. On my system you only need one Charger for all the cars which have this LED Lighting. The Ni-Cads will not get warm during Charging since I am using a slow Charge ( 8 hr ). The --On/Off-- Switch is just a Jumper between the two Top Pins ( same one as used on a Computer Floppy Drive ).

If a MFG would make this Lighting in quantities OEM cost would be around US$ 6.00- 7.00 .

Martin
marklin-eh
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hoffmann
Offline BrandonVA  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2014 16:48:32(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Martin,

Interesting conversion. With LEDs it doesn't matter that much, but digital users may slightly rejoice in this type of solution as it does not draw anything from your track power. If you're operating an MS/MS2 near the threshold it could make a difference. Some light weight plastic coaches could also benefit from the ballast added by this conversion. Also, no drag from the slider...

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2014 15:48:15(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Interesting modification, but I think, it is more usefull to use current-carrying clatches and in one car, e.g. the driving trailer a function decoder to switch front light, rear light, high beam and interior light for the full train.

I have shown such an modification here: https://www.marklin-user...fer-with-capacitors.aspx