Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 13 January 2014 01:08:16(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
While model trains are a nice hobby, I have also found that a lot of work can go into getting them running sweetly.
In particular, the work applies to the building of a layout with scenic items to make the operation meaningful or realistic.

Any layout (temporary or permanent) requires the track.
Through years of effort, I have used set pieces of track, and flexible track in OO and HO gauges.
The flexible track required work in cutting, joining, ensuring alignment, and in eventual ballasting for realism.

Marklin and Trix C track was a revelation to me.
All of a sudden I could find joy in running trains within minutes of getting the stuff out of a box.

HO/OO track was originally made with steel (Triang, Maerklin M, Lima and Fleischmann for a start), brass (Fleischmann and Atlas), and then nickel-silver (eg. Peco a cupro 90%/nickel 10% alloy).
In contrast C track is made with stainless steel (Inox), and the central pick-up studs with a mild or normal steel.

Maerklin have made their models so backward compatible over 80 years, that I believe their early HO models will generally run on C track.

I just love the fact that I can run 2-12-0 steam engines through R1 curves (radius 360mm), and build a fully operating layout in a space of 1m x 2m.

I also own many US models of hand-made brass, but have never been able to build a layout for them.
They require a radius of 30" (750mm), and I do not have the space for that. What fun is that?

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 13 January 2014 06:51:46(UTC)  | Reason: additional words to subject heading

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline michelvr  
#2 Posted : 13 January 2014 01:26:13(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Dear Kimball,

Your words speak what we all know about Marklin! Even though I am no longer in the hobby, I must comment!! When I first started with Marklin over a couple of years ago I was like you, totally amazed that everything ran out of the box on the track! No matter how fast the train set or locomotive ran it stayed on the tracks! Quality like no other! Michel
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 13 January 2014 08:06:06(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Kimball,

I am a big fan of C tracks and previosuly posted my review of this track systemThumpUp

I also think it looks great, so fully agree with you!

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 13 January 2014 10:12:59(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
While model trains are a nice hobby, I have also found that a lot of work can go into getting them running sweetly.

I also own many US models of hand-made brass, but have never been able to build a layout for them.
They require a radius of 30" (750mm), and I do not have the space for that. What fun is that?

regards
Kimball

Hi,
I do have a set of Trix C track in the R9 curves (radius 1m+) which I use to run my brass or 2 rail locos.
it works well too.

I do not have the space for any permanence, so I set it up temporary on my patio (we call it a verandah).

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Renato  
#5 Posted : 14 January 2014 00:53:36(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

I do not have the space for any permanence, so I set it up temporary on my patio (we call it a verandah).

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball,

Very funny indeed: in Italy we call it "veranda".

Cheers

Renato

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Renato