Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2014 05:29:49(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have my 29486 Set. I still have to pick it up and bring it into Canada.
I wanted to know which is the correct power supply:

http://www.eurorailhobbi...20supply&stock=60055

http://www.eurorailhobbi...20supply&stock=66365

From what I understand, the 60055 has an AC output (16VAC)
The 66365 has a 18VDC output.

Will either work with the MS2 included with the Startset? Is there an advantage to one or the other?

Thanks and regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2014 06:48:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yes, either will work, but the Switched Mode Power Pack has stabilised power output, which means that as the load on the power supply increases, the power supply maintains the correct voltage output, whereas voltage will drop with using the 60055 at maximum load.

There is no advantage in using the 50va 60055 instead of the 30va 66365 to get greater power output, as the MS2 maximum output of 1.9 amps is governed by the grey track connection box - the 30va power supply will be sufficient for that.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2014 08:07:31(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Thanks for the reply. I guess I will order the adapter plug. I do have one (or two) additional question(s):

The MS2 and most recent mfx are designed to work with DC power. Older Motorola digital loks use DC as carrier wave for the digital signal, but some still use the AC for power. How will those loks work with the new digital system? Is there a risk of the motor heating up more than it should? I am thinking about my old 3638 and some of the delta loks.

My other question concerns the locomotive card. None of my other fx/mfx loks have come with a card. Do I need to create cards for them or is that just a gimmick?

Are there any other precautions when using coaches with interior lighting with the MS2/CS2?

Thanks

Mike C
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 07 January 2014 08:24:45(UTC)
H0

All digital decoders drive all motors with DC. The current on the track is the same with AC or DC power supplies as all digital controllers contain rectifiers and run on DC internally.

It should be noted that 16 V AC result in a higher track voltage than 18 V DC. Higher track voltage can lead to faster locos and more smoke from smoke generators, but also to hotter motors and brushes that wear faster (more sparks between brushes and collector).

Loco cards are an option (plug'n'play for fx starter set locos).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline 3rail4life  
#5 Posted : 07 January 2014 08:57:27(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi Mike,

Back to your original question, I would use whichever power supply comes with the set, if you prefer the 120V model, go with 66365. The power supply pictured in your second link is not it, but most likely 66361 Euro plug model, which works great too. If you get the 66365 you will not need an adapter.

The Lok cards are handy if you have a lot fx locos, once you fill up the MS2 with 40 locos you may find them useful.

Cheers,

Gordon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2014 03:50:09(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Yes, either will work, but the Switched Mode Power Pack has stabilised power output, which means that as the load on the power supply increases, the power supply maintains the correct voltage output, whereas voltage will drop with using the 60055 at maximum load.

There is no advantage in using the 50va 60055 instead of the 30va 66365 to get greater power output, as the MS2 maximum output of 1.9 amps is governed by the grey track connection box - the 30va power supply will be sufficient for that.

Other than the fact that the 60055 can also be used to power accessories, is there any advantage to having the older transformer rather than the plug-in adapter?

If the new adapter is only to be used to power the MS2, how would you power accessories (lights, signals, etc)?

Regards

Mike C