Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline walter__  
#1 Posted : 30 December 2013 17:25:46(UTC)
walter__

Belgium   
Hi all,

as I am new to the forum, I hope to be in the right place :-)

a little over a year ago we had a major power problem, destroying our marklin interface, the control unit and a few keyboards..
to get it working I created my own Interface/Control unit, with a Ethernet connection, all controlled by pc.
With the description of the "New Marklin Motorola format" all works fine.

Now we want to add MFX to it, the MFX format itself is no problem, but does anyone know how MFX works together with MM2 on track ?

thanks,
Walter

walter__ attached the following image(s):
IMG_1406.jpg
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 31 December 2013 08:38:56(UTC)
Goofy

You need an total new software and also hardware to use mfx togehter with MM.
Even if locomotivs has mfx decoder,you need complete new system to use mfx decoder and not only MM.
Mfx decoder is an MM decoder, but works some different like to register automatic on the track with MS2 or and CS2 system.
There is two difference MM decoder and it´s MM1 or MM2.
MM1 stands for the dip switches, while MM2 is electronic way like to program decoder on the track.
I´m not really sure if someone did build byself an digital unit with mfx protocol too.
Never heard about it...
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 31 December 2013 09:49:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
You need an total new software and also hardware to use mfx togehter with MM.
Nonsense.

Mfx decoder is an MM decoder, but works some different like to register automatic on the track with MS2 or and CS2 system.
If Tams Master Control can do it, others can do it, too. No new hardware required. Tams does it without automatic registration.

Rubbish. mfx is a completely new protocol that has nothing in common with MM protocol.
Not all mfx decoders support MM protocol.

@Walter:
Sorry, can't help you to get it going.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline tulit  
#4 Posted : 31 December 2013 22:06:30(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
An easier approach may be to just get one of the simple track connector boxes (i.e. the 60112).

The interface on these is just a standard CAN and the protocol is well documented. You can then support mfx + MM and not worry about any of the electrical level details
See medienpdb.maerklin.de/digital22008/files/cs2CAN-Protokoll-2_0.pdf (this is the ethernet version, but the serialized version is effectively the same)

This way, you can get rid of all the custom hardware too. All that's needed is just a simple serial or ethernet to CAN converter and a wiring harness.

I don't know of anywhere that the actual track-level MFX protocol is documented publicly.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tulit
H0
Offline sjlauritsen  
#5 Posted : 01 January 2014 10:08:02(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: tulit Go to Quoted Post
The interface on these is just a standard CAN and the protocol is well documented. You can then support mfx + MM and not worry about any of the electrical level details
See medienpdb.maerklin.de/digital22008/files/cs2CAN-Protokoll-2_0.pdf (this is the ethernet version, but the serialized version is effectively the same)

OMG the version 2.0, how did you find that? Märklin only links to version 1.0 from their website. I wrote them a few months back to get hold of the new protocol to my Windows Phone / Windows 8 mobile station app. They said that they did not have any newer documentation (obviously not true), and that made me put the project on hold.

Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline tulit  
#6 Posted : 01 January 2014 13:01:43(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: tulit Go to Quoted Post

OMG the version 2.0, how did you find that? Märklin only links to version 1.0 from their website. I wrote them a few months back to get hold of the new protocol to my Windows Phone / Windows 8 mobile station app. They said that they did not have any newer documentation (obviously not true), and that made me put the project on hold.

They always post them on the cs2 updates page. It's been out for a long time.
Offline walter__  
#7 Posted : 01 January 2014 14:38:32(UTC)
walter__

Belgium   
Hi all,

I know that it can be done to switch between protocols, it does not interfere with the power on track. Of course it would be possible to make a "standard" for our system, only we would like it to be transparent, to be able to follow future implementations.

The alternative sollution of buying a controller and putting a sniffer on it is not in our interest.

That we would like to keep on using our own hardware lies in the fact that over the years we made software, that makes the trains run fully automatic, with track feedback.
As our hobby is electronics, programming and trains, we enjoy making our hardware/software, which can be seen here http://ewlok.eos-electronics.be/ the site is Dutch, as it our native language.

@tulit: info on MFX protocol I found here http://www.alice-dsl.net/mue473/mfxrahmen.htm (German)

greetz,
Walter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by walter__