Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jkoellmer  
#1 Posted : 22 December 2013 16:36:50(UTC)
jkoellmer

I recently purchased some Swiss National Railroad Sommerfeldt catenary cross spans for my Marklin Swiss layout. The kits come with a million parts (little clips, wires, hangers and other), but no instructions for assembly. Is anyone aware of a site or source of instructions for assembly? In English. Thanks in advance for your help…
Jeff
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jkoellmer
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 22 December 2013 16:46:21(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline jkoellmer  
#3 Posted : 22 December 2013 17:11:17(UTC)
jkoellmer

Thanks.. I have an older Sommerfelt booklet that is written mostly in German, but I haven't been able to get much out of it. I hadn't thought about a new booklet being available.
Jeff
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jkoellmer
Offline jetavdk  
#4 Posted : 22 December 2013 18:20:51(UTC)
jetavdk

United States   
Sommerfeldt has a new instruction booklet done in color. I purchased it from Eurorail Hobbies a few years back. Lots of photos and it is printed in German and English. Much improved vs. the one from the 1980's/90's.

http://www.eurorailhobbi...002&ca=44&sc=All

That's the one! I should have clicked the link before replying, too bad it shows out of stock right now. At least the model# is given so you can source it from somewhere else.

Ted
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 23 December 2013 18:13:45(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
I agree with the others- the new color book is great!

Also- remember a lot of these cross spans and the like are modular, and you won't necessarily be using every part in the bag. Use the extras to get a good stash of spare/leftover parts going, for example to lengthen a different cross span when it doesn't comes with enough in the kit down the road
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline Robert Davies  
#6 Posted : 26 December 2013 02:24:51(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
I found myself in exactly the same situation as jkoellmer and I have to say that I have never bought a self-assembly kit of anything only to find on delivery that you have to buy the instructions that tell you how to put it together! Anyway, I bit the bullet and bought the book on Ebay at a considerable discount so I didn't feel quite so annoyed after that, and the book does give lots on detail about catenary layouts and design as well.

5HorizonsRR is correct as well. The kits have enought parts to enable you to configure the structures and attachments in every possible way, so whatever arrangement you choose, you will have some bits left over.

You will see from the instruction manual that the method shown of joining the portal framework sections is by soldering but even in the illustrations in the book the result is a rather ugly solder blob which is completely non-prototypical. I am therefore using Industrial Cyanoacrylate (super-strength superglue) which achieves the same end result but with a much better-looking finish. The only problem is you can't unsolder cyanoacrylate so you have to get it right first time.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Robert Davies
Offline rbw993  
#7 Posted : 26 December 2013 19:31:41(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Jeff,
I have the book and can scan and email you the relevant pages. What is the part number of the cross span. Sommerfeldt makes two versions.

Roger Williams
Offline kbvrod  
#8 Posted : 26 December 2013 20:16:12(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Robert,all,
> I found myself in exactly the same situation as jkoellmer and I have to say that I have never bought a self-assembly kit of anything only to find on delivery that you have to buy the instructions that tell you how to put it together! Anyway, I bit the bullet and bought the book on Ebay at a considerable discount so I didn't feel quite so annoyed after that, and the book does give lots on detail about catenary layouts and design as well.<

That's because every layout/situation is different.You get the book first and then order the pieces you need.Wink

>5HorizonsRR is correct as well. The kits have enough parts to enable you to configure the structures and attachments in every possible way, so whatever arrangement you choose, you will have some bits left over.<

Also,how much detail do you need?Even if it cosmetic,those detail(isolators,etc) can look very cool,....

>You will see from the instruction manual that the method shown of joining the portal framework sections is by soldering but even in the illustrations in the book the result is a rather ugly solder blob which is completely non-prototypical. I am therefore using Industrial Cyanoacrylate (super-strength superglue) which achieves the same end result but with a much better-looking finish. The only problem is you can't unsolder cyanoacrylate so you have to get it right first time.<

Soldering catenary is a skill and if on is going to run E-loks off it a necessary,CA will insulate the electrical connection. Also remember that wire tension both on your model railway and on the vorbild(prototype) is important!

D
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline Robert Davies  
#9 Posted : 22 January 2014 00:29:29(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
kbvrod wrote:
Soldering catenary is a skill and if on is going to run E-loks off it a necessary,CA will insulate the electrical connection. Also remember that wire tension both on your model railway and on the vorbild(prototype) is important!

I was referring to the joining of the sections of the SBB portal framework (cross-span) (Sommerfeldt 370/371) so electrical conductivity is irrelevant. I also intend to use Viessmann overhead wire suitably modified so wire tension is not an issue either.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)