Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline robertrt  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2005 01:19:24(UTC)
robertrt

Hello

Any ideas or photos to help me with a non working 7687 digital decoder? I have a dealer who will ship it back to Marklin for me but he said it would take some time for its return. I have sucessfully operated the turntable with the conventional switch so the motor is working properly as well as the indexing. Thanks.[|)]
Robert J P
Offline Maxi  
#2 Posted : 17 July 2005 04:19:33(UTC)
Maxi

When the decoder is connected what happens when the unit is powered up. What sequence of lights stay on or flash. Do the lights flash as per the manual to indicate normal initialization.

The reason I am asking is because I too had problems with the 7286 turntable decoder and the lights did not flash as per the illustrations in the manual.

I too sent a email to the place I bought the unit from and the message was forwared to Marklin and I still have not heard from them, that was a year and a half ago.

I did manage to solve my problem though. I noticed that the sockets which the plugs plug into were touching the circuit board (I am refering the the round part of the socket which the plug plugs into). Under some of the sockets there are parts of a copper trace for another part of the circuit, if the socket touches that copper trace then the system would fail to operate. I solved my problem by unsoldering the sockets and raising them slightly and resoldering them. After this the unit worked perfectly.

Hope this helps solve your problem.

Maxi
Offline robertrt  
#3 Posted : 17 July 2005 21:34:51(UTC)
robertrt

Hello Maxi

I have looked at the circuit board of the unit and I do not see any copper trace which would interfer with the operation. I went ahead anyway and placed a sliver of plastic under the connectors just in case. All three lights come one when I turn on the power. They stay on no mater what buttons I press. I have the keypad set at address 15 as per instructions (off/on/on/on). Maybe a picture would help.UserPostedImage[/img]
Robert J P
Offline Maxi  
#4 Posted : 17 July 2005 22:05:48(UTC)
Maxi

My circuit board is then from a different revision. Looks like yours is one of the first to have been released since there only seems to be copper traces on one side, where mine has traces on both sides.

Will check my decoder when I have a few spare minutes. Just a little too hot right now, it is +35 with humidity.

Offline robertrt  
#5 Posted : 18 July 2005 02:43:19(UTC)
robertrt

Maxi

Thanks for taking the time to check this out. It is 95 plus here in Boca Raton Florida. Temperature index about 100.
Robert J P
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 18 July 2005 10:42:33(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by robertrt
<br />Maxi

Thanks for taking the time to check this out. It is 95 plus here in Boca Raton Florida. Temperature index about 100.

Thats too hot[:0].
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Maxi  
#7 Posted : 22 July 2005 23:28:20(UTC)
Maxi

Sorry for the delay in responding, this was the first chance I had to check my decoder.

The revision of my decoder is V3.1, when I power up the decoder after connecting all of the wires to the system and transformer the yellow light flashes for a few seconds then goes out and then the green light turns on and stays on. I am not sure what to suggest.

If you are sending your decoder in for repair it might be wise to also send in the turntable so that any modifications which were done to the current models would also be done to yours. When going through the manuals for both my turntable and decoder there was a paragraph indicating that modifications were made after 2002 in order for the decoder to work properly. I was fortunate that all the modifications were already done to my turntable.

There is also a website where a person came up with his own design of a decoder for the Marklin turntable and a few others. I already got the parts for it and will hopefully have time this winter to build it and use it instead of the Marklin decoder. The advantage is that the turntable does not produce the clicking sound and extra lighting is provided. Also feedback abilities are provided to let the computer know when the turntable has stopped turning. Instructions are very detailed from what I can see. The decoder can be built from scratch or bought ready made, firmware is free and constantly updated when improvments are noticed or features thought of.

The website is in German but using the Google word translator seems to help in making sense of the information. The website is http://www.digital-bahn.de/sdekoder/drehsb.htm
Offline robertrt  
#8 Posted : 23 July 2005 07:32:30(UTC)
robertrt

Hi Maxi

Thanks for taking the time to research my problem. I would love to try to build the decoder shown on that German website but it is way too complicated for me. I don't know how to find out what the cost of a ready made one would be. I am going to send the decoder back to a dealer who says he will forward it to Marklin for repair. I am in the beginning stages of the layout so time is not important. I can use the conventional switch in the meantime. As far I can tell this turntable has be modified to utilize the digital system. Thanks again

[^]
Robert J P
Offline Fredrik  
#9 Posted : 23 July 2005 14:28:04(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi,

a complete decoder of that kind costs € 38,50- at http://www.bmbtechnik.de/preisliste.html

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline robertrt  
#10 Posted : 23 July 2005 17:40:22(UTC)
robertrt

Hi Fredrik

Thanks for that link. I need to find a web site or downloadable program that will allow me to translate whole web pages from German to English.confused Do you know of any?
Robert J P
Offline Fredrik  
#11 Posted : 24 July 2005 02:00:21(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi Robert,

no I'm sorry I don't know of any such program (don't neeed it Smile ). I myself are about to build a few of the others from the Digital-Bahn.de website... I'm quite happy with my 7686 turntable and it's decoder for now though, else I could have made a second unit for you too - but now I can't test such a unit as I'm not willing to rebuild my turntable...

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline Maxi  
#12 Posted : 24 July 2005 02:22:35(UTC)
Maxi

I just use the language tools on the google website. It does a decent job of translating on a word for word basis most web pages.
Offline robertrt  
#13 Posted : 24 July 2005 06:05:04(UTC)
robertrt

Thank you gentlemen. The quest continues![8)]
Robert J P
Offline steventrain  
#14 Posted : 24 July 2005 18:56:13(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by fredsaf
<br />Hi,

a complete decoder of that kind costs € 38,50- at http://www.bmbtechnik.de/preisliste.html

Fredrik.

Cant find in english[xx(].
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline robertrt  
#15 Posted : 24 July 2005 19:18:40(UTC)
robertrt

Steve

Thanks for looking. I have E-mailed them to ask for instructions in English. ( I doubt that ) I know it looks simple to you experts out there but I am realitively new at this hobby so I need to be "guided" as it were. I wish the 7687 was operational or at least I could count on someone repairing it. Ah the joys of the hobby! I still think it is all worth it though.

Robert J P
Offline Maxi  
#16 Posted : 27 August 2005 08:09:38(UTC)
Maxi

I just had to opportunity to build the special decoder for the turntable based on the information from the Digital-Bahn.de website. Once I figured out how to program the processor everything worked like a charm and I am impressed with how the unit works.

I think it is a really good replacement to the Marklin version. I would recommend purchasing the completed unit and be very careful when programming the processor if you want to update the firmware. If not done right the unit will stop working until it is programmed properly. Make a backup of the existing firmware before updating, this can not be stressed enough.

The performance seems smoother and the motor does not sound like it is labouring as opposed to the Marklin version of the decoder. The addition of lighting is a nice touch.
Offline robertrt  
#17 Posted : 05 December 2005 07:45:16(UTC)
robertrt

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Maxi
<br />I just had to opportunity to build the special decoder for the turntable based on the information from the Digital-Bahn.de website. Once I figured out how to program the processor everything worked like a charm and I am impressed with how the unit works.

I think it is a really good replacement to the Marklin version. I would recommend purchasing the completed unit and be very careful when programming the processor if you want to update the firmware. If not done right the unit will stop working until it is programmed properly. Make a backup of the existing firmware before updating, this can not be stressed enough.

The performance seems smoother and the motor does not sound like it is labouring as opposed to the Marklin version of the decoder. The addition of lighting is a nice touch.

Hi Maxi

I have just finished (unsucessfully) with the second Marklin digital decoder. I am ready to move on. I tried the link: http://www.bmbtechnik.de/preisliste.html for a replacement but the link times out. Do you know of any other source for a replacement? I would be willing to purchase one from someone who could make one as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated.[:(][:(][:(]
Robert J P
Offline HueyCE  
#18 Posted : 05 December 2005 16:06:31(UTC)
HueyCE

My wife just bought me the 7286 with a decoder, good to know there is an alternative decoder available if I have problems.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline Maxi  
#19 Posted : 06 December 2005 02:02:23(UTC)
Maxi

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by robertrt
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Maxi
<br />I just had to opportunity to build the special decoder for the turntable based on the information from the Digital-Bahn.de website. Once I figured out how to program the processor everything worked like a charm and I am impressed with how the unit works.

Hi Maxi

I have just finished (unsucessfully) with the second Marklin digital decoder. I am ready to move on. I tried the link: http://www.bmbtechnik.de/preisliste.html for a replacement but the link times out. Do you know of any other source for a replacement? I would be willing to purchase one from someone who could make one as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated.[:(][:(][:(]

The site does seem to be down. Also the Windigi-pet site seems to be down too. The person who has the bmbtechnik.de website is quite active in the Windigi-pet site so I am guessing that there must be a server problem and would expect the site to be up in a few days max.

I have not seen any other sites hosting the product.