Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jasondixon  
#1 Posted : 21 October 2013 17:01:28(UTC)
jasondixon

United Kingdom   
Hi all,

Has anyone used the Main Station app on iPad? I'm just about to upgrade my set to digital, and have treated myself to an eBay Central Station 2 (60215). Keen to know what 'extras', if any, I might get with the app. And a stupid question I guess, but does it act as a remote control for the CS2, or can you use it to control additional loco's?

Offline eroncelli  
#2 Posted : 21 October 2013 19:19:21(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
You can only use it as a remote control: it means that you can only control locos, switches etc that are set in your CS2
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2013 19:56:56(UTC)
Webmaster

The Main station app (as opposed to the Mobile station app) can do a lot more than just control loks & turnouts....

A remote control, yes - but you can graphically define your layout, set stuff in the CS2 as eg routes and more with it...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline witzlerh  
#4 Posted : 21 October 2013 21:14:19(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Oh man, what can the Main Station app do! WOW!
I use it a lot. You connect a Wi-Fi router to the CS2 (ensure that you have the recent updates), turn on your app after making sure that the iPad is connected to your Wi-Fi, wait a minute to connect, and then let the fun begin.

You have 4 screens, 2 of which are customizable and saved.
Remember, the Main Station App will reproduce what you have on your CS2. Nothing more, except quicker screen access.

Each screen will have 4 modules and when you hit the (i) on each module, you have a choice of 2 vertical lok controller, 1 speedometer lok controller, keyboard for switches, etc., memory screen, layout, and general information.

You select the lok by touching the lok icon and scrolling to a new lok. All the function symbols will come up. So if you have all your modules seclected to 2 vertical lok controllers, you can control 8 loks with one screen!

The keyboard and memory is just like the CS2, but easier to scroll through and will only show pages that have been set-up.
e.g., I have switch address of 11,12 & 13 for Marklin switches and 200 and 201 for Viessmann 4554 slo-mo swiches. The keyboard display on Main Station only shows tab 1, 2 and 13; easier to go to the needed tabs with Main Station as compared to CS2.

I do not have any Memeory set up yet.

The layout works great!. You can pinch to zoom in and out to get to those switches. I rairly use the keyboard after I set up my layout. You can pull up whatever layout you have in the CS2 or scroll through the large layout.

There is a devices module that displayes the current, voltage and temp of the CS2 and MS too.

And finally there is a clock to help keep track of time while you are having fun!

Some things to keep in mind. The app will change to portait mode and give you 2 larger modules as opposed to the 4.
If you have a timed lock-out, you will have to wait to re-establish contact again. If this is annoying, you can disable the inactive lock-down timer of the iPad.

I had a lot of fun using this at the train show as it allows me to mingle with the crowd while running the trains. No one in NA has this feature and there is good jelousy generated.
However, this has been rare, but due to the fact that I had my iPad lock down and requireing password to unlock, I had to delete the CS2 memory in the iPad and re-establish a connection on occation. It may require a restart of the CS2 to restart the communication. This is not a fault of the app in my mind.

If you have a larger layout and an iPad, get the app for the small amount that it costs, the freedom is worth every penny. I also use this in conjuction with my iPod and Mobile Station app, althought the new Touch Cab has more versatility and more robust.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline Janne75  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2013 21:30:35(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

I use both MainStation app for iPad and MobileStation app for iPhone. They are great to control your locos as you don't have to stay near your CS all the time ThumpUp . If you want to run more locos than two at a time it is easy with the MainStation app as you can have eight locos at the same time in the "Control view". Also locos are much easier to find from loco list if there are many of them. I have around 100 locos in the loco list and loco icons are much better looking in this app than in my CS 60214.

You can configure the "Control view" to have for example six locos controls and control your layout's 16 switches in one of the "control windows". By control window I mean one fourth of the screen of iPad. You can basically adjust it like you want. Have a Märklin clock in it, loco control or split it into two loco controls (this way you can get 4x2 loco controls in it if all four "control windows" are used splitted into two = total of 8 loco controls).

Very nice looking app in all ways! RollEyes

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline jasondixon  
#6 Posted : 22 October 2013 18:08:04(UTC)
jasondixon

United Kingdom   
Wow. Some great info there from you all. Thanks so much! On the back of it, I've just downloaded it. Sounds like a bargain for 8 quid.