Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ranjit  
#1 Posted : 16 June 2005 18:40:23(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi All,

Does ne1 know of effective solutions for the storage of Marklin (locos, cars, tracks and other accessories) in the tropics where the average temperature is around 34° C, and the humidity is around 95 %?

Cheers and warm regards from Kuala Lumpur,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline perz  
#2 Posted : 16 June 2005 23:08:59(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
The only effective solution I can think of is to use a condensing air dryer. These are rather expensive and they draw electric power, but they are very efficient.

Offline rschaffr  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2005 23:16:23(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I think the best solution would be to put them in airtight containers with one or more bags of a dessicant in them. The dessicant would remove the moisture from the air trapped in the container when you closed it, and the air would remain dry until you opened the container again. If there was some way to remove some of the air when sealing, that wuold be a bonus.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Munich 1860  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2005 00:09:16(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
Please everyone,

this is an interesting and important topic for me. My sister lives in Miami and wants to get into modeltrains for her boys. So any advice is welcome. How is the wood protected and all the other stuff on the layout, provided there is no air condition in the attic?? Is buying an air dryer the only solution ??

Regards,

Johann
I like M-track and my things that run on it were built between 1959 and 1972.
Offline jselter  
#5 Posted : 17 June 2005 01:45:14(UTC)
jselter

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Munich 1860
<br />Please everyone,

this is an interesting and important topic for me. My sister lives in Miami and wants to get into modeltrains for her boys. So any advice is welcome. How is the wood protected and all the other stuff on the layout, provided there is no air condition in the attic?? Is buying an air dryer the only solution ??

Regards,

Johann

Johann, I've lived in Florida all of my life. Tell your sister not to store the trains in the attic, especially plastic models or those with plastic parts. The temperature can climb above 100F. You can imagine the effect on plastic. I'd consider finding a spot in a closet inside the house where I'm sure she has air conditioning.

Joe
Offline frankv  
#6 Posted : 17 June 2005 04:15:08(UTC)
frankv

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Munich 1860
<br />Please everyone,

Regards,

Johann

Johann,

If you are referring to storage, I agree with Joe. I live just outside of Miami, and in the summer, if the heat doesn't get the trains, the Humidity will.

As a note of caution, I know that a lot of people who live in the North actually have their layout in the attic. I hope your sister is not thinking about doing that in Miami. I have a second floor apartment, and when I leave for work in the morning I turn the air conditioner up to about 90 degrees F. When I get home from work more often than not, the air conditioner is actually running.

I can't imagine how hot an attic would get down here.

Regards,
Offline Maxi  
#7 Posted : 17 June 2005 04:35:09(UTC)
Maxi

Even up Northern Canada an attic can get very warm. I choose to have my layout in the basement and use a dehumidifire to regulate the humidity. I also made sure that the wals were insulated, the floor sealed and the room closed off the to rest of the house in order to better regulate the humidity. So far no bad experiences.

Maxi
Offline Ranjit  
#8 Posted : 17 June 2005 07:23:43(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Per, Ron, Joe, Frankv, Matthew and Johann,

Thank you all for your useful suggestions to control heat and humidity.

Per --&gt; what do you mean by a condensing hair dryer? Is this a special gadget? Please clarify.

Ron --&gt; I like your suggestion, and I guess it would work really well for a small sized collection. In my case, I would need to store my stuff in a rather big box with lots of dessicants!

If it is warm and humid even in North Canada, can you imagine the situation at the tropics?

Btw, Matthew, can you share with us the system that you are using to control the heat and humidity?

Does ne1 have any suggestions/recommendations for good high quality dehumidifiers and climate control systems?

Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Offline perz  
#9 Posted : 17 June 2005 10:27:02(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Not hair dryer, but air dryer.

It is a device that takes in air, cools it so that the moisture condenses, and then heats the air up to the original temperature. The water is collected in a tank or led down to a sink through a tube.

In the house where I live we have a big such device to dry our laundry.
Offline Noel Loganathan  
#10 Posted : 17 June 2005 11:09:37(UTC)
Noel Loganathan

In Far North Queensland, where humidity can be quite unberable, John, a mate, is contemplating air-conditioning his hobby room. He is of the view that the air-conditioning would assist in reducing humidity and prolong track life.

Although it is anticipated that this can be a 'trifle' expensive in Malaysia as the tropics are known for their 'static' climate - or are these meant to be hot and dry or hot and wet!

Winter is upon us now.
Noel
Offline Ranjit  
#11 Posted : 17 June 2005 11:33:16(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Per,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. A air dryer is a dehumidifier, right? What brand of air dryer would you recommend for long term storage, and what specs should I be looking for? Also, is air-conditioning alone sufficient to control the humidity?

Noel --&gt; In Malaysia, the average climate is very hot and wet. We are just 3° above the equator!

Cheers and warm regards,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline xxup  
#12 Posted : 17 June 2005 14:40:20(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Ranjit - sounds like the perfect excuse to pack the lot into a container and take all of it with you to Germany...Believe me Ranjit - Noel is familar with the Malaysian climate..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline john black  
#13 Posted : 17 June 2005 15:40:43(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />bags of a dessicant

Ranjit: Ron's solution Smile is definitely the least expensive one - noiseless, too ...
That stuff is called SILICA GEL - small, granulated balls in little paper bags. You put one or two of 'em in the loco's box - they'll store any humidity inside them. Every 2 or 3 months you should dry (regenerate) the bags in the oven. We use SILICA GEL very successfully [^][^][^] for each kind of equipment in humid regions.

Best Regards,
John
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Ranjit  
#14 Posted : 17 June 2005 16:10:33(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Adrian and John,

Thank you for your inputs.

Yes, I always had silica gel in the storage boxes. What I have not been doing is to regenerate them frequently. I guess I will start doing this from now. Should I just place them in a microwave oven for a few seconds to remove the moisture? Are there any indicators to tell me when I should regenerate them?

Adrian --&gt; I wish I could take them all. The apartment in Germany is tiny, but I am packing the essentials!

Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Maxi  
#15 Posted : 17 June 2005 16:24:15(UTC)
Maxi

Since the room I am using for my layout is 12 feet by 13 feet, I chose to have the room closed off to the rest of the house (this includes a drop ceiling, insulated walls and painting the concrete floor since my layout is in the basement and the door remains closed at all times even when I am in the room). This greatly controls the humidity level in the room. I also have a dehumidifire in the room to help maintain the moisture level in the room to about 50%

A dehumidifire just recirculates the air in the room and passes the air across a set of coils which are much cooler than the air. The moisture in the air condensates and falls as water droplets into a bucket. If you want the humidity level to be less than 50% then an air conditioner must be used instead of the dehumidifire. An air conditioner will cool the air therefore reducing the humidity and temperature of the room.

I just use a dehumidifire and only have to empty the container once or twice a month during the summer months. In the fall, winter and spring the dehumidifire does not run at all. The dehumidifire I am using is just a simple floor model which is about the size of a small 2 drawer filing cabinet and costs about $150 Canadian.

If all you are interested in is just storing your railroad equipment and it is not setup then definetly storing the items in plastic containers with gel packs are the best solution.

Maxi
Offline Ranjit  
#16 Posted : 17 June 2005 17:54:17(UTC)
Ranjit

Thank you, Matthew for describing the conditions of your hobby room. Is it possible to get these silica gel packs in various sizes?

Cheers and warm regards,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline steventrain  
#17 Posted : 17 June 2005 20:30:44(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Make sure sundirect away from any marklin layout room.wink
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline rugauger  
#18 Posted : 17 June 2005 21:47:46(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Slightly off-topic, but I remember a hot and dry summer one year in Germany where we had a temporary layout on the balcony for a couple of days. The old M-track got rather hot in the direct sun [:0], but there were no operating problems. And it was great fun having a layout out in the open air Smile .
Richard
Offline Guus  
#19 Posted : 17 June 2005 22:54:31(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi all,

Please excuse me for being slightly off topic,but this might be interesting to know.

In the past SBB decided to introduce the famous croc Be 6/8 on the Simplon line.This was only a shortlived experiment.The locs didn't behave well in the humid conditions of the Simplon tunnel [:0].

Ranjit,I hope you don't mind me asking ,but has your question to do with your forthcoming stay in Germany?
Are you planning to take some railroad stuff with you,or to leave all behind at home?

Best regards
Guus

Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Bruce Skolnik  
#20 Posted : 18 June 2005 03:12:44(UTC)
Bruce Skolnik

Hello to all:

I would wonder about Train-Safe (http://www.train-safe.com/)for this issue. I use the "tubes" for displaying and storing my stock. It is kinda' costly but yields a great visual effect and is a practical solution.

"End caps" close each tube so that there is no constant circulation around the stock inside. Maybe add small packets of desicant to help with the humidity? I'm just speculating!
Offline Ranjit  
#21 Posted : 18 June 2005 09:07:14(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Steventrain, Richard, Guus and Bruce,

Thank you for your inputs.

My stuff is stored in my bedroom and the room is cool most of the time. We have to deal with high heat and high humidity 365 days in the year. Rust corrosion is a big problem.

Guus --&gt; Yes, I am taking a small portion of my collection with me to Germany. The rest stays. I am taking some of my very old locos (over 40 years old!) to be serviced and the rest is for fun! I am sure I am going add on as I move forward.

Cheers and warm regards fro Kuala Lumpur,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline steventrain  
#22 Posted : 18 June 2005 11:50:21(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bruce Skolnik
<br />Hello to all:

I would wonder about Train-Safe (http://www.train-safe.com/)for this issue. I use the "tubes" for displaying and storing my stock. It is kinda' costly but yields a great visual effect and is a practical solution.

Yes i see it in Continental Modeller magazine as well.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Ranjit  
#23 Posted : 18 June 2005 12:26:12(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Bruce,

I guess you will need these containers if you have thrown away the original boxes. I suppose they are also good for to shield the locos against high temperatures and humidity.

Cheers and have a nice weekend,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated