Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#1 Posted : 02 June 2005 00:43:29(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

I've got my first mfx loco, the Bayerische B VI 37974, and have a few notes to share. I don't think it has been collected before on this site; sorry if I'm wrong.

This loco is mfx with sound. It has 11 functions in all. However, the essential ones IMHO are light, sound, and whistle, and possibly "shunt speed". These are all reachable with 6021, Intellibox or Daisy! Other sounds are not lost, they are produces spontaneosly and randomly. "Brake sound" means putting screaming brakes off; so loosing this disability is not really a loss either.

I have a Mobile Station which normally serves as a throttle to the Intellibox via the Uhlenbrock adapter. Setting the locos acceleration, max speed and sound volume is done easiest by using the Märklin connection track (Ugly Box) temporarily, really as a kind of programming track. Putting the loco there, it is recognized as a mfx loco, and these parameters could be set easily on the menu. A silly thing is that the Motorola address (70 by default) cannot be set in this way. So if the intention is to run the loco on Delta, it's not enough to borrow you friends Mobile Station to change this. But if you have a 6021, and possibly 6020/Intellibox there is this clumsy procedure with a series of key presses and reversings to achieve this; I haven't tested yet.

The settings of acceleration, max speed and sound volume is common for both mfx and Motorola operation. And now, what happens if the loco has been registred as mfx, if the "feedback" is disrupted, either by using the adapter as I do, or a "booster" like the Delta Control? In the first case, the entry on Mobile Station looks fine, it blinks to indicate that the contact is lost, and unfortunately gets useless. The mfx signal transmitted is not reqognized by the adpater, and not retransmitted. In the latter case however, there are reports that everyting works OK; however, the speed bar blinks to show that the Mobile Station doesn't hear from the loco any moore.

So. With the adapter you must either set a Motorola address and use the left buttons to control f1-f4 without getting any symbol, or look up a loco with a similair function mapping in the Datenbank, and then change the name etc.

/Lars
Offline perz  
#2 Posted : 02 June 2005 01:31:09(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:In the latter case however, there are reports that everyting works OK; however, the speed bar blinks to show that the Mobile Station doesn't hear from the loco any moore.

A question here: did you

a) Register the loco in the mobile station, then turn it off, reconnect it to the booster and turn it on again

or did you:

b) Keep the mobile station on while transfering the loco from the
program track to the boostered track ?

Offline efel  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2005 16:07:52(UTC)
efel

France   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Lars Westerlind
<br />
Other sounds are not lost, they are produces spontaneosly and randomly.

Hi Lars,
Do you mean that, using your mfx loc with 6021, any sound can be produced at anytime, whatever the running state, independantly of the user willing ??? That would mean that this loc is not compatible with 6021 !!

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:
A silly thing is that the Motorola address (70 by default) cannot be set in this way

In the MS notice (coming with a start set), it's clearly written that the mfx decoder loc adress can be modified with the MS. May be a problem with your decoder that should be fixed -free- by Marklin ???
NB: It seems that programming the decoder with the MS is rather critical, as it is said that no other power consumer (coach lights, smoke generator..) is allowed during this operation.

Anyway, thanks for all these informations.

Fred
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#4 Posted : 02 June 2005 18:10:25(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by perz
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:In the latter case however, there are reports that everyting works OK; however, the speed bar blinks to show that the Mobile Station doesn't hear from the loco any moore.

A question here: did you

a) Register the loco in the mobile station, then turn it off, reconnect it to the booster and turn it on again

or did you:

b) Keep the mobile station on while transfering the loco from the
program track to the boostered track ?

Sorry, I was unclear. I have not tested the delta/booster case myself, I was reporting what I've read. I myself was transfering the loco to main track AND Mobstat to adapter; so the power was certainly disrupted.

I guess you ask because you like to know (as I do) if the feedback is continously on when running, or just takes place at startup.

I will maka a test just to lift the loco of the "PT".

/Lars

Offline Lars Westerlind  
#5 Posted : 02 June 2005 18:18:58(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by efel
<br />
Quote:
<br />
Other sounds are not lost, they are produces spontaneosly and randomly.

Hi Lars,
Do you mean that, using your mfx loc with 6021, any sound can be produced at anytime, whatever the running state, independantly of the user willing ??? That would mean that this loc is not compatible with 6021 !!

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:
A silly thing is that the Motorola address (70 by default) cannot be set in this way

In the MS notice (coming with a start set), it's clearly written that the mfx decoder loc adress can be modified with the MS. May be a problem with your decoder that should be fixed -free- by Marklin ???
NB: It seems that programming the decoder with the MS is rather critical, as it is said that no other power consumer (coach lights, smoke generator..) is allowed during this operation.

Anyway, thanks for all these informations.

Fred

Hello,
no, not in any state of course. ESU are clever folks; the random sounds don't occur unsuitable. When "general sound" is off, there is no such sounds. Coal showel may occur "under steam", meaning both still standing and when running. Brake sounds occur always when braking. I don't understand in what sence this should be incompatible with 6021???

The programming of address you speak about I guess refer to non mfx decoder. Of course it's useless to have this choice as long as the mfx loco is used on the Mobile Station itself. It becomes useful for a shop selling a mfx loco to a buyer who has Delta control only, and things like that. And for me, as I wan't to use another address on my Intellibox; which of course is not a good argument in M's ears.

Regards,
Lars
Offline digilox1  
#6 Posted : 02 June 2005 18:29:09(UTC)
digilox1

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I guess you ask because you like to know (as I do) if the feedback is continously on when running, or just takes place at startup.

Perz, Lars,
Decoder feed back works continously.
Every time an mfx loco is removed from the track after the registering procedure, the speed bar/display starts blinking, until you replace the loco onto the track.

Regards,
Manfred

Offline Guus  
#7 Posted : 02 June 2005 18:42:29(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi all,

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:originally posted by Manfred:
Every time an mfx loco is removed from the track after the registering procedure, the speed bar/display starts blinking, until you replace the loco onto the track.

Same happens when the slider makes bad contact.Happened to my mfx converted BR 44.

Best regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline efel  
#8 Posted : 03 June 2005 01:03:15(UTC)
efel

France   
Quote:
The programming of address you speak about I guess refer to non mfx decoder.

Hi,

I was really speaking about mfx decoders, and, if we believe the Marklin "handbuch" coming with the start set, it's possible to program the mfx decoder with a MS (p.98).

I have not yet got a mfx loc, but I also would like, when I get it, to program the decoder adress with my MS.

Does anybody succeed in doing so, or is the Lars case (=Bayerische B VI 37974 not programmable with MS) the rule??
Offline Davy  
#9 Posted : 03 June 2005 05:26:28(UTC)
Davy

If you have a mfx loc you can not program the adress of the mfx loc with a mobile station. mfx has no adresses anymore. Only when you use motorola you must use a adress.
M-track with a CS2.
Offline Guus  
#10 Posted : 03 June 2005 11:11:15(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi all,

I think I've spotted a contradiction in the information Märklin gives us.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:originally posted by Fred:
I was really speaking about mfx decoders, and, if we believe the Marklin "handbuch" coming with the start set, it's possible to program the mfx decoder with a MS (p.98).

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:originally posted by Davy:
If you have a mfx loc you can not program the adress of the mfx loc with a mobile station. mfx has no adresses anymore. Only when you use motorola you must use a adress

I have both the "Handbuch" from my starter and the downloadable manual of the 60652.

On page 11 of the 60652 manual it's clearly stated :

No change of adress is required for locomotives with an mfx decoder.
As such,this setting option is not available for these products.

This is in contradiction with their own Handbuch on page 98 [:0]

I'll give it a try today and I'll keep you posted.

Best regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Guus  
#11 Posted : 03 June 2005 12:58:22(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi all,

I've tried to change the adress on 2 of my mfx equipped locs with my Mobile Control to no avail.The change adress option simply doesn't show on my MS with this type of decoder.

However the change adress option does show up on the screen of the MS with an other loc having an externally programmable decoder (the regular type not being a mfx).

So I think the instructions in the Handbuch accompanied with the starterset are a bit misleading.

The default adress of the mfx decoder is changeable however with the CU 6021.

Best regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline digilox1  
#12 Posted : 03 June 2005 13:42:39(UTC)
digilox1

"Bogobit", an often referenced URL had a page dealing with the programming of mfx decoders using a Delta unit as a "filter".

Preventing the MS from seeing the feed back signals originating from the decoder, it can be used to program mfx decoders just like the ESU
LokPilots and their Märklin derivatives.

The delta has to be wired as a booster unit.

The document in question seems to be inaccessible at this time.

Anybody stored it on their hard disk?

Regards,
Manfred
Offline Guus  
#13 Posted : 03 June 2005 16:31:58(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Manfred,

Are you sure it's on the site you mentioned,since it was last updated in 2003?

Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline digilox1  
#14 Posted : 03 June 2005 16:53:06(UTC)
digilox1

Guus,
bogobit also has opened a site on märklin systems.
I`m quite sure the document I talked about in my previous posting
was linked/posted in that newer place.

However, the document speaking about a delta as a filter seems to be skipped for some reason.

http://home.arcor.de/bogobit/systems/mosta/

Regards,
Manfred

Offline Guus  
#15 Posted : 03 June 2005 17:01:01(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Manfred thank you,didn't know about that one.

Best regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#16 Posted : 03 June 2005 19:39:37(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Well,
the key word is compatibility. The statement
"No change of adress is required for locomotives with an mfx decoder.
As such,this setting option is not available for these products." clearly shows what we already know, Märklin is not interested in this matter. Of course it's NEEDED to change the Motorola adress of an mfx decoder, with a Mobile Station, if one is going to run the loco on a friends layout with a Delta control. Märklin is speaking to children as they normally do.

I find the behaviour most logical in this sensen, and probably I won't find any contradiction either (I don't have the p 98 handy right now), but still, very much dislike Ms attitude in this matter.

Lars
Offline Guus  
#17 Posted : 03 June 2005 19:56:27(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Lars,

Very well said if I may say so and I agree with you.

This is their text on page 98:

In models with mfx decoder or externally set decoders,the menu for setting the adress is extended by the option of also changing the adress in the locomotive.

Best regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline efel  
#18 Posted : 03 June 2005 20:21:50(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi All,

Thanks, Guss, for your valuable contribution to this topic: the inconsistency between some posts here is due to a "mistake" in the Marklin Starter set Handbuch, as you pointed out !!

It would then be interesting if the adress programming of mfx decoder were possible with a booster interface between the MS and the track, as Manfred wrote!
BTW, if a "delta" booster is used, what should be its INPUT, is it merely connected to the special rail
with the Uggly Box :

MS--Uggly-Rail--Delta Booster---&gt;to boosted track

?

Fred
Offline digilox1  
#19 Posted : 03 June 2005 20:55:44(UTC)
digilox1

I might have been wrong about the author of the article about the MS and the delta booster.

http://hgh-esn.ath.cx/ (Link doesn`t seem to work any more?)

http://80.144.47.38/ (Seems, this one`s only accessible to msn users.)

The guy`s name is Hans-Günter Heiserholt. His homepage has an abundance of great information and has been freely accessible until the recent past.

Regards,
Manfred
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#20 Posted : 03 June 2005 23:37:13(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Yes,
thats the idea. The delta is kind enough to amplify any digital signal, mfx, Motorola or DCC for example. The signal might even be produced by a computer directly. A clever alternative IMHO is to have one or two Mobile Stations connected to a Ugly Box, which serves as programming track as well, and several Deleta COntrols supplying different power districts of the track, taking their source from this track.

/Lars

Offline efel  
#21 Posted : 04 June 2005 01:17:20(UTC)
efel

France   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by digilox1
<br />http://hgh-esn.ath.cx/

This link works well! Many thanks Manfred.

Looking at the electric diagram given on this site, it seems that the delta booster is connected as I thought above (That may be obvious to some of you, but for I don't have any delta booster, I was not sure!). Due to the ebay low price of delta booster, it can be a good solution for me (up to now, I used my own DIY booster for the MS).

Unfortunately, I don't speak German, and I could not understand what is said, on the above site, about programming adress of mfx decoder, the loco being on the boosted part (= after delta booster) of the track! Automatic translation (ets.freetranslation.com) is rather confuse in this case!

Fred
Offline rschaffr  
#22 Posted : 04 June 2005 01:28:21(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
hmmm. I have a half dozen 6604's I was planning on putting up on eBay. Maybe I'll hang on to them for a while.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline prc  
#23 Posted : 04 June 2005 04:02:56(UTC)
prc

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by efel
<br />Hi All,

It would then be interesting if the adress programming of mfx decoder were possible with a booster interface between the MS and the track, as Manfred wrote!

Fred

You can readdress the MFX decoders with the LokProgrammer to resolve any address conflicts when not using a MS.
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline john black  
#24 Posted : 04 June 2005 04:42:36(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />compatibility ... of course it's NEEDED to change the Motorola adress of an mfx decoder if one is going to run the loco on a friends layout with a Delta control

Lars, I can understand you. But do you really assume M is going back THAT FAR - high tech MFX to be compatible with a Stone Age Delta Controller ... ???

John

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Lars Westerlind  
#25 Posted : 04 June 2005 10:49:57(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Well,
the function to set the Motorola address is there, in the Mobile Station, and in the decoder. So they have deliberately removed a function, and say it's not needed. Which it is for some people. Thats just silly IMHO. Besides, I don't regard mfx high tech at all. It's mre or less the same old technology which is in Delta! Refined yes, the decoders are certainly on a higher technology level than before (as they now are equally good as we have had in DCC for some time). And the Mobile Station IMHO is more user friendly. But easiness of use is not the same as high technology IMHO.

Lars
Offline digilox1  
#26 Posted : 04 June 2005 12:03:59(UTC)
digilox1

efel,

The portion of text that`s of special interest to you, is the following, I suppose:

Hinweise:

Auch das Programmieren der mfx-Loks geht, wenn die Lok auf den mit Boosterspannung versorgten Gleisen steht.
Die mfx-Loks lassen auch eine Programmierung, über die fünf Möglichkeiten, die über - Lok ändern - aufgerufen werden können, zu.
Dazu ruft man aus der Lokdatenbank die Nr. 29750 (Feuerwehr-Startset) auf, und ändert über - Lok ändern - die Motorolaadresse auf die neue Motorolaadresse der mfx-Lok.
Dann geht man wieder über - Lok ändern - rein und blättert bis REG (steht für Register).
Dort können alle Werte, wie gewünscht, verändert werden.

Notes:

Programming mfx locos also works with a loco standing on a track section that is powered by the booster.

Mfx-locos can be programmed beyond the 5 parameters offered by the MS.

Select item # 29750, -&gt; change address to the Motorola address desired.

The Feuerwehr-loco address opens up the registers necessary to access all of the registers that are available to Motorola users.

The full list of registers is available at the ESU site, see the manual of the Lokpilot-mfx.

Hope this helps,
regards,
Manfred

P.S.: In case you`re inclined to use the procedure proposed by Mr.
Heiserholt, don`t forget to remove all locos from the tracks that serve as a programming track.

Regards,
Manfred

Offline efel  
#27 Posted : 04 June 2005 20:21:46(UTC)
efel

France   
Thanks a lot, Manfred, for your kind translation.

That means that the address of a mfx decoder can be programmed with a Mobile Station + any booster that stops communication from decoder to MS. It was precisely my question.

I think that also solves the Lars' problem (1st post in this topic)?

Best regards,

Fred
Offline digilox1  
#28 Posted : 04 June 2005 20:33:51(UTC)
digilox1

efel,
Didn`t check the IB and adapter manuals.
The main difference is the IB remaining the command station when connected to he MS via the adapter; in the case discussed in this topic the MS will always serve as the command station.

Also, I don`t know, how non-Uhlenbrock Motorola decoders are programmed per the IB.

Regards,
Manfred

Offline Lars Westerlind  
#29 Posted : 05 June 2005 02:01:42(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

I guess that programming through the adapter won't work. However, I think that Uhlenbrock tells how the '6021 procedure' could be performed using the Intelliobx; but I've not tested and not read thoroughly.

And thanks digilox, for telling me about the 29750 trick. I'll certainly test that when I get time. I remember now that it has been known for a while, but unfortunately, I wasn't very interested when first published.

Regards,
Lars