Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BrandonVA  
#1 Posted : 04 October 2013 18:31:25(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Hi all,

I have never used wide radius turnouts before, but on my new layout I have installed one 22175 wide radius turnout. I have found in digital operation almost all of my digital locks stall when crossing this turnout (lights off, no power). Is this a common problem? Or do I have a defective turnout? Or just a lot of picky locos? I have tried shimming the track in various ways, but no luck. If a loco is going fast enough it will slide over the dead spot (fairly fast). It seems to be when they hit the two "fake" plastic pukos in the middle of the turnout.

Some locs that stall:

3604 BR80 steam Tank Engine
3686 PtL 2/2 Glaskasten
30050 BR23
30210 V200
36120 Thomas
36826 Kof
37140 BR89.70-75
39646 BR64

Locs that don't stall:

36080 V80

The only pattern I notice is that V80 uses a shorter slider (I think)....

I can rework the geometry to use a standard turnout here, but it will be a little ugly. I also may be able to help the contact with a piece of solid copper wire simulating an additional puko. I just wanted to see if anyone else had see this before.

Thanks,

-Brandon

Edited by user 09 October 2013 16:39:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Hoffmann  
#2 Posted : 04 October 2013 18:54:31(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hello Brandon,

As far as I can recall those Turnouts came with a jumper wire ( could be wrong I am just not sure old age ) to connect B-terminal to B-terminal on the Turnout side.

If you have not one of those jumpers just make one.

Regards Martin
marklin-eh
Offline kbvrod  
#3 Posted : 04 October 2013 19:06:42(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Brandon,I posted this time and time again,.....BigGrin

It is a contact problem with rails they ARE NOT connected(in the turnouts) to any ground.These small locs do not have any feed.

Eeessh!BigGrin

Dr D

p.s. It is also a ballast issue as these smaller loks are not heavy enough,....
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 04 October 2013 19:07:58(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
First thing that I would do is to take a car or coach with lighting (interior or taillight) and test the track to locate the exact spot where there may be a dead spot.
It could be a problem with the centre rail (slider has poor contact with the pukos) or it could be a problem with the return (rails).

I have seen a few switches that have had some problems related to the little moveable piece where the inner rail splits in two.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline biedmatt  
#5 Posted : 04 October 2013 21:50:30(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Sounds similar to passenger car lights flickering across turnouts. I traced those down to bad contact with the rails, not the third rail. Stalling is almost always bad ground connections, not bad third rail connections. With the passenger cars, the fix was to add a second ground connection on the other truck set. As Martin and Kbvrod suggest, you may be able to fix this on K track by making sure all rails are properly grounded. My passenger car issue was with M track that uses plastic rails for some parts so the slider will not close across the diverging rail and the third rail, causing a short. This I could not fix with a simple grounding jumper. For my small lokos that stalled on the turnouts, I installed the ESU 54670 powerpack. This provides .5 second of power to bridge these bad track ground connections. As you can't add more ground connections to the small lokos, it is the only solution. You must also have a V4 ESU decoder though too.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline BrandonVA  
#6 Posted : 04 October 2013 21:57:38(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Thanks guys. I'll do some tests and see what I come up with based on what's shared here. I'll inform the forum of what I find. I just assumed it had to be a center rail issue, sine bigger locos like 30050 and 30210 (BR23 and V200 retro respectively) should still have decent ground contact across the turnout. Engines get suck exactly in the middle of it, same exact spot every time. if I give them a slight nudge them move on. Always the same place. I will test the grounding (and positive if needed).

Perhaps a video is also in order when I find a solution :)

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 05 October 2013 02:55:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If you ever have a contact issue with older loks, one little trick that you can do as part of testing is to remove the slider and reinstall it 180 degrees reversed. Sometimes, the sliders can wear and this can cause occasional contact problems. Reversing the slider changes the pressure points and if the problem goes away, the solution may be to replace the slider. This can also be detected if the lok seems to have problems when moving in one direction only and if the lok is rotated, the problem is less evident or absent.

The newer loks with soldered wires or new clip designs may not be easily reversed, so this test may not work in those cases.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 05 October 2013 09:03:18(UTC)
Goofy

Not only rail perhaps derailment but also clip contact under the K tracks cause problem.
If locomotivs stucks in the large turnouts i guess it´s fairly stud contact.
C tracks with turnout has frog in metal while K track don´t.
I´m still angry at Marklin who still don´t take care to change K tracks with turnouts. Angry
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Mark5  
#9 Posted : 05 October 2013 19:06:17(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
So you are suggesting that the ESU powerpack in the case of creating a .5 second bridge will only work with the V4 ESU decoder?
- Mark

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Sounds similar to passenger car lights flickering across turnouts. ....... For my small lokos that stalled on the turnouts, I installed the ESU 54670 powerpack. This provides .5 second of power to bridge these bad track ground connections. As you can't add more ground connections to the small lokos, it is the only solution. You must also have a V4 ESU decoder though too.
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline biedmatt  
#10 Posted : 05 October 2013 19:28:02(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
So you are suggesting that the ESU powerpack in the case of creating a .5 second bridge will only work with the V4 ESU decoder?
- Mark

Sounds similar to passenger car lights flickering across turnouts. ....... For my small lokos that stalled on the turnouts, I installed the ESU 54670 powerpack. This provides .5 second of power to bridge these bad track ground connections. As you can't add more ground connections to the small lokos, it is the only solution. You must also have a V4 ESU decoder though too.

That is what I understand. I vagely remember reading a note somewhere stating it will not work with V3. It does work with V4 LokSound and LokPilot.

Edit: Just found this in the directions "All LokSound and LokPilot decoders of the 4th generation series can be connected to the Power-Pack, such as LokPilot, LokPilot micro, LokSound, LokSound micro or LokSound Select , LokSound Select Micro and LokSound Select Direct."
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline BrandonVA  
#11 Posted : 09 October 2013 16:37:54(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Hello all,

I've done some testing, and I have an update and solution. I tested with analog operation, and as expected the results were exactly the same. Smallish locos like 3312 (T5), 3141 (260), etc stalled. Larger locks like 3096 (BR86), 3084 (BR50) and 3075 (216) had no problem.

I tested with a voltmeter and found that some of the center studs were not working in the turnout. In this photo, the red oval are "fake" plastic" pukos, and the green oval is where the pukos had no power.

UserPostedImage
(larger: Click here)

You may have noticed the copper wire in the previous picture. I happened to have a positive/B (+) feeder right next to this turnout, which made testing faster. I put the copper wire in to augment the pukos that were not getting power. After this, every loco runs over this track perfectly at any speed. However, it doesn't look great.

UserPostedImage

Here's a loco (3312) running over the copper wire. It creates enough contact to skip the dead section (and lifts the pickup show far enough):

UserPostedImage

In the end, I removed the jumper, and lifted the turnout to check the underside. After lifting it/twisting it around and pressing the layers together, the turnout works without the copper wire (basically, works as it should). I am not sure if it was the lifting/twisting that seated it correctly, or if it was the pressure from the copper wire during driving tests...but it now works without the copper wire.

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline christos563  
#12 Posted : 09 October 2013 17:23:16(UTC)
christos563

Greece   
MMMMMMM ..... Why don't you use double-slip-switches ? 2275.

And please make an "edit" in your text.

christos563, thess/niki.
Offline Goofy  
#13 Posted : 09 October 2013 17:24:30(UTC)
Goofy

Many 3 rail marklinister wanted to use underground motor to simulate like realism.
Why don´t Marklin just change K turnouts in better shape?
Just take look at C turnouts.
Underground motor and nice details for turnouts lighting...etc!

Blink
H0
Offline BrandonVA  
#14 Posted : 09 October 2013 17:33:03(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: christos563 Go to Quoted Post
MMMMMMM ..... Why don't you use double-slip-switches ? 2275.

And please make an "edit" in your text.

christos563, thess/niki.

Hi,

I'm sorry, I don't understand? I didn't need to use a double slip here, the track plan just needed a single turnout.

What should I edit?

-Brandon
Offline Danlake  
#15 Posted : 09 October 2013 18:34:18(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Brandon,

Thanks for showing this.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline kbvrod  
#16 Posted : 09 October 2013 19:18:59(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Good one Brandon!

Still 'feed' the isolated rails with ground,....

Dr D
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline BrandonVA  
#17 Posted : 09 October 2013 19:23:09(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Good one Brandon!

Still 'feed' the isolated rails with ground,....

Dr D

Kevin,

Good idea, I'll make sure to do it.

-Brandon
Offline kbvrod  
#18 Posted : 09 October 2013 19:23:59(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Many 3 rail marklinister wanted to use underground motor to simulate like realism.
Underground motor and nice details for turnouts lighting...etc!Blink

Did YOU every think why turnout motors(Vorbild) are not undergroundConfused Confused Confused

Geez!

Offline BrandonVA  
#19 Posted : 09 October 2013 19:25:17(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Hi all,

I should have mentioned in my previous post, I tested by getting a loco stuck. I connected a ground lead and touched it to each of the outer rails, then touched the loco wheels directly. No movement. I then connected a solid copper lead to the + side, and carefully reached through and touched the pickup shoe, at which point the loco came alive. I wrapped some tape around the copper lead so I wouldn't hit the outer rail reaching through to touch the pickup shoe. This was done with a sturdy locomotive (3312 once again).

-Brandon
Offline Goofy  
#20 Posted : 09 October 2013 20:43:36(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Underground motor and nice details for turnouts lighting...etc!Blink

Did YOU every think why turnout motors(Vorbild) are not undergroundConfused Confused Confused

Geez!

I use Tortoise motor under the turnouts and it fits good for K turnouts too.
So in fact...Marklin should fix the problem about own turnouts.
I have never like K turnouts.
If i see Marklin start to change K turnouts for the motor fits under the frame that would be a plus for customer. ThumpUp
H0
Offline biedmatt  
#21 Posted : 09 October 2013 21:31:36(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Interesting. When you said it was your small lokos, I thought for sure it would be a bad ground. So loko length had no real cause, it was the length of the slider and wether it would bridge across the dead center rail.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline BrandonVA  
#22 Posted : 09 October 2013 21:37:35(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Interesting. When you said it was your small lokos, I thought for sure it would be a bad ground. So loko length had no real cause, it was the length of the slider and wether it would bridge across the dead center rail.

Matt,

You had me convinced, it made perfect sense. But yes, it appears to be short sliders. I could nudge the loco until it hit the next stud and it would go. Overall, 6 studs down (4 dead and two fake plastic studs), was just enough to get them stuck. It was also interesting to note that this would happen no matter which way the turnout was set, which I neglected to mention more recently.

The moral of the story for me is going to be to test the turnouts with alligator clips before installing them :)

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline mike c  
#23 Posted : 09 October 2013 23:44:46(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The issue here seems to be that the three pukos at the switch end of the track were not getting power for some reason. I am guessing that the track may have been bent, dropped or otherwise damaged and the thin metal plate which acts as conductor must no longer make proper contact with the piece that has the pukos on it. I have never seen this issue before on a switch track. The only problem that I had seen with these switches was an issue with the little movable piece where the inner (straight) and outer (curved) rails meet.
I am happy that you solved it. Hopefully you won't need the copper wiring anymore, because that looks like it will cause wear and tear on the sliders when used.

Regards

Mike C
Offline BrandonVA  
#24 Posted : 10 October 2013 15:52:11(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
The issue here seems to be that the three pukos at the switch end of the track were not getting power for some reason. I am guessing that the track may have been bent, dropped or otherwise damaged and the thin metal plate which acts as conductor must no longer make proper contact with the piece that has the pukos on it. I have never seen this issue before on a switch track. The only problem that I had seen with these switches was an issue with the little movable piece where the inner (straight) and outer (curved) rails meet.
I am happy that you solved it. Hopefully you won't need the copper wiring anymore, because that looks like it will cause wear and tear on the sliders when used.

Regards

Mike C

Mike,

You are correct. The copper wire is also no longer needed. after I pulled up the turn-up and twisted it a bit, it seems to have fixed the contact, now the pukos that were lacking power are working. Either that or the pressure from the copper wire onto the pukos caused something to seat properly. I am not sure if something wasn't seated right from the factory, it got banged up in shipping, or if I dropped it...at any rate, things are good now.

Thanks,

-Brandon
Offline sorensen_dk  
#25 Posted : 05 November 2013 02:21:27(UTC)
sorensen_dk

Denmark   
Brandon,

Murphy will just wait for you to ballast that switch! I would do a permanent fix or discard it - but that's just me ;-)

-Tom

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sorensen_dk