Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#1 Posted : 10 July 2013 09:20:53(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I had this for sometime and I am considering the option to repair it. Have a look at the photos. I'll ad some information soon.
Iamnotthecrazyone attached the following image(s):
P1040643.JPG
P1040644.JPG
P1040645.JPG
P1040646.JPG
P1040648.JPG
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
#2 Posted : 10 July 2013 09:41:19(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
In my opinion the engine is a marriage of a very early body and newer chassis. The center part of the chassis is cracked and at least that has to be replaced but I am not sure whether to do just that or do a more complete job.

The end body parts don't seem to hold properly to the chassis, one does but only because a hole and thread were tapped onto the body.

My thoughts are that I would like to have it as close to original as possible but since it is so old it might be hard and expensive to do it 100% right.

First of all, are you able to tell which version is the body and which version is the chassis?

Second, If I decide to replace the whole chassis to an earlier version that matches the body, would Ritter be the place to source the parts or would you do it any other way?

So far only twice I have seen a complete chassis from probably version 1 or 2 appear complete and in decent condition. I wouldn't mind having the button type pick ups and the small sandbox. I would like to listen to some opinions.

Thank you! Alex

PS: If not visible in the photos there are grooves for rubber tires which are not present.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 10 July 2013 09:46:12(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
If it was mine, I would be treating it as two separate restoration projects. Who knows, there maybe someone out there with a bottom and no top and vice versa.. Cool
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by xxup
#4 Posted : 10 July 2013 10:06:16(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
If it was mine, I would be treating it as two separate restoration projects. Who knows, there maybe someone out there with a bottom and no top and vice versa.. Cool

It's true but double the headache and my chassis would still need to be fixed. However it is a real possibility I will consider it provided I manage to build a complete early CCS first instead of repairing it as it is. Thanks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline Janne75  
#5 Posted : 10 July 2013 10:21:34(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Alex,

Thanks from pictures of this CCS 800. I will leave the version identification to some experts here who can tell you more. I know only that it has the older type pantographs (Type 4.1) and the versions from 1947 to 1949 had these if I remember right. Those pantographs are from an older version if they are not replica ones. But the lamp surrounding metal bars should be rectangular and not round in the very early versions from 1940's. Golden "CCS 800" should also identify it.

Nice CCS 800 anyway! Cool

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Janne75
#6 Posted : 10 July 2013 10:35:25(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Alex,

Thanks from pictures of this CCS 800. I will leave the version identification to some experts here who can tell you more. I know only that it has the older type pantographs (Type 4.1) and the versions from 1947 to 1949 had these if I remember right. Those pantographs are from an older version if they are not replica ones. But the lamp surrounding metal bars should be rectangular and not round in the very early versions from 1940's. Golden "CCS 800" should also identify it.

Nice CCS 800 anyway! Cool

Cheers,
Janne

The panthographs are original I have no doubt about them, the ccs writing is golden. The bars are probably not rectangular because the lower part is newer than what it should however we'll have to wait until someone who knows them very well to says what they think this one should have. The sticker that says 1947 -while part of the engine might be- I think it was intended to deceive or someone who didn't know better put it there.
P1040650.JPG
P1040649.JPG
P1040651.JPG
Offline jvuye  
#7 Posted : 11 July 2013 00:04:38(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hello Alex
I have repaired many such CCS 800s in my long years as a Märklin "surgeon"!RollEyes BigGrin

This one is yet another occurrence of Dr Frankenstein's intervention Crying Blink Scared Scared and he did not do a good job IMHO!ThumbDown Sneaky

As you and others noted correctly yours is a newer chassis with an older body rigged on to it.

So that is bad news and good news!

The bad news is that it will probably never be "close to original" as you wish...
You can find the replacement end chassis , but there is no such thing for the middle part: dead end!OhMyGod ThumbDown

The good news is that the part that is broken (the center chassis) for the newer versions is still available from Ritter.
So there is hope
Lastly I even adapted one to a true 1947 older Krok, for which I had to do some minor machining/adaptation to the end chassis.

(BTW, your nose pieces are also missing the contact plates for the bulbs)

So overall I think that it is actually a good situation because the newer version run **much** better that the old ones.

I just think that it will take some very careful thinking and accurate machining to properly attach the body nose pieces to their chassis.
The original version is totally different from the newer versions.
I don't even think there is material on the older bodies to drill/machine the two threaded holes that would fit in the newer chassis ...and vice-versa!!

If needed, I can look into my various exemplars on what the options are.

You may probably have to fabricate studs that would then have to be epoxy-ed in the body.
If you decide to go that way and that you have the proper milling/drilling machine I could provide you with a diagram with accurate measurements.
It will be quoted in mm though, if you need inches, you'll have get the calculator out!Laugh

FYI:
In any case, adapting the RITTER reproduction end chassis for the original version is not for the faint of heart!
Because of the metal shrinkage (as it cools down after injection) the holes for the wheels and gears are**never** at the right spot and even worse, they are not even perpendicular to the chassis axis of symmetry!
So the only way to do that job correctly is to fill the repro chassis holes back with bronze rods, then re-machine the chassis properly on a milling machine with two axis precision positioning.

Interesting surgery though...

Niuk, niuk, niuk!

Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#8 Posted : 11 July 2013 00:25:01(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
I concur exactly with what Jacques has to say about this CCS 800. I just recently finished the restoration of my CCS 800 V2 loco and found an original box for it so I am familiar with the characteristics of this version. The housings, as has been said, are for a Version 2, 1948 - 1949, CCS 800 locomotive but I might add that the center module which contains the motors and two gear shafts are also original to the Version 2. The unit has the correct green cable wiring tied together with strings with the single yellow wire on top that reaches over the electric motor.

What most likely happened is the Version 2 frames broke and the previous owner took the loco to a dealer who retrofitted it with the much more stable and reliable CCS 800 frames from the 1950s.

Option 1) Fix the single broken connector that fixes the "leg" of the crocodile would be relatively easy and cost about $50 for an original replacement part. Last time I looked RITTER has this original part. You can keep the 50s frames like they were but I don't know how well they fit with these older parts. Jacques would know more about that.

Option 2) Bring the loco back to an original '48-49 CCS 800 Version 2 would be the most difficult and expensive method but also possibly the most rewarding. You would need 2 frames. Originals cost about $300-$400 US each and they're almost always repaired. Only about 2-3 come up each year. Ritter makes them but they haven't produced them in a while and on their website they're "out of stock." TTN in Frankfurt also makes them out of Zinc but I think his operations are also on hold right now. Cost for replicas is about $150 - $250 each. Keep in mind, however, if you go to Version 2 you would also need new wheel sets with linkages, mushroom pickup shoes and possibly some more original parts. All these spare parts are very expensive!

Best regards,

Paul

PS. For some inspiration here is my CCS 800 V2 I just finished. It doesn't run because the frames are slightly warped and I'd rather not spend hours and hours sanding down the spots where the wheels and gears rub against the frame...it's very difficult and precise work!

ccs
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
#9 Posted : 11 July 2013 01:22:21(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Hello Alex
You can find the replacement end chassis , but there is no such thing for the middle part: dead end!OhMyGod ThumbDown

(BTW, your nose pieces are also missing the contact plates for the bulbs)

I just think that it will take some very careful thinking and accurate machining to properly attach the body nose pieces to their chassis.
The original version is totally different from the newer versions.
I don't even think there is material on the older bodies to drill/machine the two threaded holes that would fit in the newer chassis ...and vice-versa!!

If needed, I can look into my various exemplars on what the options are.

You may probably have to fabricate studs that would then have to be epoxy-ed in the body.
If you decide to go that way and that you have the proper milling/drilling machine I could provide you with a diagram with accurate measurements.
FYI:
In any case, adapting the RITTER reproduction end chassis for the original version is not for the faint of heart!
Because of the metal shrinkage (as it cools down after injection) the holes for the wheels and gears are**never** at the right spot and even worse, they are not even perpendicular to the chassis axis of symmetry!
So the only way to do that job correctly is to fill the repro chassis holes back with bronze rods, then re-machine the chassis properly on a milling machine with two axis precision positioning.

Interesting surgery though...

Niuk, niuk, niuk!

Cheers

Wow! A lot to take by my shrinking brain but that's what I was hopping forThumpUp ThumpUp

I'll answer both of you in different posts to make it easier.

Yes Dr Frankenstein did a couple of naughty things although I can't blame them because either for deception or was poorly fixed long ago in the 50's 60's. the Zinc pest always show it's ugly face on these crocs. I must say very happily that the body is free from it which is what made it buy it even though (it was a rush buy on an overseas trip) I did not realise the base was wrong but the price was right so no harm is done other than to my pride for not noticing what I was buying. I knew only about the broken part. I have a perfect box too which is the grey/blue type like in Paul's photo. It's been years since I want to do something with it and I would like to do it now or in the medium term

After you've mentioned the contact plates I noticed one of the noses has it.

I would reload one of the photos but there is plenty of material near the end of the nose to drill a hole. In fact they have done it in on end but not in the other??? That means there is the center screw right at the front and the an extra screw near the front on one side which matches one of the two big holes on the frame. For attachment purposes that seem to be quite sufficient to hold the body to the frame but I would prefer something at the back of the nose.

I am warming up to the idea of making two crocs out of it.

It's bad to hear about all the problems I would face with the Ritter end parts. I have a ordinary Ryoby foot drill. I am keen in buying a cheap milling machine and perhaps a lathe or combination. One of the great problems is that while I am very mechanically minded and can do a lot of repair jobs, the work you describe using a milling machine might be too risky to perform on an expensive croc part. What do you think?

The photo shows the extra non original screw
P1040651.JPG
P1040652.JPG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
#10 Posted : 11 July 2013 01:36:32(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
I concur exactly with what Jacques has to say about this CCS 800. I just recently finished the restoration of my CCS 800 V2 loco and found an original box for it so I am familiar with the characteristics of this version. The housings, as has been said, are for a Version 2, 1948 - 1949, CCS 800 locomotive but I might add that the center module which contains the motors and two gear shafts are also original to the Version 2. The unit has the correct green cable wiring tied together with strings with the single yellow wire on top that reaches over the electric motor.

What most likely happened is the Version 2 frames broke and the previous owner took the loco to a dealer who retrofitted it with the much more stable and reliable CCS 800 frames from the 1950s.

Option 1) Fix the single broken connector that fixes the "leg" of the crocodile would be relatively easy and cost about $50 for an original replacement part. Last time I looked RITTER has this original part. You can keep the 50s frames like they were but I don't know how well they fit with these older parts. Jacques would know more about that.

Option 2) Bring the loco back to an original '48-49 CCS 800 Version 2 would be the most difficult and expensive method but also possibly the most rewarding. You would need 2 frames. Originals cost about $300-$400 US each and they're almost always repaired. Only about 2-3 come up each year. Ritter makes them but they haven't produced them in a while and on their website they're "out of stock." TTN in Frankfurt also makes them out of Zinc but I think his operations are also on hold right now. Cost for replicas is about $150 - $250 each. Keep in mind, however, if you go to Version 2 you would also need new wheel sets with linkages, mushroom pickup shoes and possibly some more original parts. All these spare parts are very expensive!

Best regards,

Paul

PS. For some inspiration here is my CCS 800 V2 I just finished. It doesn't run because the frames are slightly warped and I'd rather not spend hours and hours sanding down the spots where the wheels and gears rub against the frame...it's very difficult and precise work!

ccs

Hi,

First I would like to double check I understand your post correctly. You are saying I have a version 2 body, 2x newer end frames but an original version 2 center frame and motor, right?

With option1 then I would be replacing the centre part with an early V2 type centre?

Option2 is the one that appeals the most to me since I would be really happy having -sort of- a version2 of the ccs. The mostly repaired parts, what kind of repairs are we talking about and would they be suffering from zinc pest? I had in mind it is not going to be cheap. The very few times I saw the parts on Ebay they were in Germany and Austria and the sellers would not post outside the EU.

Your's is a very nice ccs, I probably won't run mine but I am keen in having it in running condition. It probably won't happen but I always dream of having a vintage layout
Alex
#11 Posted : 11 July 2013 02:03:16(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Alex,

Yes you're correct the entire center unit is original V2 and same era as the housings. I'm not exactly sure how the newer 50s frame fit with these earlier 40s parts. I also don't know how the two center frame halves (the one which is partially broken on yours) differs between the 40s and 50s versions as I'm only familiar with the 40s versions. It's possible yours still has the original 40s frames but perhaps whoever did the retrofit also put newer 50s center frame halves as well.

I will say lately collectors have been really putting pressure on original parts for this version of the CCS. If the frames are broken or not original the value is less than half!

Best regards,

Paul

PS. A word of caution and Jacques might be able to validate this but I would think that machining any parts (original or replica) requires a lot of patience and skill. In the case you are machining a replica, the part could be made of a lead alloy which has very poor machining quality and will probably melt or just start to "mush." An original zinc part is also likely to crack from the pressure the mill puts on the part.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
#12 Posted : 11 July 2013 02:26:21(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Hi Alex,

Yes you're correct the entire center unit is original V2 and same era as the housings. I'm not exactly sure how the newer 50s frame fit with these earlier 40s parts. I also don't know how the two center frame halves (the one which is partially broken on yours) differs between the 40s and 50s versions as I'm only familiar with the 40s versions. It's possible yours still has the original 40s frames but perhaps whoever did the retrofit also put newer 50s center frame halves as well.

I will say lately collectors have been really putting pressure on original parts for this version of the CCS. If the frames are broken or not original the value is less than half!

Best regards,

Paul

PS. A word of caution and Jacques might be able to validate this but I would think that machining any parts (original or replica) requires a lot of patience and skill. In the case you are machining a replica, the part could be made of a lead alloy which has very poor machining quality and will probably melt or just start to "mush." An original zinc part is also likely to crack from the pressure the mill puts on the part.

So the centre part comes apart, I thought it was one piece only. I was looking at this one on ebay.de that it is broken in the same way. This one seems to be a later type and it is different because in mine there is nothing in the top area where the motor fits joining the two pieces while in this one there is a bridge?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/v...&hash=item417100ed2c

Yes one of the worries remains whether I'll be taking on more than I can chew on, the more I think about it I believe I can pull it off but we'll see. Regarding the version 2 on koll's 2006 there is a photo of one he describes as v4 one of the style with big sandboxes an I suppose is the olivegrun. do you think mine is the dunkelgrun to say is v2? I find the colours in the book too difficult to differentiate not having the real thing next to each other. Anyway v2 is what I want to haveWink
#13 Posted : 11 July 2013 02:33:45(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I forgot to say that the 50's end that is still attached to the centre seems to be working mechanically well without issues I can spot.
#14 Posted : 11 July 2013 02:58:58(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Yes the center frame structure comes apart. It is two identical frame halves. The eBay auction you've linked to is of a later type I suppose. Notice how the earlier 40s type also has a whole to oil the gear axle.

Yours is definitely a Version 2. I'm not sure how Koll's puts it, but I remember disagreeing with the Koll's versions of the CCS at one time. Version 1 is an olive/gray color with a rough texture and round linkage screws. The frames are typically burnished and not painted like the Version 2 frames. Version 2 is a darker green with flat angled sandboxes. Version 3,4 and have rectangular sandboxes with horizontal slats on them.

I think you'll be able to handle it either way that you choose. Let me know if you need any parts. I have plenty of Version 2 and Version 3 parts including one frame that's broken at the sandboxes but I'm going to repair it and support the repair with metal strips. I have all Version 3 parts but again both frames are broken

Paul
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
#15 Posted : 11 July 2013 04:05:23(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Yes the center frame structure comes apart. It is two identical frame halves. The eBay auction you've linked to is of a later type I suppose. Notice how the earlier 40s type also has a whole to oil the gear axle.

Yours is definitely a Version 2. I'm not sure how Koll's puts it, but I remember disagreeing with the Koll's versions of the CCS at one time. Version 1 is an olive/gray color with a rough texture and round linkage screws. The frames are typically burnished and not painted like the Version 2 frames. Version 2 is a darker green with flat angled sandboxes. Version 3,4 and have rectangular sandboxes with horizontal slats on them.

I think you'll be able to handle it either way that you choose. Let me know if you need any parts. I have plenty of Version 2 and Version 3 parts including one frame that's broken at the sandboxes but I'm going to repair it and support the repair with metal strips. I have all Version 3 parts but again both frames are broken

Paul

As a first thought I would like to avoid parts that were repaired, that might change according to how desperate I becomeLOL

I've been thinking I would like first originals but since it is also unlikely I will sell it I'll be happy with reproductions so I'll make a special occasion runner.

Do you have the half of the centre part I need without zinc pest?

Below I'll load some close ups. Dr Frankenstein started operating so I guess now its decided and I am going ahead with at least repairing what I have but I'll be on the look out for correct ends and I will contact ritter to get an answer on the dates they expect to make those pieces. This is probably going to be a very slow process.
P1040655.JPG
P1040656.JPG
#16 Posted : 11 July 2013 05:00:48(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
I think I have one of those that is unbroken and no zincpest. It was for my Version 3 but I think it'd take me too long to find all the parts so if I do have it, I'd be happy to offer it towards your project.

In my opinion repairs that are done well are far better than replica parts. Repaired parts are still at least original. Now if you expect them to function and operate like a replica, that's another story. I had an SK 800 running with a Ritter chassis and that thing flew down the tracks while all mine with original frames creep by pretty slowly BigGrin

Best regards,

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
#17 Posted : 11 July 2013 05:34:21(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Well thank you for your offer! If you are sure you don't want it send me a PM with your termsTongue but if you think you may want to use in future don't worry. Only now I am getting more serious about this repair and I haven searched sufficient for parts to rob you of one you had plans for. I was pondering as well the following options.

One a bit crazy and not original but it could work would be to cast my own part, I think I still have some silicone rubber for high temperatures and a bar of some alloy which was meant to be used for a test on casting wheels but it never happened, I've made plastic castings with a percentage of success RollEyes but never metal. If I am lucky and manage to cast a good part then I would need help on how to do the precision drilling because on that I have no idea.

The other was -but I need to find my 3015, unless you know- Ritter has a full new, original motor with these 2 centre frames for a late ccs or 3015 that cost $90 Euros. That could get this croc going and presentable until the time I can get a set of good condition V2 ends. The problem with that motor and frame is that I don't know whether the 2 screws on the cab match the holes on this newer frame. If that works it would also get me set on the idea of making a second croc for which I will need the body at a later stage.
#18 Posted : 11 July 2013 05:41:54(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Ok, I'll let you know if I have the part for you...I'll look for it tomorrow.

Wow casting your own part? Now you're getting serious! I've done this too and it's a lot of work but also quite fun and interesting. I sourced a high temperature RTV silicone that will work with a Zinc alloy that can be cast at around 700F. I also had to build a furnace to get the Zinc ingots that hot. The CCS 800 frame can be done pretty well with a two-part mold and then a lot of machining afterwards mainly for the axle holes. This requires extremely precise measurements and drilling! If you choose a metal with a lower metal point, everything becomes easier: you can melt the metal with a torch, almost all RTV silicone will withstand the heat, and the metal is pliable so the frame will move to fit all the gears and axles correctly.

If you're up for the challenge, I say you go the do-it-yourself route!

Best regards,

Paul
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
#19 Posted : 12 July 2013 01:43:18(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Ok, I'll let you know if I have the part for you...I'll look for it tomorrow.

Wow casting your own part? Now you're getting serious! I've done this too and it's a lot of work but also quite fun and interesting. I sourced a high temperature RTV silicone that will work with a Zinc alloy that can be cast at around 700F. I also had to build a furnace to get the Zinc ingots that hot. The CCS 800 frame can be done pretty well with a two-part mold and then a lot of machining afterwards mainly for the axle holes. This requires extremely precise measurements and drilling! If you choose a metal with a lower metal point, everything becomes easier: you can melt the metal with a torch, almost all RTV silicone will withstand the heat, and the metal is pliable so the frame will move to fit all the gears and axles correctly.

If you're up for the challenge, I say you go the do-it-yourself route!

Best regards,

Paul

Well plenty have been happening but please still look for that part because this may lead to nowhere. I will upload a few photos before the camera runs out of batteries. I'll explain in the next post. or edit this one.

Ok, here is the addition. I did not think I was up to this but your post pushed me to try my first metal melting operation. BigGrin To keep it sort of short: I made a mold which might have some shortcommings but is within what I can make without spending an awful amount of time and materials. The first four castings were fun but unusable. The fifth one has some problems but may be usable. The problems are what I am pointing out with the pen. The first photo the two tops that hold the pins joining the two centre parts are missing some metal but I think they will hold once I drill from the other end. In the second photo that threaded hole ended up too big because probably the silicon spanded, should I push a brass rod in a bigger hole then drill and tap again?

As I've mentioned before I have no idea on how to drill with precision, will I need the milling machine? Can I use my foot drill to avoid spending extra?

I am happy with the metal I've used (don't remember what it is but it seems strong. I have another piece cooling down in case I had more luck but I doubt it after 1 good of 5.
P1040658.JPG
P1040660.JPG
P1040661.JPG
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
#20 Posted : 12 July 2013 02:20:53(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Looks like really great work...

I'm impressed with your mold-making skills...! Yes looks like the end cavities of your mold weren't filled all the way. If you're really ambitious you can fix this by drilling air holes into the silicone at those areas and this air hole will act like a vacuum and pull the hot metal through these thin cavities. But there is no guarantee that will work exactly, gravity casting is very tricky as you know!

Precision drilling is hard. I cast some parts today and could not reliably drill the holes. The best method is to have as short a drill bit as possible so it does not "walk" on your piece when the bit bends. It's also better to go with a smaller bit first to create a "pilot hole" and then go in with your larger bit. Other methods that help is to use a "machinist's punch" to create your guide hole (just a small dot) and that will direct your bit and keep it from walking on the piece. When I design silicone molds I'm now trying to partially incorporate the holes into the mold and then just finish the holes off with a drill press to make them smooth and then tap them. I'm sure you already know most of those methods... BigGrin

What temperature did the metal melt at?

Today I cast a part using a Zinc alloy close to what Marklin used back in the day at it was at around 950F.

Paul

PS. I do have the part you need, but of course I'd much rather see you make it yourself, I was absolutely stunned to see you've made this much progress in one day! I've been researching metal casting for over a year and finally today got my first halfway decent part.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
#21 Posted : 12 July 2013 02:53:47(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Looks like really great work...

I'm impressed with your mold-making skills...! Yes looks like the end cavities of your mold weren't filled all the way. If you're really ambitious you can fix this by drilling air holes into the silicone at those areas and this air hole will act like a vacuum and pull the hot metal through these thin cavities. But there is no guarantee that will work exactly, gravity casting is very tricky as you know!

Precision drilling is hard. I cast some parts today and could not reliably drill the holes. The best method is to have as short a drill bit as possible so it does not "walk" on your piece when the bit bends. It's also better to go with a smaller bit first to create a "pilot hole" and then go in with your larger bit. Other methods that help is to use a "machinist's punch" to create your guide hole (just a small dot) and that will direct your bit and keep it from walking on the piece. When I design silicone molds I'm now trying to partially incorporate the holes into the mold and then just finish the holes off with a drill press to make them smooth and then tap them. I'm sure you already know most of those methods... BigGrin

What temperature did the metal melt at?

Today I cast a part using a Zinc alloy close to what Marklin used back in the day at it was at around 950F.

Paul

PS. I do have the part you need, but of course I'd much rather see you make it yourself, I was absolutely stunned to see you've made this much progress in one day! I've been researching metal casting for over a year and finally today got my first halfway decent part.

Probably the best way to deal with thin walls is just to fill the holes on the original and the make the holes yourself in the copy. I had some home experience casting plastics and rubbers but most of the time always short of perfect. As you know it is very time consuming and for certain materials very complicate to deal with air bubbles. Today was my first metal adventure and while not 100 I am very pleased to have done it. It was great fun too.

The sixth casting just came out of the mold, it is slighty worse than the one in the photo but only for very little. I will have a go over the weekend at just drilling this piece with my regular drill with more attention than what I normally useCrying I want a milling machine but it is just more money and space which I'd like to avoid spending.

The metal I had sitting there for about 2 to 3 years so I only vaguely remember (I could easily be wrong) it was meant to melt at around C*280 which seems to be F 536. I couldn't find the high temp silicone which probably went bad and ended up in the garbage but I used a fast acting one which didn't seem to be affected by the heat. I had buckets of water and a fire extinguisher next to me LOL glad they weren't needed. I used a butane plumber's torch and peaches tin with a stick across as a container. Woot

I really thank you for your encouragement because otherwise I may have put it in the too hard basket without even trying.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline Tom Jessop  
#22 Posted : 12 July 2013 08:47:00(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

This looks like a very interesting read for the future , Well Done. One question, is the metal that has been already poured & turned out defective in the mold usable again by reheating or a case of only usable for fishing sinkers? I have been lucky with my older engines [G800, SK800 & HR800 ] with none showing any Zink pest yet , I'll keep my fingers crossed .

Well done again ,
Tom in Oz.
#23 Posted : 12 July 2013 10:10:54(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post

This looks like a very interesting read for the future , Well Done. One question, is the metal that has been already poured & turned out defective in the mold usable again by reheating or a case of only usable for fishing sinkers? I have been lucky with my older engines [G800, SK800 & HR800 ] with none showing any Zink pest yet , I'll keep my fingers crossed .

Well done again ,
Tom in Oz.

I have reused most of the metal from the faulty castings. However I would not persist in doing it way too many times because all sort of contaminants might get into the mixture. That's something to keep seriously in mind when you are running just a very small operation which is far from being done under the best conditions. Those contaminants are probably in a great percentage the cause of Marklin and many other brands failure by zinc pest.

I am yet to see a well cared G800 that has suffered from much more than the whitening in the tender. Later SK800 and HR seem to be quite good. But the early ones are the problem. If they are old versions and haven't shown it by now they probably won't. Nevertheless you have to be much more careful because it might not be visible but if it suffers from it in a low degree a hard knock against something might make the casting crack a lot more easily than expected.

By the way, the crack in my original casting is more likely to have been caused by bad handling of the articulate loco rather than zinc pest. The area was already a weak point because of the shape of the part and not a lot force is needed to break it.
#24 Posted : 13 July 2013 14:50:17(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I'll add this update in case someone is following this story. Despite the two casting I've made looking promising. I have decided to remake the half of the mould that giving most of the inaccuracy. That included filling some of the holes in the original (black) for the new mold. Today I bought some more material and started drilling on one of the 2 initial castings. So far the holes seem to be more or less in line to what they should be but many more and some machining are necessary to finish a piece. This part as I was expecting is more challenging than making the cast because there isn't much room for error or the motor won't fit or work.

I also need to tap three threads on the cast, I have done one and it seems to be right but I won't know until everything is ready to be reassembled. Making threads by hand with the tap and die set I bought is a lot harder than expected. Luckily, I've practiced a few times on a piece of spare metal and did not ruin the castings. I ended up using my foot drill, turning the drill by hand and pushing it down with the lever. I've got some results that way. Doing it with the handle included in the set at least for this size was a disaster.

Tomorrow I will try the new mold.
P1040663.JPG
P1040662.JPG
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline Chook  
#25 Posted : 13 July 2013 15:17:47(UTC)
Chook

Australia   
Yes I am following it and really enjoying your thread.
Could you give us a picture of your mold just before the pour please?

Regards...Chook.
#26 Posted : 13 July 2013 15:30:45(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Chook Go to Quoted Post
Yes I am following it and really enjoying your thread.
Could you give us a picture of your mold just before the pour please?

Regards...Chook.

Actually, that photo in the prior post is exactly that. The pink stuff in there is the old other half of the mold which it was made two days ago. I am only remaking one half. I will include a photo from the beginning but Iactually made some changes after the photo.
P1040657.JPG
#27 Posted : 13 July 2013 15:54:09(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Looks great...I see you're starting to realize the importance of venting with air holes when casting metal BigGrin I think that's going to make all the difference and bring you that perfect part that comes out of the mold with very little machining required. Don't be afraid also to cut air holes and vents after the mold is made with a sharp knife or scalpel.

Keep up the great work! Seeing these photos and updates is exciting

Paul
#28 Posted : 13 July 2013 16:19:00(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Looks great...I see you're starting to realize the importance of venting with air holes when casting metal BigGrin I think that's going to make all the difference and bring you that perfect part that comes out of the mold with very little machining required. Don't be afraid also to cut air holes and vents after the mold is made with a sharp knife or scalpel.

Keep up the great work! Seeing these photos and updates is exciting

Paul

The other one had two air holes but most of the problem (who knows if I have a new one now) was caused because those two L shaped legs had internal holes (which) I didn't cover. That was filled by silicone, which in turn left only a very thin wall that could be filled with metal complicating the circulation of material. I could have put bigger air vents but I am not sure that would ha prevented that problem.
In any case, this time I was more careful designing this part of the mold and I hope it will need less machining and produce a better cast. I'll tell you in about 15 hours. I am quite excited about it, even if it doesn't work -but I think it will- it was a great experience to finally make a metal cast. I always thought they were going to be wheels but this is turning up to be better because I am learning much more and hopefully will fix my croc that's been waiting years for attention. After this, the milling machine is something I should consider buying more seriously. Placing the holes centres under the drill would take a fraction of what it takes me with the drill.
#29 Posted : 13 July 2013 18:32:32(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Sounds like you've got it figured out. I bet you're right it's better to fill those in with some clay or wax so you don't have to worry about the thin walls filling in. Also making sure you're casting at a high enough temperature is helpful so that the metal hasn't partially solidified by the time it reaches these cavities, that might help as well.

Having a precision drill or milling machine is a huge help. The Proxxon MF70 combines both of these and can be converted to CNC relatively easily. I don't own a Proxxon but I've heard good things about them.

Here is the Proxxon if you haven't seen this model yet:

http://www.proxxontools....viewPrd.asp?idproduct=63

I look forward to seeing the results.

Best regards,

Paul
#30 Posted : 18 July 2013 23:06:09(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Sounds like you've got it figured out. I bet you're right it's better to fill those in with some clay or wax so you don't have to worry about the thin walls filling in. Also making sure you're casting at a high enough temperature is helpful so that the metal hasn't partially solidified by the time it reaches these cavities, that might help as well.

Having a precision drill or milling machine is a huge help. The Proxxon MF70 combines both of these and can be converted to CNC relatively easily. I don't own a Proxxon but I've heard good things about them.

Here is the Proxxon if you haven't seen this model yet:

http://www.proxxontools....viewPrd.asp?idproduct=63

I look forward to seeing the results.

Best regards,

Paul

Well I've been looking at the Proxxon and I like it, the only issue it seems very small and probably weak? but the price is tempting. The next model up which is not that big either (230) is about 3 times more expensive and not that tempting price wise but it is another contender. I like the idea of getting one specially because apparently I can get them locally quite easily and without being overpriced compared to other countries which is often the case. I think in the medium or short term I migh get myself a present. There is something else I found of interest but that will have to wait http://www.ebay.com.au/i...trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Now coming back to the croc: Bad news, after making the new second half of the mold I casted three pieces. The problem I was trying to solve was pretty much solved however I either introduced a new problem when I re-inserted the original in the old mold to produce the second half or the silicone used which is not intended for high temperatures might have got to the end of it's useful life. The pieces all look good but they lost the fine detail needed in a few slots like where the board with the brushes fit or the lever to change contact from panthographs to shoe. Fixing that problem in those castings is just about impossible, that needs to be right from start

I am considering making a full new mold or using a different alloy which is meant to keep more detail and it is supposedly harder than the one I am using.

For the moment I still got the two decent earlier castings which might get some extra work this weekend. One of the issues with them is that while I have managed to make one apparently good thread for one of the screws I can see that the metal might still be too soft and could cause problems during re-assembly of the motor.

I'll write another update as soon as I get somewhere further, hopefully!