Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kumarvartak  
#1 Posted : 16 June 2013 10:50:58(UTC)
kumarvartak

I am attempting to install signals on my Marklin HO analog layout. I am doing this for the first time.Can some one advise me as to when the switch track 5146/5147 can be used and when does one use contact Tracks 5104/5105.
I want to achieve the automatic running of two or more trains on the same track with the help of signals.
Is it necessary to insulate the tracks that is create separate circuits to achieve this or is insulation not necessary to use insulation when using a contact track or an switch track.Insulation I feel can be achieved by inserting a piece of paper between the clips when joining two track pieces is that correct.
Also what are the advantages and disadvantages of using both types of tracks , switch and contact.
Please help.
Thank you
Kumar
India
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 17 June 2013 11:24:46(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kumarvartak Go to Quoted Post
I am attempting to install signals on my Marklin HO analog layout. I am doing this for the first time.Can some one advise me as to when the switch track 5146/5147 can be used and when does one use contact Tracks 5104/5105.
I want to achieve the automatic running of two or more trains on the same track with the help of signals.
Is it necessary to insulate the tracks that is create separate circuits to achieve this or is insulation not necessary to use insulation when using a contact track or an switch track.Insulation I feel can be achieved by inserting a piece of paper between the clips when joining two track pieces is that correct.
Also what are the advantages and disadvantages of using both types of tracks , switch and contact.
Please help.
Thank you
Kumar
India

Hi Kumar,

As per your previous message (https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/yaf_postst26715_Marklin-Solenoid-Devices--Signals-and-Points.aspx)... did you download the Signal Manual which I provided the link for?

Regards

Steve

Edited by user 17 June 2013 21:22:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kumarvartak  
#3 Posted : 18 June 2013 05:11:18(UTC)
kumarvartak

Yes Thanks, have downloaded the same and have a better understanding, though my understanding will betested when I actually try it out on my layout, hoping for the best. Thanks again
Kumar
India
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 18 June 2013 06:36:55(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kumarvartak Go to Quoted Post
Yes Thanks, have downloaded the same and have a better understanding, though my understanding will be tested when I actually try it out on my layout, hoping for the best. Thanks again
Kumar
India

Hi Kumar, ok that's great, at least you have a basis to work from.

To answer your specific question about the difference between the two track types;

The 5146/5147 'Switching / Circuit' track sections are directional, and designed for momentary contact only. Mainly to operate a solenoid device such as a signal, a turnout or a relay to control other devices. Solenoid devices should not have power continually applied otherwise the solenoid will overheat and can burn out.

The Switching/Circuit tracks also offer the advantage of being directional so that a train can pass in one direction and trigger one circuit, whereas a train going in the opposite direction would trigger a different circuit.

These track sections are only triggered by a passing pickup shoe, which may be a good or bad thing depending on your layout design. Additional pickup shoes (for example on coaches with lighting) may trigger a circuit again after it has been reset leading to unexpected results so you need to allow for the longest length train likely to pass that track section.

The 5104/5105 Contact Track sections are activated by the wheels and are designed for situations where you do want continual power. One good example of this is to turn on station lights while a train is passing through the station. Contact track sections have a start track and an end track, and all the sections between them are also isolated, so you need at least as many sections as the length of the station.

A second use is the electric Barrier Arm level crossing where you want the boom arms to lower a little before the train goes through the crossing and not raise until the train is well clear. So long as any Loco or item of rolling stock is anywhere on the isolated section, the circuit is completed through the wheels.

A third use is for track occupancy detection, especially useful if you make a track diagram control board where you can have lights to indicate a section of track and whenever a train is on that section, the light will be on. This can be visually quite attractive, but also helpful in a long tunnel or other hidden section of your railway so that you can still 'see' where your trains are from the diagram board. it's also very helpful if you were to have a hidden storage yard or passing loop, where you can tell at a glance of the diagram board whether there is already a train on that siding.

This feature is rarely used and I personally think it adds a heap of 'play value' to any layout, big or small.

Note that these track sections do not use a passing pickup shoe, they use the wheels. Yes a small section of paper, insulation tape etc is fine to separate the third-rail contacts to create your isolated sections.

The attached image below from a later version of the 0341 Signal Manual should help (with thanks to Bigdaddynz Offline for the original scan).

About the best thing you can do is experiment with the track types with various solenoid devices and some standard Marklin lights and see the result with your own eyes. You can't really go wrong with the signal manual as a reference.

Does this help? Keep the questions coming ThumpUp

Regards

Steve
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
kumar-trackdetection.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kumarvartak  
#5 Posted : 18 June 2013 09:40:58(UTC)
kumarvartak

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the note and diagrams regarding contact and switch rails, it is the most simple and easy to understand explanation I have received. Yes more questions will follow, when I try out what you have sent on my layout.I have already downloaded the signal manual from which you have,
selected the diagrams.
Thanks again for replying to all ore questions, promptly.
Kumar
India