Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline reelnewz  
#1 Posted : 04 June 2013 00:50:47(UTC)
reelnewz

United States   
What is the best SK800 resource?

I just sold a lot of trains including a 1959 HO majestic beast to an eBay buyer. I had tested all of them including the 800 before sales and shipping, they were only about C-6 but at least they moved with a little poking, prodding, contact sandpapering and WD-40.

After shipping the buyer indicates the SK 800 arrived with the chassis off and the unit only producing sparks, when it was shipped evidently there was a fall or other USPS trouble. It was shipped inside a full tin roundhouse which seemed solid enough for shipping but never underestimate the post office from what it seems.

Instead of going into the toil and trouble of ebay claims/investigation/USPS....since I know it was moving with a little help before I sent it...is there a good checklist or restoration site that I can send him to that will reveal how badly injured it might be?

Thanks for all your help,
reelnewz attached the following image(s):
trainlight5.jpg
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#2 Posted : 04 June 2013 02:50:15(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Sorry this happened to you. As a seller it has happened to me too and I had to go through the trouble of receiving the returned item only to fix it very quickly just by putting a spring back in place.

First thing to check...how well does the motor turn over when you move the wheels gently with your fingers? If the gears are caught then this can cause the motor to spark and smoke because it's trying to move but can't. Otherwise you'll want to check soldering areas and motor brushes....any wires touching the chassis frame when they shouldn't be?

Best regards,

Paul
Offline reelnewz  
#3 Posted : 04 June 2013 03:42:18(UTC)
reelnewz

United States   
Thanks Paul!

I have sent your suggestions to the buyer and sent him this link.
Hopefully he can duck in here and connect with yourself and other experts in order to troubleshoot this issue.

It really stinks at having something work at your house after all these years, then go through all the decision and worry to sell it, only to have shipping carelessness or other random factor change the condition so drastically. :(

Anyway, thanks for walking me through.
Offline Tiki734  
#4 Posted : 05 June 2013 06:35:26(UTC)
Tiki734

Australia   
The set that you sold as previously discussed on this forum was a nice little collection but with only one item which is considered collectable and that is the SK800. Unfortunately for all of the collectors out there this particular model appears to suffer from zinz pest more than others. Its a buyer beware that the chances of the castings being in one piece after posting is a real risk and can render the item considerably less valuable. If a rough value of your version is worth about $500 and now the body and chasis have parted that means somewhere a cast part has basically fallen of then the only way to fix is to bog up or get a replacement part either new or original. These parts do not come cheap. Perhaps the new owner is somehow blaming you as the sender and asking for some money back. That's up to you. If it need new parts then Ritter Restorer in Germany would have everything that is needed or ebay. If you could ask the new owner to send some photos of the broken bits this forum will tell you what happened and what needs to be done to fix.
All the best
Roger
Offline brian.barnes.524381  
#5 Posted : 11 June 2013 19:32:20(UTC)
brian.barnes.524381

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: reelnewz Go to Quoted Post
What is the best SK800 resource?

I just sold a lot of trains including a 1959 HO majestic beast to an eBay buyer. I had tested all of them including the 800 before sales and shipping, they were only about C-6 but at least they moved with a little poking, prodding, contact sandpapering and WD-40.

After shipping the buyer indicates the SK 800 arrived with the chassis off and the unit only producing sparks, when it was shipped evidently there was a fall or other USPS trouble. It was shipped inside a full tin roundhouse which seemed solid enough for shipping but never underestimate the post office from what it seems.

Instead of going into the toil and trouble of ebay claims/investigation/USPS....since I know it was moving with a little help before I sent it...is there a good checklist or restoration site that I can send him to that will reveal how badly injured it might be?

Thanks for all your help,

Looks like your Gandfather is not done yet with the setScared