Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2013 12:05:22(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Tip stolen from Alan on the B&G....

https://www.google.co.uk/

Cool

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2013 12:13:55(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

Thanks Steve. A great story, and a legend.

I still collect Hornby Dublo 3 rail (first sold in 1938).
I continue to be amazed by its robustness and sound design.

I was in Ipswich UK in 1996, and noticed a diesel locomotive in a siding, with the name plate "Sir Frank Hornby".
I have a photo somewhere.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Ian555  
#3 Posted : 15 May 2013 12:41:18(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the link.

I also have a very modest Hornby Dublo 3 Rail layout.

Ian.

UserPostedImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

UserPostedImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 15 May 2013 14:37:34(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Meccano was my favourite toy in my childhood. I preferred it over the next best toy, Lego, because I could make things that worked!

I also had a small collection of Dinky toys and some items of Hornby Dublo, so I guess I have a few reasons to be grateful to Frank Hornby!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 15 May 2013 21:07:05(UTC)
Webmaster

Well - Märklin, Lego, Faller, Meccano, Dinky, Corgi, Matchbox, Britains, Scalextric, Airfix & Humbrol - that's my childhood condensed into the most important bits of influence for the rest of my life...

No Hornby trains though, since Märklin ruled here in the 60's...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 15 May 2013 21:40:07(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Frank Hornby died in 1936 before Horby Dublo launch in 1938.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Yumgui  
#7 Posted : 15 May 2013 21:55:38(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Hornby O scale here ... very wonderful stuff ...

Thanks Frank, and Happy Bday !

In memory, with all my respect,

Y ThumpUp
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline petestra  
#8 Posted : 15 May 2013 22:27:35(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi, My friends from the UK have a-lot to be proud of about many things that their great empire

has developed. I've been thinking lately that we yanks never should have began a revolution in the

first place. Happy Anniversary to Hornby and all its lovers. Peter ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp Smile
Offline kimballthurlow  
#9 Posted : 15 May 2013 23:00:11(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

Another good link from Frank's home town, this time with a picture gallery.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/meccano-dinky-inventor-frank-hornby-3817527

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Bryan  
#10 Posted : 16 May 2013 00:15:44(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi All

Frank Hornby died in 1936 long before the introduction of Hornby-Dublo in September 1938. From all accounts Dublo was designed and tooled
in the 1937-38 period. The two Meccano engineers responsible for the design were Donald Smith, Dublo design generally and Ronald Wyborn, Dublo electrical, transformers, production, etc. Both were absolute perfectionists and you can see their results in the original Dublo made 1938 - 1950. Donald Smith was an engineer whose design was both mechanically sound and aesthetically brilliant, a rare combination for an engineer. Donald Smith left Meccano in the early 1950's, however Ronald continued at Meccano until the end of Dublo in 1964 designing the Dublo ring-field motor. Both men remained close friends all their lives, both now gone of course. I had only one correspondance by letter with Ronald Wyborn, even his letters well into his retirement where technically quite facinating. I had the rare chance to meet Ron while in Liverpool, however regretted not doing so ever since.

Cheers
Bryan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline Chook  
#11 Posted : 16 May 2013 11:43:52(UTC)
Chook

Australia   
Those 3 men are probably responsible for producing more engineers than they could imagine.
I should also thank my parents for introducing me to Meccano all of those years ago!

Regards..........Chook
Offline Fallerfreak  
#12 Posted : 16 May 2013 18:05:08(UTC)
Fallerfreak

Sweden   
Can these Hornby 3-rail trains run on Märklin track?
Offline cookee_nz  
#13 Posted : 16 May 2013 20:22:47(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Fallerfreak Go to Quoted Post
Can these Hornby 3-rail trains run on Märklin track?

Yes and no - they have spoon collectors so they would need the older solid middle rail, or possibly some form of modification to a slider to work with stud track.

They also have a slightly finer flange than Marklin models and this could cause problems on certain turnouts.

Other than that however they run quite well.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline cookee_nz  
#14 Posted : 16 May 2013 20:28:29(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Just speculating, what are the chances Google.de will recognise 2 April 2017 (and why) ??
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bryan  
#15 Posted : 18 May 2013 03:35:06(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi All

Just one other point about Frank Hornby, in particular with the Marklin story in mind. After WWI Meccano introduced the 'Hornby Series' of clockwork trains. To be exact, the very first trains in 1920 did not have this brand name, 'Hornby Series' came about 12 months later. The very first 1920 O-gauge train manufactured by Meccano was a tin printed LNWR 'George the Fifth' loco and tender set. The loco was a direct copy, especially mechanically on a German Bing design. There are historical UK company records from this time that prove Meccano and Frank Hornby were very upset with the German's, in particular Marklin for copying Meccano and not paying any royalties on Meccano's patents. So one of the reasons Meccano went into producing their Hornby Series was for retaliation. This market had been always been a Nuremberg, Bing and Marklin monopoly in the UK. Basically Meccano felt if Nuremberg could copy Meccano and sell it in Europe, Meccano could do the same for their trains in the UK. The trains eventually became more important to Meccano Ltd than the Meccano product itself. When Meccano lost the right to manufacture model trains in 1964 with the Lines Bros takeover, this was basically the end of Meccano which came later in 1979. The situation arising by bad Meccano management in the 1950's, however this is another story. These Meccano historical company records were published in the UK HRCA journal some time back and were fascinating to read.

So on Frank Hornby's 150the birtheday hopefully he has forgiven Marklin for copying his beloved Meccano.....

Cheers
Bryan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline rmsailor  
#16 Posted : 18 May 2013 13:39:47(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi,

After the Great War there was a general hatred of anything German and strong resistance to buying anything made in Germany, so it was an opportune time for Meccano to start making toy trains
Offline cookee_nz  
#17 Posted : 19 May 2013 00:37:18(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Just speculating, what are the chances Google.de will recognise 2 April 2017 (and why) ??

BUMP

No takers? - maybe I should have made it a quiz Flapper
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline steventrain  
#18 Posted : 19 May 2013 10:35:47(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
History and pictures of Meccano Factory, Binns Road, Liverpool - See link >Meccano Factory<

Sadly it is now a car park.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline rmsailor  
#19 Posted : 19 May 2013 12:04:51(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
If you are interested in the products of Binns Rd., the house magazine of Meccano can be found on-line at http://mecanno.magazines.free.fr/ .It covers the entire period of publication from from 1916 to 1981.
Bob M.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline Paul59  
#20 Posted : 19 May 2013 12:19:41(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Those Meccano magazines were excellent, especially the earlier ones.
They contained all sorts of articles and stuff of interest to boys of all ages and were very educational.
They even included adverts for employment opportunities, apprentiships, armed forces etc for older lads.

I'm not sure if there's any equivalent these days but I suspect not.
I often read them and learn stuff even now - the only problem is if I push too much stuff into my brain these days I risk some of the old stuff falling out the other side Huh

Paul
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
Offline kimballthurlow  
#21 Posted : 19 May 2013 12:27:10(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Paul59 Go to Quoted Post
Those Meccano magazines were excellent, especially the earlier ones.
They contained all sorts of articles and stuff of interest to boys of all ages and were very educational.
They even included adverts for employment opportunities, apprentiships, armed forces etc for older lads.

I'm not sure if there's any equivalent these days but I suspect not.
I often read them and learn stuff even now - the only problem is if I push too much stuff into my brain these days I risk some of the old stuff falling out the other side Huh

Paul

Hi Paul,
When I was a teenager in the 50s, I used to borrow the Meccano Magazine religiously every month from my local library in Toowoomba, Queensland. Fact is I could not afford any of the trains that were featured therein, but I learnt a lot about British trains and their operation.

Now I get the Marklin magazine, and learn a lot about German trains. My my!

regards
Kimball