Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rocca  
#1 Posted : 27 April 2013 08:58:04(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Dear Märklin friends,

I noticed this strange thing: I do not remember exactly, but it will be several years now, maybe even 5 or 6 when I change the batteries in the Central Station 1 and I did not even no indication of the indicator that in the past appeared in the screen, when the batteries were loosing power .
It 'happened to you? The usage is pretty intense, because I open every day for an hour at least.
What do you recommend?

thanks in advance
Stefano Rocca
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 27 April 2013 10:01:19(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Rocca Go to Quoted Post
Dear Märklin friends,

I noticed this strange thing: I do not remember exactly, but it will be several years now, maybe even 5 or 6 when I change the batteries in the Central Station 1 and I did not even no indication of the indicator that in the past appeared in the screen, when the batteries were loosing power .
It 'happened to you? The usage is pretty intense, because I open every day for an hour at least.
What do you recommend?

thanks in advance
Stefano Rocca

Hi,
I noticed my battery indicator last night too, for the first time. It is a bit low.
I guess I will need to replace the AA cell.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Dave Banks  
#3 Posted : 27 April 2013 10:54:16(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
My advice to owners of this central station is to change batteries ( Good quality one's) yearly or even leave them out all together. Just get into the habit of holding the stop button down till it shuts down by its self. I had an instance where I forgot all about the batteries & they leaked with disastrous results. The tracks got eaten away. I now have an Ecos 50200 & have never found the need to use batteries. But that is just my personal choice. See below:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
D.A.Banks
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 27 April 2013 11:21:47(UTC)
H0

My advice is not to put any batteries in at all.
Batteries are only used to power the CS1 during shutdown if you do not shut it down before pulling the plug.

No batteries are needed if you always shut it down properly before pulling the plug.

I never had batteries in my CS1 - and I never had any problems.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Rocca  
#5 Posted : 27 April 2013 18:39:15(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
My advice is not to put any batteries in at all.
Batteries are only used to power the CS1 during shutdown if you do not shut it down before pulling the plug.

No batteries are needed if you always shut it down properly before pulling the plug.

I never had batteries in my CS1 - and I never had any problems.

Dear Friends,

Well! I removed the batteries, and I noticed that they are completely intact, and when I initialized again the Central Station, it reappered the traditional symbol that indicates the level of the batteries.
I am very happy! In fact, I was worried for nothing.
Have a nice evening

Stefano

Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 27 April 2013 23:59:50(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I concur with the "no battery" ideal

While "shutting down" may be a burden compared to the the 6021s "power off" the CS1 introduced a couple of features that ensured the controller was in-sync with the layout when it restarted
- Startup : Use previous speed and direction values
- Startup : Switch Accessories at startup.
If power was removed suddenly then the batteries provided for a flush of this dynamic data to permanent memory.

Also, changes to items like routes/shuttles do get to permanent memory "eventually" (10s minutes) - however if these were uncommitted at power off (without shutdown) the battery covered for this destage also.

Note: While I refer to sudden power offs, the same applies if the CS1 restarts (usually experiences with poor programming from a PC or PDA)

Summary, if you have made configuration changes - always do a shutdown. otherwise it is desirable, but not really a show stopper.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott