Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steventrain  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2013 16:12:30(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
See news.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/...st-time-in-20-years.html

Hornby Train could be bring back to UK from China in the furture.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline danmarklinman  
#2 Posted : 30 March 2013 22:17:47(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
See news.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/...st-time-in-20-years.html

Hornby Train could be bring back to UK from China in the furture.

i am glad to see this sought of thing back in the UK
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline nevw  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2013 07:25:00(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
It thas been reliably on various Model Rail forums that Hornby is ceasing all production in China and commencing to manufacture only in the UK, and that all new models will be HO. thay are saying that with Europisation OO scale is now an oddity and has a declining market share in the UK.

nn

Merged with earlier and similar topic.
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2013 12:09:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Nev, where did you read that? Changing UK models to HO has been tried before, in the seventies, by Lima. It was a complete flop and they had to scrap the range completely and start again in OO.

As a regular reader of Railway Modeller magazine I am reasonably clear about how UK modellers feel about the scale, and I think it unlikely that they would accept a change of scale to HO. There is a small group of British outline HO modellers in UK, but most would rather stick to OO, or convert their OO locos to EM or P4 gauge to bring the gauge into line with the scale.

As to the market share of H0 to 00, you have to search high and low nowadays in UK to find any model shop that sells anything other than Hornby or Bachmann 00, or Graham Farish N products.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Nigel Packer  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2013 16:57:07(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Nev, where did you read that? Changing UK models to HO has been tried before, in the seventies, by Lima. It was a complete flop and they had to scrap the range completely and start again in OO.

As a regular reader of Railway Modeller magazine I am reasonably clear about how UK modellers feel about the scale, and I think it unlikely that they would accept a change of scale to HO. There is a small group of British outline HO modellers in UK, but most would rather stick to OO, or convert their OO locos to EM or P4 gauge to bring the gauge into line with the scale.

As to the market share of H0 to 00, you have to search high and low nowadays in UK to find any model shop that sells anything other than Hornby or Bachmann 00, or Graham Farish N products.

Has the date of Nev's post anything to do with it???

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2013 19:31:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
OK, you got me with an April fool! BigGrin
Ray
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline danmarklinman  
#7 Posted : 01 April 2013 23:54:04(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   

Hook line and sinker RayLOL LOL
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 02 April 2013 07:18:45(UTC)
H0

OK, you got me with an April fool! BigGrin
You're not the only one - someone merged two separate threads.
Stephen's post is no hoax IMHO.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline old toot  
#9 Posted : 02 April 2013 10:14:06(UTC)
old toot

New Zealand   

well sounds like they are following Marklins lead with Z the wage costs, freight cost and quality control and probally
they will also get back far better control of their production setup and is getting to be quite a trend in europe.

we have found that the z locos coming out of the new marklin factory are far better running that what we were
getting out of china including the slow speed running and the detail also is better as they are working through
redoing a lot of the locos with new Cad input and design
And they may also be finding that a lot of the european makers have upper their quality and detail and that what they
have been getting out of china is no longer doing the job and their Uk buyers are expecting more from them
so it will be interesting to see what happens
old toot
were we pickit, packit and postit
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 02 April 2013 13:41:32(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I agree with Brian.

When Hornby moved production to China the quailty of the locos went up tremendously. They looked much nicer and ran much better than the ones made in Margate. Since then, however, European built models have caught up, with similar quailty of construction and better reliabilty than the Chinese factories produce. During that time it has also become more expensive to make things in China. Today, it makes more sense again to produce in European factories.
Ray