Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Martin T  
#1 Posted : 26 March 2013 23:00:49(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Hi!

Weathering seems to be such a holy cow.With all respect to the artists that really do magic with your brushes. In this video I do it my way. Quick, dirty and non-destructive. It's not according to any prototype picture, just to get a generally weathered look, which is not special, not completely correct, but not completetly wrong either. Best of all. You're done in 4 minutes!
Smile

Who said I'm always in a hurry to get the jobs done?! LOL

Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by Martin T
Offline obxbill  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2013 00:01:02(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
Excellent how-to! Thanks for doin that. very simple but also effective and it could always be sealed with a clear flat to make it permanent.

Bill
Marklin HO and Z also Hornby 00 and US 2-rail
Offline Martin T  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2013 09:42:01(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: obxbill Go to Quoted Post
Excellent how-to! Thanks for doin that. very simple but also effective and it could always be sealed with a clear flat to make it permanent.

Bill

Thank you! Smile

Correct Bill. There are several ways to move beyond this simple way to weather by using basically same method with chalks, but add wash, coat and build rust in layers. I have plans to make several episodes of this tutorial in the near future.

I personally hesitated long before I started to paint any of my precious rolling stock. With this method anyone can grow their skills without loosing value of the Märklin products and later, when your skills has grown, move over to a permanent weathering bringing all those skills with you.

Again, thank you very much for the positive feedback and thanks.
ThumpUp
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martin T
Offline kbvrod  
#4 Posted : 27 March 2013 16:15:45(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Martin,all,
Great! PM me we have a lot to talk about!BigGrin

Dr D
Offline Christoffer  
#5 Posted : 27 March 2013 16:25:38(UTC)
Christoffer

Norway   
To keep the powder there, you can use a fixative for this. Dullcoat or similar, a matt fixative is preferred :)

Christoffer
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Christoffer
Offline BR01097  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2013 03:09:01(UTC)
BR01097

United States   

These all came out so well, each unique, which is hard to get in mass-produced quantities. Many of my models look way too new to be typical rolling stock one might see. But they are Marklin, they are not cheap. This reversible, easy method takes away all worries. Stort tack!

Collector of Märklin fine-quality trains since 1966.

Offline Martin T  
#7 Posted : 03 April 2013 08:36:15(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Hi!

I got a comment from elsewhere, which needs to be added to this. ThumpUp

I show a stiff brush in the video with rather short hair length. One way to achieve this is to cut a brush you may have in store already. Then, if you do so. Please make sure to swipe the cut brush back and forth over rather rough sanding paper. You may already guessed why.. All the hairs cut with a scissor, or knife gets a kind of square end shape, which might scratch the plastic surface of your wagons. Scared After the sanding treatment, it will not. Also, the sanding treatment will make the brush capable of carrying more of the chalk too, so you will get new properties in that end too.

That's it!
Regards / Martin T
Offline Martin T  
#8 Posted : 03 April 2013 09:28:10(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Christoffer Go to Quoted Post
To keep the powder there, you can use a fixative for this. Dullcoat or similar, a matt fixative is preferred :)

Christoffer

Hi Christoffer,

Yes, you are absolutely right. Or one can use a dull coat with airbrush too, in case you have one.
A word of advise on this topic.. About 50% of the effect from the powder is lost when the coat is applied. So build up with plenty of extra dust if you intend to put protective coat over it.
Regards / Martin T
Offline arcanjo  
#9 Posted : 03 April 2013 16:32:19(UTC)
arcanjo

Portugal   
Hi all!

I, who don´t have much artistic hands, is almost convinced to try this on a simple wagon! Doesn´t look too hard to do!

Regards and great job!

Miguel
Offline Christoffer  
#10 Posted : 07 April 2013 01:57:45(UTC)
Christoffer

Norway   
Hello everyone.

Here is a similar doing like Martin did in his video. The only difference is that i have used burnt umber acrylic paint on the trucks before i powdered them down, this will also make the powder stay in place.. Also took a round with dry brush on the rest before powder..

UserPostedImage
it is a huge difference.. an improvment in my eyes, you can also do without the paint on the trucks, but i like it this way cause it tones down the plastic look, while the powder makes it dirty ThumpUp

Christoffer
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Christoffer
Offline Christoffer  
#11 Posted : 07 April 2013 20:59:20(UTC)
Christoffer

Norway   
Hi again.

Weathering inspires me alot, so i did have a go with powder on my EL 10 and here are the result :

UserPostedImage
This is powder only, no paint no fuss, just powdered down, then i used a cotton swab for touch up.
What do you think?

Christoffer
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Christoffer
Offline kbvrod  
#12 Posted : 07 April 2013 21:55:23(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: Martin T Go to Quoted Post

Christoffer

Hi Christoffer,

Yes, you are absolutely right. Or one can use a dull coat with airbrush too, in case you have one.
A word of advise on this topic.. About 50% of the effect from the powder is lost when the coat is applied. So build up with plenty of extra dust if you intend to put protective coat over it.

Hi Martin,all,
It does depend on the powder/chalk used. My first attempts,it did as you said blow it right off.Angry Yet,I found other chalks that actually stayed where I put them.Another tip- rub and scrub three men in a tub and they will hold better.Also,if the effect is not to you standard,have chalks ready to brush over before the varnish/Dull-cote dries.

Dr D

Offline kbvrod  
#13 Posted : 07 April 2013 22:01:57(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hello everyone.

it is a huge difference.. an improvment in my eyes, you can also do w
ithout the paint on the trucks, but i like it this way cause it tones down the plastic look, while the powder makes it dirty ThumpUp Christoffer

Hi Chris,all,
It does! However,that much -rust- would cause concern for the railroad BigGrin Weathering on boggies is in part dust,in that what ever is kicked up from the ballast and soil and attached to the bearings<- is what weathers these.

Dr D

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline Christoffer  
#14 Posted : 07 April 2013 22:22:16(UTC)
Christoffer

Norway   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone.

it is a huge difference.. an improvment in my eyes, you can also do w
ithout the paint on the trucks, but i like it this way cause it tones down the plastic look, while the powder makes it dirty ThumpUp Christoffer

Hi Chris,all,
It does! However,that much -rust- would cause concern for the railroad BigGrin Weathering on boggies is in part dust,in that what ever is kicked up from the ballast and soil and attached to the bearings<- is what weathers these.

Dr D

Concern? hah, i guess you have never been to norway Flapper example from Norwegian Railroad Club here .. Svein Sando has the copyright of this photo :

http://pix.njk.no/16/o16102-20185-10.2506.jpg

As you see, no worries.. not everything that has the rust color has to simulate the rust it self, but dust in rust color.. Just sayin. I guess it depends abit where in the world you are.
Offline Martin T  
#15 Posted : 11 April 2013 10:37:24(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Hi again.

Weathering inspires me alot, so i did have a go with powder on my EL 10 and here are the result :

UserPostedImage
This is powder only, no paint no fuss, just powdered down, then i used a cotton swab for touch up.
What do you think?

Christoffer

Wow!

Really nice work Christoffer! Drool
I still have not powdered any locos yet. It's great to have a photo to start from like you have. ThumpUp

Regards / Martin T
Offline Chook  
#16 Posted : 11 April 2013 15:00:13(UTC)
Chook

Australia   
Christoffer that is impressive.
Have you described your track weathering process yet - they look good as well?

Regards......Chook.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Chook
Offline Christoffer  
#17 Posted : 11 April 2013 20:12:28(UTC)
Christoffer

Norway   
Hello Martin.

Thanks, i was inspired by the NJK database and this thread so it was just to have a go and see what i could do. After i took the picture i also did something to the roof (light black powder, tones down the silver roof a bit.
As you know its just to have a go, if you don't like it you can always try again BigGrin so you are not ruining your model. i think a wise thing to do is get hold of latex gloves, so you don't leave fingermarks on the model, the powder will show your finger prints Flapper

Happy weathering !

Christoffer
Offline Christoffer  
#18 Posted : 11 April 2013 20:30:21(UTC)
Christoffer

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Chook Go to Quoted Post
Christoffer that is impressive.
Have you described your track weathering process yet - they look good as well?

Regards......Chook.

Thanks Chook, Glad you like it. Maybe this will inspire more people to try weathering, either loco or wagons Smile its not that hard, watch a picture of the 1:1 see where dust and rust is, use that as a basis for where to apply the powder. i went and bought cosmetic brushes to use for powder, it works perfect..

The Rails, they are done with humbrol enamels for this i used two colors and mix 110 and 113 (Flat/Matte) Seems absurd that the one they call wood color can be mixed with their rust to make it look better Smile other than that there is nothing special to it, i do it all by hand painting, it is very time consuming but i like it ThumpUp

Christoffer

Edited by user 12 April 2013 01:09:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Christoffer
Offline hxmiesa  
#19 Posted : 19 April 2013 09:28:30(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Nice effect! -It certainly does give a realistic weathered look!
However, I was put down by the absence of weathering on your lok. Now that you have talked the talk in the video, you need to walk the walk with the loko... ;-)

Without a coat of dull varnish, I fear that all this chalk-dust will fall onto the tracks, and get mixed up with the rubber from the traction tires and grease from the drivetrains...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Christoffer  
#20 Posted : 19 April 2013 09:48:49(UTC)
Christoffer

Norway   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Nice effect! -It certainly does give a realistic weathered look!
However, I was put down by the absence of weathering on your lok. Now that you have talked the talk in the video, you need to walk the walk with the loko... ;-)

Without a coat of dull varnish, I fear that all this chalk-dust will fall onto the tracks, and get mixed up with the rubber from the traction tires and grease from the drivetrains...

Hi Henrik.

I don't know if you are speaking to me or to Martin. Martin did the Car in the video, and i did the loco. i showed off the loco since there was something i was doing at the same time.
With this technique you should be more worried about finger prints on the work you've done rather than that the chalk falls off. Thats one of the most important thing to get at good result is to make sure before you chalk the model up. Cause the chalk will show your's or other's finger prints.

Have a great weekend ThumpUp

Christoffer
Offline Goofy  
#21 Posted : 15 July 2013 07:54:57(UTC)
Goofy

It´s very nice video and tips i see here! ThumpUp
A tip from me:
I use first base ground color thinned with special thinner for acryl color.
Use rust...dirt...black color.
Let color dry before to use powder pigment.
It seals better because thinner works like glue to seal powder pigment.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control