Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline magload  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2013 19:49:57(UTC)
magload

United States   
I am trying to find information /opinions/data on using two CS1 in tandem. Is it possible? Would it make sense to do so? I have one CS1 and reside in Germany. Used CS1s can be found on ebay.de and have been going for between 140-185 Euro. Input please. Thanks in advance.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 10 March 2013 20:07:17(UTC)
H0

Hi!

You can connect the other CS1 to the sniffer port of the master CS1.
The sniffer port works with any MM controller. If you have a CS1 reloaded, the sniffer port will work with MM and DCC.

Another option would be a PC software that works with two digital controllers.

If you don't use a CS1 reloaded yet, then I'd rather spend the money on the reloaded upgrade instead of buying another CS1.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2013 21:01:59(UTC)
Webmaster

Tandem setup is working great with a CS2 & "unreloaded" CS1 (ie, not upgraded with the ESU software), however I do not think 2 CS1's can be connected via Ethernet/Home network this way since the "unreloaded" CS1 is a bit less intelligent than the CS2. And a "reloaded" (ESU upgraded) CS1 will not work with CS2 due to a "kids in a sandbox fight" between the companies where the customers are the only ones who get sand in their eyes...

However, I do not know if 2 "ESU Ecos 1" - ie 2 ESU "reloaded" Märklin CS1's can work this way, maybe someone else has an answer for that...

What Tom says may be good advice, just make sure that the used CS1's on eBay are of the hardware upgraded/later versions of the Märklin kind before spending any money on them...
I myself would not go that route, but get a CS2. If you decide to get a used CS2 instead, tandem operation is absolutely possible.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline magload  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2013 18:08:13(UTC)
magload

United States   
Gentlemen: Thanks for your responses. I'll have to "think" about the suggestions and input. It makes sense.
I may stick with what I have for now and use a mobile station which I have as an additional controller.
I am an avid forum reader and this has been my first post. I always appreciate the knowledge which is passed along. Sure has saved me a bunch of trial and error frustrations!
Mike
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2013 19:55:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
You may be able to use 2 CS1 Reloaded's in tandem with 2 ESU Loconet adapters for the Ecos/CS1R, but no one really knows as yet, as ESU is yet to release the Loconet adapter - they announced it over a year ago.

Otherwise, the Professional version of iTrains might work for you, as that supports the connection of multiple controllers.