Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline obiwan  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2013 12:45:11(UTC)
obiwan

Spain   
Hi all,

I've been searching the forum but I couldn't find anything related with my problems with the curved turnouts.
When my locos cross trough a curved turnout, if they go at reduce speed sometimes they stop, as if they loose power. Whem they run at full speed or more than 50% it doesn't happen. I don't know it is a kind of shortcircuit, and it happens in both directions of the turnout.
My layout is digital and consists on two ovals joined by the curved turnouts, and powered by a MS2 with its power pack of 230 volt. /36 VA.

Any ideas how to solve it?

Thanks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by obiwan
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2013 13:22:16(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
What type of track are you using, M, K or C?

Does it happen with all locos or just one or two?

When the loco stops does the overload shut-off activate on your MS or does the MS stay active for other locos? This can help to point to whether it's loss of contact or a short circuit.

Any additional information you can give us will help with the solution to your problem.

I have no problems with any of my 100+ locos on C track curved turnouts, but my old M-track turnouts would sometimes show such behaviour on certain locos, caused by the lower parts of the chassis touching the raised studs where they cross over the running rails.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline obiwan  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2013 13:38:14(UTC)
obiwan

Spain   
Thanks for the reply, Ralf
My track is C track, and it happens with ALL my locos (I only have 3 Blushing ).
When the loco stops.... hum, I'm not sure, but I think the rest (just one) is still running... I'll try tonight.
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2013 13:50:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Please call me Ray! Smile

Problems with C-track usually come down to contact trouble due to dirty rails. Try cleaning the surfaces of the rails with a clean cloth, and maybe some alcohol or similar.

Which are your 3 locos? Don't be embarrassed about it, 20 years ago I only had 2!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kweekalot  
#5 Posted : 05 March 2013 14:01:59(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Jose,

I had the same problem on (solid center rail) turnouts, no contact and sometimes derailing.
In my case the problems were caused by the pickup shoe that was not exactly mounted right, but was somewhat askew.

So..have you already checked the pickup shoe(s) ?

Marco
Offline obiwan  
#6 Posted : 05 March 2013 15:09:11(UTC)
obiwan

Spain   
Sorry Ray!
The tracks are brand new, so I don't think they are dirty, but anyhow I'll clean them.

My three locos are:
- Marklin Br 24 that comes with the starter set.
- Electrotren 321 Renfe (A Spanish one)
- Marklin Br 53 Borsig with winter camo.

I think you have also a Br 53, right? I couldn't resist to check your layout, it's great!

Hi Marco, thanks for your answer. I'll check the pickup shoes, the problem is that I don't know how they have to be... but I think it should be quite obvious if they are wrong, I hope....
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by obiwan
Offline witzlerh  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2013 17:00:32(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
The shoes should be mounted paralled to the wheels when looking from the bottom.
Looking from the side, the shoe should be flat or slightly convex, (Center slightly higher than the ends)
C-track curved turn-outs are not as bad as M-track turnouts. When I have issues as you have mentioned, get real close to the lok as it runs real slow.
Determine what causes the problem, slider hitting rail from top? Long slider falling off pukos? etc.
If I am correct, there are 3 lengths of pick-up shoes. You may have to try a different length.
Gauge of truck wheels may be narrow causing side slop... rare but I found a couple.

Always clean brand new track, there is residual manufacturing oil or fluid that may have an effect.

There are other posts and threads on this issue in this forum.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline solentgreen  
#8 Posted : 07 March 2013 03:59:25(UTC)
solentgreen

Hong Kong   
I also have this problem on my layout, but only with certain locos. As Ray suggests, the first thing is to check whether the loco stopping is due to a short caused whe the loco crosses the turnout which in turn cause the power supply to shut down, or whether the power stays on but the loco stops nevertheless. If the its the latter, then it's a case of loss of contact, either between the pickup shoe & the positive central rail or loss of contact between the negative outer rails and the wheels mainly happens with small locos with few wheels axles).

If you find out which is the cause of the stoppage, then we can suggest ways to overcome that.
Offline obiwan  
#9 Posted : 07 March 2013 17:21:19(UTC)
obiwan

Spain   
Thanks for your answers, they are very helpful!!
Your are making me doubt, but I think that when a loco stops on the turnout, the rest continue, so it should be a loss of contact instead of a short. Nevertheless I'll check tonight...
First I'll clean the turnouts with a clean cloth and some alcohol, then I'll start the locos at very slow speed and look what happen exactly at the turnouts, if the whhels loos contact or the pickup shoe... and what happen with the other loco, still running or stopping.
Thanks and I'll keep you updated of my progress.
Also, if I can I'll make a picture of my actual layout and trains!!
Offline Davy  
#10 Posted : 08 March 2013 16:12:19(UTC)
Davy

Clean also the puko's.
M-track with a CS2.
Offline christos563  
#11 Posted : 08 February 2014 17:12:47(UTC)
christos563

Greece   
HI FROM THESSALONIKI, HELLAS.

I hope that the difficult turnout is the 2267 with the small straight of 64.6 mm. the curves are same as 2221..

The metal and the compact turnouts must be nice. (5140 and 24671).

greetings, christos563.
Offline mattj70  
#12 Posted : 10 February 2014 12:55:35(UTC)
mattj70

United States   
I have 4 of them on my layout right now, one seems to give my steamers trouble as well, thanks for posting!
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 11 February 2014 05:18:52(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The pukos adjacent to the switch are designed to lift the slider so that it can clear the rail. At the same time, they are slightly offset, which can sometimes cause poor contact if the slider is not correctly positioned. I also noticed on one of my RH switches that there is one puko on the outer track which is not powered. From the split of the inner/outer rail, it is the second puko as you head away from the switch on the long side. The metal plate underneath has a cut-out that might have been necessitated for the electrification of the switch track. The opposite track has a different metal plate and that puko is powered. The mounting points for the circuit board also seem to be different on the pair.

Regards

Mike C

Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 11 February 2014 11:56:27(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
another point of interest could be have a look at your middle studs and see if they are slightly above the curving track and I may have missed it, is it only on the inner or outer curved section or both.
also look at your slider not so much if it is level sideways but also level long ways. I find it odd and it would be coincidence to have all 3 sliders faulty or slightly bent, this is why I would look at the height of the middle studs and concentrate more on the turnout itself than the locos.

when the slider moves over the curved track section(s) = tongue = it has to be clear with other words the studs have to be high enough for the slider to go over this section with out touching the curved track sections, if for instance the studs are below and the slider goes over the curved sections it lifts the slider up by doing this the slider could lose its power and the loco stops or in other cases it causes a short having contact with the rail and the middle stud.

to investigate it further let the loco (Renfe) run it in the slowest possible speed and when it stops move it sideways (it is important that the loco isn't moved forward or backwards) so you can see what part of slider is touching or not touching the centre studs.

another questions: are all 3 tracks connected with brown and red wires ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mike c  
#15 Posted : 11 February 2014 21:49:06(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Here's another thought. The pivoting track section is connected to the rails on either side by a small lead where the pivot point is installed. This is also connected to the crossover part of the rails so that ground contact is maintained. If there is dirt between the pivot and the crossover section, this could cause contact issues. As the loco travels across the switch, the weight can be shifted to the outside of the loco, meaning that the ground connection between the outside wheels and the rail becomes more important than on a straight track. Because of the nature of the switch, this makes this track more sensitive than a regular curve.

I would also check the loco to make sure that the ground is working on both sides. Some loks may have axles that are fully insulated and depend on contacts to connect the wheels to the ground. Different manufacturers have varying solutions to making their models compatible with 3 rail AC. Hopefully they use special wheel sets that are non-insulated but this is not always the case.

It is easy to test the switch track using a car/coach with tail light/interior lights as they can be slowly moved along the track and can pinpoint a problem.

If you have an extra set of switches, you can swap them out. If the problem goes away, then you can be assured that the problem is in the track sections. If it does not, it is either due to the design of the switch track or due to a problem with the locomotive. Further testing will help you narrow it down.

Regards

Mike C