Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline poppa-7  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2013 22:54:57(UTC)
poppa-7

Hi
I once found a circuit diagram that shows how to allow a train to pass a signal in opposite direction using reed switches 7555 & relay 7244 but I can't find it again.
Can any one help
Thanks
Russell
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2013 10:33:10(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Russel

I don't have a schematic for you but the principle is simple: When running in the opposite direction the train will set the relais to bring power to the isulated track section.
So lets connect:
- the green solenoid wire to the reed sensor behind the signal
- the red solenoid wire to the reed sensor before the signal
- the first inverter contact to track center stud
- the "green" side of this first inverter to the insulated track section (so this track section is now controlled both by the signal and by the relay.

What is does: when the train comes from behind the signal it "turns" the relay to green. The first inverter then makes sure that no matter what the signal position is, the train will continue.

Of course , in the opposite direction, the relay wil be "red", leaving then the signal to drive the train.

Sorry about the long text I hope it helps
Cheers
Jean
WARNING: the above works for BOTH analog and for digital operation PROVIDED that there is no digital slow-down section
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Nielsenr  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2013 22:45:50(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Russell,

I believe there is a circuit diagram for this in the Marklin HO Signal Book 03402. I can't find mine my book at the moment, I'll have to see if I can find it.

Robert
Offline poppa-7  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2013 01:51:32(UTC)
poppa-7

Originally Posted by: Nielsenr Go to Quoted Post
Russell,

I believe there is a circuit diagram for this in the Marklin HO Signal Book 03402. I can't find mine my book at the moment, I'll have to see if I can find it.

Robert

Hi Robert/ Jean.
Thanks for that. I have got a signal book and I have seen that diagram in the 03402. However I should have been a bit clearer about the circuit diagram I saw. I am sure that it showed the relay connected to a K83 decoder, from there Im not sure. If I can't fine the diagram I may have to use the one in the 03402
Cheers
Russell
Offline Nielsenr  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2013 06:10:37(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Russell,

I found my book. Is there not a circuit on page 9-5 (Figure 9-14) that shows a K83 connected with a 7244 universal relay??

Robert

Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2013 09:18:14(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Hi Russell,

The bit that concerns me is the reliance on reed switches as being "directionally" sensitive.

Personally I would not go anywhere close to making that assumption.
While the book states "You should therefore test to make sure the magnets are activating a reed switch before cementing the former into place on a locomotive or car"
It dosn't emphasise that the reed switch need to be tested by all locos likely to travel in the opposite direction to ensure they do not (never) cause a trigger
The phrase "Yeah Right" comes to mind

I really would steer you to circuit tracks (directionally specific - but beware of Mr TwoShoes) or PC sequencing (which can selectively disable a sensor input from triggering)

p.s. will we see you at Easter?
Peter