Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mancsaint  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2013 13:15:09(UTC)
mancsaint

I recently bought the above from a friend in Basel, Switzerland and upon getting back to London tried to run it on a C-track loop controlled by an MS2. When the stop button was released it went full tilt round the loop. Guessing the DIP switches were set to analog I took the body off and all were set to OFF so I set the switches 1, 3, 6 & 7 to ON (Address 9 the factory setting). When I set the MS2 to the database settings for the 3618 and released the stop button nothing happened at all. I deleted the loco on the MS2 and told it to find the loco, which it did naming it as MM2-9. The address was correct and the protocols on the MS2 are set as MM2,MFX. When finding the lights did flash on the loco but it still wont respond to the MS2 controls at all.

Any suggestions please.

Cheers
Sean

Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2013 14:56:50(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Sean, is it a mfx decoder ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline NZMarklinist  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2013 15:34:00(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
M 3618, whaaaaaat !! no way it is MFX Glare and certainly not with dipswitches, what planet are you on John ???? Laugh It's a BO 6090 type Wink

Get your MS2 instruction book out Sean and start from the beginning about "Entering and Configuring a Lokomotive" page 5-8 then 13 Blink

Hope you have one ??

Good luck ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2013 15:37:05(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
M 3618, whaaaaaat !! no way it is MFX Glare and certainly not with dipswitches, what planet are you on John ???? Laugh It's a BO 6090 type Wink

Get your MS2 instruction book out Sean and start from the beginning about "Entering and Configuring a Lokomotive" page 5-8 then 13 Blink

Hope you have one ??

Good luck ThumpUp

We have to start somewhere, to help Sean.

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline NZMarklinist  
#5 Posted : 27 February 2013 15:40:10(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post

Hope you have one ??

Good luck ThumpUp

We have to start somewhere, to help Sean.

Agreed ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline mancsaint  
#6 Posted : 27 February 2013 16:16:02(UTC)
mancsaint

The decoder has 6080 on the plastic.
I will look at the instructions and take it from there.
Will report back.

Cheers
Sean
Offline amartinezv  
#7 Posted : 27 February 2013 16:36:32(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello

The behaviour that you explain is very strange. The 6080 decoder is the first generation of märklin decoders and is understand only Marklin Motorola old (MM1), I have experience running this kind of decoders with my IB as MM2, but is is a posibility, so, please change the protocol of your MS to MM1, if possible.

Other way to do something should be to out the decoder in analog (all switches to off) and try to run with a analog trafo, although I supposse that everything will be ok.

Next possibility is in digital operation, does the lights change?, Is it possible to switch the lights off and on? Are the cables in the locomotive in the right conection?

red from decoder to pick up slider.
braun to ground (body of lok)
black to a brush
blue and green to the stator motor
grey to the front lamp
yellow to the rear lamp

Please let us to know the results.

best regards and good luck
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
Offline mancsaint  
#8 Posted : 27 February 2013 16:41:06(UTC)
mancsaint

Have followed all 3 instructions of loco entry, manual, find and database using three different vacant MS2 spots. Only when I did "find" did the loco jolt forward slightly then
the lights did a long flicker followed by a short flicker. Unfortunately that was the only things that happened at all. No responses whatsoever to the MS2 controls.

Sean
Offline mancsaint  
#9 Posted : 27 February 2013 17:36:35(UTC)
mancsaint

The MS2 has only three protocols (DCC, MM2 & Mfx) so cannot change it to read MM1.
The lights do NOT respond to the MS2 controls.
The loco did go forward at top speed uncontrollably when all DIP switches set to OFF and power applied.
Have remembered that I have a 6647 transformer/controller, found it and connected it to the loop. The loco responds to it very well even though I forgot to change DIP switches to all OFF. The 6647 has no way to test the lights on the loco.
Checked wires and could find no loose ends etc. Very difficult to trace all wires to their correct connections.

Sean
Offline franciscohg  
#10 Posted : 27 February 2013 18:10:42(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
There was a topic recently with similar problems with a loco equipped with a delta unit, in the end it worked after several changings of the DIP swithches perhaps due to dirt, perhaps you could use a little bit of contact cleaner and move several times each DIP to see if it works...
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline mancsaint  
#11 Posted : 27 February 2013 19:48:05(UTC)
mancsaint

Have also read the delta problem and moved the switches several times, no luck.
Also cant understand how decoder is read by the MS2 in the "find loco"but wont respond to commands.

Sean
Offline franciscohg  
#12 Posted : 27 February 2013 19:58:45(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
I'm not very aware of the MS2, I'm using one meanwhile my 60214 come back from repairs, I have not been able to make the find loco works, I have just entered manually, except for the mfx ones off course
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline NS1200  
#13 Posted : 27 February 2013 20:39:40(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Sean,

I suspect that the loco has a simple Delta controller which is not able to communicate with modern types of digital steering such as MFX.
The fact that the loco was responding well to the conventional 6647 controller says enough.
If you have the outerbox of the loco it should show the Delta logo.
If the instruction book is available,the booklet has an instruction how to set dipswitches for Delta control only.
I have the Rheingold Br 18 with Delta control,i will check the booklet and will revert.

Cheers,
Paul.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline franciscohg  
#14 Posted : 27 February 2013 21:14:14(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
With an MS2 and delta you just have to set a valid adress and enter the loco manually, no problem at all.
Offline NS1200  
#15 Posted : 27 February 2013 21:14:31(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Sean,

I have the Delta controlled S3/6 BR 18.4 Rheingold version.
As such it has the Delta control module inside with 4 dipswitches only.
The digital controller 6090 has 8 dipswitches.
The loco should run at all times with dipswitches set as follows:
1 ON
2 OFF
3 ON
4 OFF
5 ON
6 OFF
7 ON
8 OFF
This mode is called "Address for all operating modes".
Please try and let us know.

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 27 February 2013 22:00:39(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I know the problem, but don't know a solution.

The loco address was set to 9 and MS2 found the loco as MM2-9, so DIP switches work (and MS2 can turn the loco lights on while searching the address).

We had the same problem with a 6080 loco at a club meeting: we couldn't get the loco to run with an MS2 even though the MS2 found the correct address.

Sean, did you try to register loco from database (3618 should be listed, but you may have to change the address unless you set the loco to the default address).

If you don't mind losing your loco list, you can reset the MS2 to factory defaults, then try to register the loco from database.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline amartinezv  
#17 Posted : 27 February 2013 23:48:38(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: mancsaint Go to Quoted Post
The MS2 has only three protocols (DCC, MM2 & Mfx) so cannot change it to read MM1.
The lights do NOT respond to the MS2 controls.
The loco did go forward at top speed uncontrollably when all DIP switches set to OFF and power applied.
Have remembered that I have a 6647 transformer/controller, found it and connected it to the loop. The loco responds to it very well even though I forgot to change DIP switches to all OFF. The 6647 has no way to test the lights on the loco.
Checked wires and could find no loose ends etc. Very difficult to trace all wires to their correct connections.

Sean

Hello

The 6080 decoder must work in a environement with MM2, I have some loks with these decoders and works with the IB sending MM2 commands.

If the lights doesn't respond to MS2 controls means that the decoder is not able to understand the commands or the address is not right, in your case it seems that the address is set ok

"The loco did go forward at top speed uncontrollably when all DIP switches set to OFF and power applied. "
This is the normal behaviour of a analog lok in a digital environement

The lok works well with the 6647 trafo, so the motor and its conections are ok

In my opinion this can be some incompatibility between the MS2 and the decoder, there's only one thing to check, the red cable from the decoder must be connected to the pick up slider, and the brown cable to the ground (chassis, body) of lok. In some cases this decoder doesn't understand the commands if these two cables are swapped, so I recommend to check this cables, maybe using a digital multimeter, if not, wait until you have your 60215, or reset the MS2 to factory settings, I have read some extrange failures with MS.

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline mancsaint  
#18 Posted : 28 February 2013 01:22:00(UTC)
mancsaint

Hi Tom, I have already tried all of your suggestions, it has a 6080 decoder, but not the last, will try that tomorrow.

Hi NS1200, I will try your latter idea tomorrow, thank you. Definitely it is a Marklin 3618 WITH 6080 decoder NOT delta.

Gone midnight now so of to bed.

Will keep everyone up to date tomorrow evening.

Sean

Offline mancsaint  
#19 Posted : 28 February 2013 09:09:21(UTC)
mancsaint

Hi all,
I checked the red and brown wires which appear to be correctly connected.
I then did a factory reset on the MS2 and then selected the M3618 from the database and.....hey presto the loco responded exactly as it should, backwards, forwards and lights etc.

Many thanks to all who helped especially HO and amartinezv who hit the nail on the head.

Will keep this solution in mind for the future.

Sean
Offline amartinezv  
#20 Posted : 28 February 2013 11:50:25(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: mancsaint Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,
I checked the red and brown wires which appear to be correctly connected.
I then did a factory reset on the MS2 and then selected the M3618 from the database and.....hey presto the loco responded exactly as it should, backwards, forwards and lights etc.

Many thanks to all who helped especially HO and amartinezv who hit the nail on the head.

Will keep this solution in mind for the future.

Sean

Hello Sean

Congratulations! we have fixed the problem. The Br18 is a nice lok, enjoy it!

Best regards
Antonio Martínez