Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Janne75  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2013 12:10:46(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hello all,

I have some locomotives that kind of run to wrong direction. Lights are ok and they lit in right end = to the direction where locomotive is running. My problem is that usually if I run some locomotives with my CS2 the direction arrow is pointing to right when locomotive is running forwards. This is the case with almost all of my locomotives. But then there are some that run backwards if that CS2 direction arrow is pointing to the right.

The main reason why I want to correct this thing is that when you control several locomotives at the same time it can be confusing when you see from CS2 screen that locomotive driving direction arrow is pointing to left (backwards) and locomotive is running forwards.

Is this direction arrow programmable individually for every locomotive with CS2? Confused

I hope you can understand what I mean.

Thanks fror your help in advance!

Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 11 January 2013 13:31:41(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Janne,

Earlier decoders, such as the Marklin 6080 and 6090, do not have a memory for the direction of travel, so they will start randomly in one direction or the other when selected on your controller. Newer decoders do remember, so the arrow will be correct.

I believe there is a way of adjusting which is forwards and which is backwards on the CS2, but I have no idea how to do it, sorry. On my layout I drive the loco into an isolated siding, reverse the direction without power on the loco, then I energise the siding again and then the arrow will tally with the direction of travel. I use a MS2 but the principle remains the same.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline sikardon  
#3 Posted : 11 January 2013 14:07:00(UTC)
sikardon

Indonesia   
Hello,

I have the same problem, and with CS2, you can fix it.
Just access the CV programming function on CS2, and look for this CV 29, and choose "Invert Direction".
If I remember, it is in Motor Section, CMIIW.

Could you provide the Marklin Item number of your loco which behaving like this?

BR,
Sony
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 11 January 2013 15:14:55(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Is this direction arrow programmable individually for every locomotive with CS2? Confused
Not for every loco, but for some.
One possible cause are MM1 decoders (Ray mentioned that). Sometimes directions could be out of sync.

Another possible cause is Märklin logic: some locos drive forward with cab 2 (or cab H) ahead. Ignore the numbers on the cabs, the slider shows which side is forward.

As Sony suggested, please provide the ref. numbers of the problem locos to improve the feedback given here.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Janne75  
#5 Posted : 11 January 2013 15:39:35(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Thanks for help and quick answers to everyone!

One loco I can remember having this problem is BR 221 from starter set 29811. But like H0 wrote the reason can be that Märklin decided that it should go forwards with cab end number 2 in front. I have to attach coupler back in the end number 1 and put that different bumper plate (cover) to cab end number 2 then.

How was the prototype moving? I think cab end number 1 at front? To my logic it should be like this. Or then try to make modification to CV 29 (Invert direction) like sikardon adviced. But is this kind of decoder (I think it is an 60901) with manual dip switches and potentiometers for adjusting sound volume, acc/dec. delay and max. speed capable to take commands in CV list? I have thought that this is only possible with programmable decoders. This one is manually adjustable and locomotive body have to be opened for these adjustments. This is one wonderful looking and good running heavy (over 600 grams weight) locomotive. This has pulled over 100 waggons in my tests... One of my first ones when I started this nice hobby again around 2003.

Another loco behaving like this is green DB E19 with C-Sinus motor (Märklin model 39190). This is also "manually adjustable".

Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 11 January 2013 16:09:40(UTC)
H0

V 200 (e.g. BR 221), BR 103 (except for the 103 with the big C-Sine), BR E 17, BR E 18, and BR E 19 are locos where Märklin decided to put the slider under cab 2.

Those locos were designed to operate in both directions (speaking about the prototype now). This is one advantage over steam locos.
I heard that some BW primarily operate their BR 218 locos with cab 1 forward because there are more instruments - while others prefer to have cab 2 forward as it is more quiet (or was it the other way around?).
V 100 should run with the long nose ahead (where the motor is); if the short nose is leading, motor ventilation is not that good and motor temperature will be higher.

For most locos (incl. those named in the first line) direction should make no practical difference (except maybe more or less instruments in the cab) and they are normally used as they come.
V 200 has two motors, so noise level is the same in both cabs.

Locos are stronger pullers with the slider ahead (models only, no difference for prototype locos (but they don't have sliders anyway)).

For locos with mouse piano (DIP switches) you cannot change the direction with CS2 magic (no chance with 39190, no chance with 29811). Soldering iron would do the trick for the 29811 - but better move the coupler.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Janne75  
#7 Posted : 11 January 2013 17:49:04(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Ok. Thank you very much from your informative answer. I will move the coupler then.

Janne