Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MarioFabro  
#1 Posted : 09 January 2013 22:12:22(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
I have an old 6021 and a not so old (but obsolete now) 60212. For the lay-out I am building, I plan this year to buy a 60215 (or whatever flavor will be this summer).

I plan on running several types of Märklin and not locomotives, equipped with several different types of decoders:
- delta (4-dip switch)
- older C90 decoders (8-dip switch)
- newer FX types (based on the ESU system I assume)
- mFX

I understand the basics:
- delta have the limited number of addresses and I will need to record them with that in the CS2
- older C90 can have 1-80 address, also will have to be recorder
- newer FX type... I understand that they can have up to 32000 addresses????
- mFX will be recognized automatically.

My question revolves around the newer decoders not mFX (such as the ones installed on the 36xxx budget friendly locos, of which I have a few). Practically speaking, once I assign the decoder positions 1-80 to my older locos, the newer ones can have any address up to ?? 32000 ??

How do I find out which ones are equipped with the newer decoders? Märklin assigns the "fx" logo to also a number of older locos with the dip-switch. I assume I will have to keep them in the 1-80 range.

Is there a way to distinguish the older type from the new out of the Märklin website?

Gracias!
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2013 23:25:48(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: MarioFabro Go to Quoted Post
No, the limit is 255 for MM decoders (some decoders of about 2004 are limited to either 125 or 127 or so).

Delta decoders support 80 addresses (requires some tricky soldering). They support 15 addresses out of the box (very few support 80 addresses out of the box).

Is there a way to distinguish the older type from the new out of the Märklin website?
Not really. Locos made after 2004 should have programmable fx decoders and will mostly support addresses up to 255.
So with one-time series you normally can predict what you'll get.

Third-party locos often support DCC with an address limit of 10239.

My 60212 is not obsolete with support for MM, mfx, and DCC.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline eroncelli  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2013 10:47:35(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
Tom, are you sure you have DCC on CS1 (60212) ?
Besides that, I agree with you that CS1 is still a good control station (basically, only sound decoder programming and lay-out are missing).
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 10 January 2013 11:27:24(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: eroncelli Go to Quoted Post
Tom, are you sure you have DCC on CS1 (60212)?
Yes, since version 3.0.1 (must be bought from ESU) there is DCC. Makes CS1 much faster, more powerful (4 A booster output) and adds many new features.

Here's my review (somewhat outdated as I now have 3.6.0 (IIRC it now supports F0 through F23 for DCC locos)):
https://www.marklin-user...te-59990---reloaded.aspx
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 10 January 2013 13:56:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Obsolete is a much misused word.

The CS1 is not obsolete, and neither is the 6021, nor an analogue transformer. These items still do the job they were intended for, and they are still compatible with new items you can buy today. They just have different capabilities.

The old metal transformers were made obsolete when Marklin advised that they could damage decoders on newer locos. They are no longer suitable for use with new purchases.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 10 January 2013 14:24:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Obsolete is a much misused word.
Marketing deals a lot with "psychological obsolescence". Make people desire "new and better" and have them throw away the old stuff. Ending is better than mending.

CS2 has some advantages and some disadvantages versus CS1reloaded. So neither is obsolete and everybody has to find which is the best controller for him/her.

Märklin only sell the CS2, so the best thing that can happen to them is a CS1 owner who also buys a CS2 (and not the CS1 upgrade from arc-rival (and former partner) ESU).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline eroncelli  
#7 Posted : 11 January 2013 11:27:32(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
Just to avoid misunderstandings: when talking about CS1-60212, I refer to the Maerklin product.
Th ESU upgraded version can't be referred to with that name: maybe use "CS1 reloaded" or things like that (when upgraded by ESU, the CS1 is no more compatible with CS2)
Anyway, even the standard CS1 is still a valid command station.
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 11 January 2013 15:06:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: eroncelli Go to Quoted Post
Just to avoid misunderstandings: when talking about CS1-60212, I refer to the Maerklin product.
It was an ESU product with a Märklin label right from the start.
What I bought was a CS1 60212 and the hardware has not changed. Märklin dropped it, ESU provides software upgrades.

The hardware hasn't changed and it's still what Märklin sold as #60212.
When you buy an Acer computer with Windows 7 and later on install Windows 8, do you have an Acer computer or a Microsoft computer?

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline MarioFabro  
#9 Posted : 14 January 2013 18:51:57(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
No, the limit is 255 for MM decoders (some decoders of about 2004 are limited to either 125 or 127 or so).

Delta decoders support 80 addresses (requires some tricky soldering). They support 15 addresses out of the box (very few support 80 addresses out of the box).

Not really. Locos made after 2004 should have programmable fx decoders and will mostly support addresses up to 255.
So with one-time series you normally can predict what you'll get.

Third-party locos often support DCC with an address limit of 10239.

My 60212 is not obsolete with support for MM, mfx, and DCC.

You are right, I misused the word "obsolete". However, one attractive feature of the CS2 is the possibility of using a wi-fi controller (I-phone or I-pad) and I would efinetively "trade-up" for it.

But to summarize your answer (let's see if I get it all):
- delta = 15 adresses dedicated (without soldering) - programming with dip-switch
- old C90 = addresses 1-80 - programming with dip-switch
- newer fX = addresses 1-255 (most likely I will use 81-255 range) - programming with CS1 or CS2
- mfX = unlimited

Is that all right?
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 15 January 2013 07:41:07(UTC)
H0

mfx has around 16383 addresses. I expect the system to collapse before the address limit is reached ...
At least there are plenty addresses.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage