Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Paul59  
#1 Posted : 30 December 2012 12:00:27(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Hi everybody,
My layout under construction is analogue at present. I will probably convert it to digital and following recent advice on here I will likely go with the ECOS controller.

I did some experiments with an old CS1 and a couple of K83 units connected to some M track turnouts. I noticed that the lanterns lit up so must have been drawing their power through the K83 modules.
I know that some people isolate the lantern bulbs so that the lanterns can be powered separately.
My question is, would it damage the K83s if the lanterns were left as they are and took their power through the K83 (and the main controller)?

I will only be running three trains at any one time so the total current draw would not be excessive with all the lanterns lit but I wouldn't want to damage the modules.

I don't want to have to isolate the lantern bulbs as this would entail lifting all the turnouts and , since I have installed catenary over much of the layout, that would involve dismantling almost everything.

Any advice would be welcome please.

Thanks very much - and best wishes for the new year to all.

Paul

Edited by user 31 December 2012 00:08:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2012 15:21:55(UTC)
H0

Hi, Paul!
Originally Posted by: Paul59 Go to Quoted Post
My question is, would it damage the K83s if the lanterns were left as they are and took their power through the K83 (and the main controller)?
If you wired them according to the manual, how can the k83s be damaged? The lamps are running on "digital power" (unless you have k83s that allow to feed separate power).
If there are many turnouts (many lamps) you may need a booster to have enough power.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2012 17:24:09(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Just a worth of cautionHuh

While replacing a bulb from a M turnout (when power was on), with a small screw driver I managed to make a small shortcuts which fried the Viessmann 5211 decoder connected to the turnoutScared So always power off if you have to play around with the turnoutsThumpUp

I fixed the K83 by locating the burned diode and installing a new one (there is post about this on this forum - see: https://www.marklin-user...x?g=posts&m=107187).

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 30 December 2012 21:19:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
If you're concerned about excessive power draw with all of the M track turnout bulbs, you can replace them with LED's.

This ebay dealer sells plug compatible LED's that replace the bulbs in your turnouts.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1...&hash=item3f209366c4
Offline Paul59  
#5 Posted : 30 December 2012 22:50:57(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Thankyou all for your replies - very helpful.

Tom - yes silly of me, I should have thought that wiring them according to Marklin's instructions should be ok. For some reason though I wasn't expecting constant power to come out of the K83 yellow sockets.
It seems pretty obvious now.

Lasse - excellent point about always turning off the power before doing anything with a turnout. I hadn't thought of that. No doubt I will forget though BigGrin

BigDaddy - Good idea regarding the LEDs. I will keep a note of the seller and get some but will probably only replace them as and when the bulbs require replacing anyway. I have measured the draw of all my turnout lanterns and it is just over 1 amp. Since I won't be running more than three or four trains at once and the ECOS can supply 4 amps (I think) I should be ok.

Excellent help as usual.

Paul
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
Offline GSRR  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2012 20:03:01(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Paul,

you could also have a look at TrainAidsA, lot of different stuff.

http://www.trainaidsa.com/shop-leds.shtml

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V