Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SCWHIPPLE  
#1 Posted : 26 December 2012 19:00:00(UTC)
SCWHIPPLE

United States   
I have several turnouts on my layout with LED lanterns in them. Some of them flicker, and some do not. Even when they are right next to each other on the same circuit and transformer.

Is it the type of LED kit that I bought (older vs. newer)?
Is there a solution anyone has come up with (other than buying a new one)?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SCWHIPPLE
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 26 December 2012 22:41:28(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi!

>I have several turnouts on my layout with LED lanterns in them. Some of them flicker, and some do not. Even when they are right next to each other on the same circuit and transformer. <

C-track?K-track add-on's?
How are they wired?

ALL lighting,turnouts lanterns,signals,structures should be on a totally separate circuit.

Dr D

Offline elfangor103  
#3 Posted : 26 December 2012 23:21:19(UTC)
elfangor103

United States   
On my layout I soldered them straight to the switch, instead of putting them on a separate circuit. I haven't had an issue with flickering.

Daniel
Newly Started Analog Z Layout
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by elfangor103
Offline Dave Banks  
#4 Posted : 26 December 2012 23:54:50(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   

I too run all my signals/points off my 6017 booster that is totally separate to my track power supply that uses an Ecos 50200 command station. My turnout lanterns are also connected to the separate transformer that powers all my K83's. It is important to note you cannot share the brown wire that you use for track power with your second system as that brown wire we all love to refer to as "earth/ground" carries current on a digital system but I am sure you already are aware of that. Consequently I have no flickering "led" lights on any of my turnout lanterns. Hope my two cents worth is of some help to you.

D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline kbvrod  
#5 Posted : 27 December 2012 00:53:11(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Good reason to keep things separate,trouble shooting,...

Dr D
Offline Danlake  
#6 Posted : 27 December 2012 06:44:30(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: DaveB Go to Quoted Post

I too run all my signals/points off my 6017 booster that is totally separate to my track power supply that uses an Ecos 50200 command station. My turnout lanterns are also connected to the separate transformer that powers all my K83's. It is important to note you cannot share the brown wire that you use for track power with your second system as that brown wire we all love to refer to as "earth/ground" carries current on a digital system but I am sure you already are aware of that. Consequently I have no flickering "led" lights on any of my turnout lanterns. Hope my two cents worth is of some help to you.

Not sure of above statement regarding common grounds?

My understanding:
In terms of track power only/power districts for tracks:
- Using old booster and CS2 Marklin moved away from their old principle of using common ground and here you had to separate it.

- With new type of boosters you can use common ground (see also post: https://www.marklin-user...2_Booster-exchange.aspx)

In terms of using other power supplies (including boosters) to feed solenoids, signals, lights etc:
- I always understood that preferred solution is to use a common ground? E.g. my Viesmann 5211 decoders are fed by a 32VA transformer and this has a common ground with that of the CS2 track power (see also: https://www.marklin-user...ml/digital/DIpower.html)

Please enlighten me if there is something I have completely misunderstood?

Thanks!

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 27 December 2012 08:43:06(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: DaveB Go to Quoted Post
It is important to note you cannot share the brown wire that you use for track power with your second system as that brown wire we all love to refer to as "earth/ground" carries current on a digital system but I am sure you already are aware of that.
I was not aware of that before. Is there some source where we can read about it (ESU or Märklin)?
AFAIK the brown wires on the digital side can be connected (unless you have an early CS2 and a 60173 booster).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline biedmatt  
#8 Posted : 27 December 2012 12:17:41(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
There is no problem sharing common grounds in the electrical industry. Three phase voltage does it all the time. Since there is no potential between the two power sources as they only share one side of their electrical circuit, they each just do their own thing unaware of the presence of the other. My ECoS feeds just the track and a M transformer powers all other equipment. I have but one brown connection for both power sources.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline SCWHIPPLE  
#9 Posted : 27 December 2012 14:03:19(UTC)
SCWHIPPLE

United States   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

>I have several turnouts on my layout with LED lanterns in them. Some of them flicker, and some do not. Even when they are right next to each other on the same circuit and transformer. <

C-track?K-track add-on's?
How are they wired?

ALL lighting,turnouts lanterns,signals,structures should be on a totally separate circuit.

Dr D

These are C track trunouts with the add on lantern kits. It also happens on the C-track end bumpers that have lanterns on them - some bumpers flicker and some do not. The bumpers have only one wire so I cannot put them on a totally separate circuit. I could use a common ground and a separate hot wire though.
Offline SCWHIPPLE  
#10 Posted : 27 December 2012 14:08:13(UTC)
SCWHIPPLE

United States   
Originally Posted by: elfangor103 Go to Quoted Post
On my layout I soldered them straight to the switch, instead of putting them on a separate circuit. I haven't had an issue with flickering.

Daniel

Daniel,

That is what I am doing too. Most of them are fine, just like yours. I just have a few here and there that flicker (out of about 50), and was just wondering what the deal was with those few.....Confused
Offline Ton  
#11 Posted : 30 December 2018 00:16:36(UTC)
Ton

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Dave Banks Go to Quoted Post

Hi

I think I do the same, but in this case my turnout lights don’t work!

What to do here?
Isn’t it that yellow ( turnout light) has to be connected to track ground?

Please let me know how to solve this

Thx

Ton

Edited by moderator 30 December 2018 04:02:14(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed quote tags

Offline Goofy  
#12 Posted : 30 December 2018 01:26:30(UTC)
Goofy

Viessmann do have a power modul 5215.
This power modul stop flickering the LED if you use trafo 14-16 VAC.
In my opion i prefer to use DC power 12-16 VDC.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
MrB32  
#13 Posted : 30 December 2018 03:20:57(UTC)

So this brings us back to the original question: what makes an LED flicker?

I am not an expert but my understanding is that LEDs expect DC current, I would therefore hazard the following 3 reasons, in order of likelihood:
Reason 1: use an of AC power supply, the polarity changes 50 to 60 times per second depending on your location on mother earth, making the LED switch off and on as many times per seconds.
Reason 2: loose wiring/poor contact
Reason 3: use of a dimming mechanism.

Considering the use case (MRR), and the lack of information about mode of operation:
It can only be reason 1 or 2.

Or am I missing something?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 30 December 2018 04:07:34(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Ton Go to Quoted Post
I think I do the same, but in this case my turnout lights don’t work!

What to do here?

Isn’t it that yellow ( turnout light) has to be connected to track ground?

No, the yellow is connected to the yellow terminal of a separate transformer or it can be connected to the track Red (B), but this results in current meant for trains being used for lights.

The brown wire from the turnout lights is connected to the common Brown - I usually solder the brown from the lights to a spare track brown (0) terminal. The brown from your separate transformer should be connected to the track brown to create a common ground.

I have fitted some of my turnouts with a non Marklin warm white LED - these will flicker if you connect them to the track current. I'm running mine off a separate 12v DC power supply so that they don't flicker, plus they aren't as bright when run off 12v DC (a good thing for me!).

I've never seen any of the Marklin lantern lights flicker regardless of whether they are feed off track current or from a separate AC transformer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 30 December 2018 11:06:33(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

I've never seen any of the Marklin lantern lights flicker regardless of whether they are feed off track current or from a separate AC transformer.

I haven't followed the whole thread through, but just to comment on this, the C track lanterns have two LEDS, I believe they are wired back to back so it doesn't matter which polarity the power is, one will always be lit. This will be why Marklin lanterns don't flicker.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline PJMärklin  
#16 Posted : 30 December 2018 11:09:39(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I have fitted some of my turnouts with a non Marklin warm white LED - these will flicker if you connect them to the track current. I'm running mine off a separate 12v DC power supply so that they don't flicker, plus they aren't as bright when run off 12v DC (a good thing for me!).

Hello David,

Likewise, I certainly subscribe to that concept - i.e. running lighting from separate transformers.

All my lighting is run from three separate transformers.

Some on 15v from an Arlec transformer I made up in my analogue days (on the right) :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

But most of my lighting is from 12v since it was convenient to obtain this hefty (12v 9A) garden lighting transformer (distributed via three circuits each fused - yes a dinosaur fuse - to 3 A each) for the purpose (especially for my signals which are ancient Brawa with miniature globes. None of these globes have blown in over 20 years which I attribute to using slightly underpower at 12v) :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Best Wishes from across the Tasman Sea; I look forward to your "we got it first" New Year's Day greetings.

Regards,

Philip
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline PMPeter  
#17 Posted : 30 December 2018 14:58:33(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I have had one of my Maerklin C track lanterns flicker. When I opened it up I noticed that one of the LED's series resistor was not soldered correctly. Re-soldering the resistor eliminated the flicker.

As far as the common ground is concerned, I connect all my "browns" from my lighting transformer and from my track power supply together and have no issues.

Peter