Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline db ice3  
#1 Posted : 30 November 2012 02:28:59(UTC)
db ice3

i dont have any marklin trains at all as im an n gauge modeller but i do collect some OO gauge uk trains.

however i have always wanted a marklin krokodil - just 1.

but which one? - looking at ebay.de they range from around 100eu to over 1000 eu!

theres clearly a reason for this but iv no idea about these locos.

the green and the white ones look nice - thats all i know, id like either a green or a white one and id like it to be in working order too.

so if any one here has any advice they would kindly like to offer about the krokodil models i shall be very interetsed to hear about them

kind regards

jay
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#2 Posted : 30 November 2012 03:14:40(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: db ice3 Go to Quoted Post

but which one? - looking at ebay.de they range from around 100eu to over 1000 eu!

jay

There is certainly a reason for that EUR100 is a just a bit too cheap for a crocodile so I would assume it is not in the best condition and it is one of the cheaper models. They can also cost (in 00 scale) a lot more than EUR1000

If we are going to talk crocodiles I assume we are referring strictly to the large legendary Swiss crocodile engine. There are several others that people may reffer to with the same name but that's another issue.

The first croc was called CCS800, then came the 3015 (basic same shape, size and material metal and less detailed). After that in the early 70's Marklin introduced the 3056 (I think) which has proper shape and is scale HO. This one was made of plastic. After that a great number of models were introduced until this day all sharing similar bodies to this last one but some of them are metal others are plastic.

They are all collectable but the early CCS800 is the most desirable, depending on version and condition EUR 400 - EUR 6000. 3015 has two versions price is about the same for both EUR$ 350-500

An the newer ones depending on condition and the model because there are some unusual versions but the common ones will cost EUR$150-300.

If the white one you are referrint to is the New york central that comes in a set of 3 crocs and that set would be at least EUR$2000.

There is plenty more that can be said but this should get you started.
Offline db ice3  
#3 Posted : 30 November 2012 15:41:04(UTC)
db ice3

thankyou so much for replying ( iamnotthecrazyone ) - with such a detailed response.

i think i would very much like an ho scale, digital version with working sound and lights either in green or the new york central in white.

theres a few white ones for sale on ebay.

ho - beacuse i have OO gauge track and a cs2 that i could have a little play with it. - otherwise it will just be very nice to own one as a special locomotive.

thanks once again - my search will begin soon.
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 30 November 2012 17:59:57(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Jay,

One thing to watch out for is that Marklin models are 3 rail and will not work on your 2 rail OO track. You could go for the equivalent Trix 2 rail model or alternatively you could get the one made by Roco or others who make them for 2 rail.

If you do want the Marklin loco then you could get a loop of Marklin track on ebay to try it out on. Go for Marklin C Track and you can get some very good deals of track split from starter sets.

Good luck!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Ian555  
#5 Posted : 30 November 2012 18:11:13(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Jay,

Had a real nice Krok visit us at our Club meeting last weekend.

Ian.

UserPostedImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

...(Club meeting not far from Edinburgh.)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#6 Posted : 30 November 2012 18:21:24(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
Hi Jay, Lots of good advice here, my personal feeling is
that you need three or four of them though.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
Offline Ian555  
#7 Posted : 30 November 2012 18:29:15(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Jeremy,

Maybe you can help, is it true that Krok's like banana's. LOL

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline mbarreto  
#8 Posted : 05 December 2012 20:31:26(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Hi,

Why not wait for the new set 37565? It is a set with a green and a brown crocodiles CE6/8 II which in my opinion are nicer then the BE6/8III.
They both have full sound. I think you will may also buy only the green one by few more than half the price of the set in ebay. Price will be 899 euros or a bit lower (down to 800, I think) and it will be delivered in February, according to what I understood.

I also suggest you look at the set 26591. It is a great brown weathered croc with full sound.

Off course a real CCS800 (not 3015) in good condition is the dream of the crocs colector (IMHO), but it is a bit costy as you probably already understood.

I think of the existing green ones none have full sound except for one that is part of a large startset (costed close to 1500 euros).

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline mbarreto  
#9 Posted : 05 December 2012 20:33:37(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Sorry friend because i posted it in blue (my football team color). As this is a Crocs thread, I repost it in green! LOL

Hi,

Why not wait for the new set 37565? It is a set with a green and a brown crocodiles CE6/8 II which in my opinion are nicer then the BE6/8III.
They both have full sound. I think you will may also buy only the green one by few more than half the price of the set in ebay. Price will be 899 euros or a bit lower (down to 800, I think) and it will be delivered in February, according to what I understood.

I also suggest you look at the set 26591. It is a great brown weathered croc with full sound.

Off course a real CCS800 (not 3015) in good condition is the dream of the crocs colector (IMHO), but it is a bit costy as you probably already understood.

I think of the existing green ones none have full sound except for one that is part of a large startset (costed close to 1500 euros).

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline db ice3  
#10 Posted : 06 December 2012 21:36:46(UTC)
db ice3

hello everyone and thankyou all for taking the time to reply. ill respond to each of your replies here :-

RayF - thankyou for replying, yes you are correct that the 3 rail marklin wont run on 2 rail and thats ok - i wont run the krokodil - i only want to keep it in its box so its safe! hehe

i may purchase a 1 metre length of c-track just so i can see it move - but it will never run on a layout - i only have an n gauge layout mostly fleischmann and minitrix and roco, so it wont fit on the rails lol.

ian555 - thankyou for posting that wonderful picture of the brown krokodil - it just makes me want one even more! -im grateful for the pic and frustrated that i dont have one!

jeremy palmer - yes i would love to have an entire marklin collection and a layout too - but sadly my bank manager would come round and shoot me.

mbarreto - i didnt even know about set 37565 so im very grateful for your response!. i would very much like a green krokodil for my 1st one rather than a brown one and if later the budget allows it then i would look at perhaps a brown model too.

i would very much like to have a digital version with sound too - which model numbers have that feature?

once again, a very big thankyou to everyone who has helped me here as i am a complete krokodil newcomer - iv had a central station for a long time kept in its box under the coffee table for 2 years now lol. so im determined it should go to good use - even if that is only driving a krokodil along a metre of track and operating its horn and lights -)

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by db ice3
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#11 Posted : 06 December 2012 23:27:32(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
Hi Jay,

After a while the bullets don't hurt - we've all been shot quite a few times.

Here is link to a most comprehensive run down of forum gators.

https://www.marklin-user...tors-and-Crocodiles.aspx

Jeremy.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
Offline mbarreto  
#12 Posted : 06 December 2012 23:47:41(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Hi again,

Regarding green crocodiles with sound, you currently can buy 39563, but it just have whistle/horn sound.
You can upgrade it with a loksound decoder, but for that you also ned to exchange the speaker.

There is a green crocodile with from the 29680 start set, but I am not sure if it has extensive sounds or just whistle. You can see it in:

http://www.maerklin.com/...etails.html?art_nr=29680

Relative to the 37565 set, which will have full sound functions, you can see it in:

http://www.maerklin.com/...ch%2Fproduct_search.html

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto