Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Roman  
#1 Posted : 31 October 2012 21:32:50(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Hello all,
How do the older metal hook couplers work when attached to Maerklin Relex couplers? Are they compatible or do you need to make modifications? Aside from coupling, are there issues when running on either M or K track with the long hook's leg over the center studs or switches? Thank you.
Roman
Offline 60904  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2012 22:42:24(UTC)

Germany   
There is no chance to use the old Fleischmann couplings with any other couplings on the market. The same is true for the new fleischmann short coupling. You have to replace them. No problem with Märklin track though.
Greetings
Martin
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2012 23:44:13(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Roman,

I have a dozen or so older Fleischmann rolling stock with hook couplings, and frankly, I think they are probably the best system of couplers ever made (apart from Kadee).

Firstly, regards the leg for uncoupling. The standard of couplers varies, as does the set up, including any droop of the coupler and leg. However, I find running on my Marklin layout is no problem. On 2 cars only, I had to give the uncoupler leg a slight bend to clear the centre pukos.

Secondly, regards compatibility with Marklin couplers. I say NO. But then I have a few extra of these couplers with the NEM spigot, so I change the loco or car to which the Fleischmann cars are to be coupled. I enjoy running these 50 year old models.

I have changed one end of 2 of my Fleischmann cars using a loop style coupler, which is available as a Fleischmann part. They then couple with older style Marklin or any modern loop coupler. You can still buy couplers and the parts for these old Fleischmann couplers, including the fine spring that centres the coupler. Check with a good Fleischmann dealer.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Roman  
#4 Posted : 02 November 2012 15:28:01(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Thank you for your replies and thorough explanation of what can be done to make the cars work. The old metal cars look nice and I hope to find a few.
Roman