Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2012 16:00:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi everyone.

I've converted an ICE 1 a while ago and just have taken it out of the box again to see how it runs.
Well it ran but the lights didn't work and the connections between the carriages haven't been 100%, anyhow I've fixed it all up and than I thought how can I run this train, it has 1 5 pole highefficiency motor and an ESU lokpilot and in the the other non powered motr car there is a Märklin function decoder (60961).
The carriages are seperated by 2 circuits: 1 from the power car 9ESU decoder and the other half from the Märklin Function decoder, the only connection right through the train is the overhead connection, withother words both pantographs power are connected via the carriages.

since I've put an ESU lokpilot V4 in the loco it registers automatically, whereas before a Märklin 60902 decoder was used and the same address applied.
I've tried to do the same with the function decoder but had no luck. the ECoS did not recognize the number because it was already alllocated to the Lokpilot V4 decoder.

So what to do ? I came up with this idea, using both decoders as a multitraction.
the märklin Function decoder was registered as Number 39 under FX and the ESU decoder under 40.

And here we have a combination of the latest version ESU decoder with an older but newer motorola protocol and both work fine together.

The functions are as follows:

Lokpilot:
Aux 1 = interior light
Aux 2 = interior light
Aux 3 = half speed
Aux 4 = Acceleration and braking delay off

Märklin function decoder:

Aux 1 = interior light
Aux 2 = Interior light
Aux 3 = Cab light

not bad

video will follow

regards.,

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline anthpao  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2012 06:50:09(UTC)
anthpao

Greece   
I did almost the same thing with you to the 29791 ICE 2 Starter Set. I bought from Marklin Service Store the current conducting couplers from the other ICE 2 that already have pre intalled from the factory internal lighting and replaced the originals. Then I changed the original decoder with Lokpilot 4 (not the M4 one for reason I will explain later) and I put a Lokpilot 3 FX decoder in the last non powered wagon. For sound I used a sound module (el chipo) that I spared from another convertion.
I also exchanged the pcbs for the front and rear lights so I now have white-red lights that change with the direction of travel. I added leds in the Cabs and in all of the wagons. So now:

Lokpilot 4 (with 21MTC adapter plate to have 4 AUX outputs)
F0 forward = Front White lights
F0 reverse = Front Red lights
Aux1 = Front cab (only operational when driving forward)
Aux2 = Sound 1 of Sound module (Horn)
Aux3 = Sound 2 of Sound Module (Closing doors)
Aux4 = Sound 3 of Sound Module (Conductors whistle)
Aux5 = Shunting
Aux6 = ACC / DEC off

Lokpilot 3 FX
F0 forward = Rear Red lights
F0 reverse = Rear white lights
Aux 1 = Rear Cab (only operational when driving in reverse)
Aux 2 + Aux 3 = Internal lights for all wagons (because the current was over 0,25mA I used in parallel to function outputs that are activated together)
Aux 4 = Free

I couldn't use the M4 version of the decoder because I have neigher a CS nor an ECOS. The mobile stations I & II that I use doesn't support consists. So I configured both decoders to the same address and they work just fine.

Because the couplers have only two contacts I couldn't use the feature the lokpilot have to change over the pickup shoe according to the direction of travel.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by anthpao
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2012 06:26:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Anthpoa,

you could easely fit Led's into the carriages (one on each end) with a resistor soldered onto the back of the connection socket.

regards.,

John
Offline anthpao  
#4 Posted : 21 October 2012 09:44:24(UTC)
anthpao

Greece   
Thank you for your suggestion but...
I used for the internal lighting a LED strip of 4,8W/m, 60LED per meter. I bought 2 extra wagons so I had to light five wagons in total.
So 20cm of LED strip per wagon * 5 wagon = 1meter long. 4,8W / 12 Volts = 0,4A. I used a resistor in series to reduce a little the brightness of the LEDs so the currents went down to 0,3A > 0,25A of the output of the decoder. That is why I had to use to outputs in parallel. The next thing I could do is to use a relay and supply current directly from the tracks, but I don't like the "clicks" the relay do.
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2012 10:36:42(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
you also can reduce the brightness of the lights via the lokprogrammer under lights from 31 (bright) to 3 (dimmer).

John
Offline Chris6382chris  
#6 Posted : 22 October 2012 00:51:03(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Anthpoa:

Any pictures of this conversion? Sounds very interesting.

Chris