Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline charles Sharpe  
#51 Posted : 31 October 2012 17:30:01(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Well that Is the end of the road for my CS 2 /60213. Two men 16 hours later and still the signal will not respond. We have tried everything you can think of and still no joy. There is only one thing we know is that it is not the signal it self they are all working. To find this out we. Took the small plug with the red and brown wires from the signal that goes to the track from thepc board and replaced it with the yellow and brown that come with the signal and connected that to the CS 1 and programmed each signal in tern. Once we had Done all 10 guess what all the signals worked perfectly. So in 6 years I have spent £900 on 2 controllersand it looks as if I have to buy 1 more. Sorry Marklin not bloody good enough. I am going to try one last thing and that is speak to Marklin on the phone.Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry .
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Goofy  
#52 Posted : 31 October 2012 18:03:39(UTC)
Goofy

You have not connecting red and brown wires as reverse loop on the layout???
If you do it...there will been disturb at communication on digital traffic.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline charles Sharpe  
#53 Posted : 31 October 2012 18:45:52(UTC)
charles Sharpe

When the unit went to be repaired all I did was to pull all the plugs out to the back of the unit and they just laid there until the unit came back and I just put them back as they were.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline jeehring  
#54 Posted : 31 October 2012 22:31:07(UTC)
jeehring

...you did it while the CS was switched off , I presume....

If I were in your situation, as ultimate solution I re-programm & re-install each signal on CS2 as if they were new, like the first time...(perhaps it is what you want to avoid ...)
Offline charles Sharpe  
#55 Posted : 31 October 2012 23:00:40(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hi.

We have done that. We have tried to reprogram the 6 signals next to the cs2 and they will not reprogram. We started as if they were new signals but it is a waste of my time.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline jeehring  
#56 Posted : 01 November 2012 09:33:57(UTC)
jeehring

....it seems that your CS2 communicates with everything, ....excepted your signals : so strange , really !
How do you trigger your signals ? with trains through S88 ? (with routes through the memory )....analog through insulated rail ?...manually by you, pressing your finger on screen ?....
Are they trigerred manually AND/OR automatically through the Memory ?.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline Nielsenr  
#57 Posted : 01 November 2012 18:38:38(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Charles,

Since the CS2 has been returned, have you tried a reset? My CS2 was doing some strange things a while ago, I think the S88s were acting odd, and I thought I had damaged it. I ended up doing a backup and then did a reset of the CS2. The S88s worked properly. I then restored my backup and everything was fine.

Just a thought ...

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline charles Sharpe  
#58 Posted : 01 November 2012 19:53:49(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
....it seems that your CS2 communicates with everything, ....excepted your signals : so strange , really !
How do you trigger your signals ? with trains through S88 ? (with routes through the memory )....analog through insulated rail ?...manually by you, pressing your finger on screen ?....
Are they trigerred manually AND/OR automatically through the Memory ?.

I press the icon which is on the layout page and by the memory route.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline charles Sharpe  
#59 Posted : 01 November 2012 19:57:07(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Originally Posted by: Nielsenr Go to Quoted Post
Charles,

Since the CS2 has been returned, have you tried a reset? My CS2 was doing some strange things a while ago, I think the S88s were acting odd, and I thought I had damaged it. I ended up doing a backup and then did a reset of the CS2. The S88s worked properly. I then restored my backup and everything was fine.

Just a thought ...

Robert

Hello Robert.

That is the only thing I have not done. The main reason for not doing that is the CS is unable to see the last back up on my USB stick.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline charles Sharpe  
#60 Posted : 03 November 2012 17:50:02(UTC)
charles Sharpe

I hope to do a factory reset tomorrow and then do a usb back up. I hope the CS2 can the see the back up the is there on the stick. I will keep my fingers crossed if that will not work a new unit will on on order. I think my luck has to change soon the 3 dealers I use are out of stock. I rang hobby co the UK importer they have some in stock but Gauge master want to charge me £150 more there are taking the ......... not wonder they sell nothing and don't deserve to at that price.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Nielsenr  
#61 Posted : 04 November 2012 02:59:19(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Just another thought ... make another backup and just call it a different name before doing the factory reset ...

Robert
Offline charles Sharpe  
#62 Posted : 04 November 2012 06:43:05(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello Robert.

Good idea I will do that. I will see if I can get onto the same stick. I have used a slim stick but as the usb socket on my cs2 is very close the the main body of the unit I have had to cut away little bit of the plastic on the stick so it will fully push right into the socket.

Charles .

CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Goofy  
#63 Posted : 04 November 2012 10:35:01(UTC)
Goofy

I wonder if digital signals is not default...
Yours CS2 has just been repair and checked at Marklin service.
I have never had Marklin digital signals before so i´m not sure if it has been default when yours CS2 did broken before.
Did you checked after if signal(s) are working with another CS2?
Because digital signals has same code as loco decoder.
Yours digital locomotivs works so why not signals too???
H0
Offline charles Sharpe  
#64 Posted : 04 November 2012 14:54:34(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello Anders.

I only have 1 cs2 but today I have done so called reset and then did a back up on the USB stick but signals still set on green. That is the good bit as I can run my trains. As I mentioned before we have made up a long cable to go from a signal to my old cs1 and the signal works as normal / perfection

Charles
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline et1  
#65 Posted : 06 November 2012 21:37:30(UTC)
et1

United States   
Hi Charles,

I have the same set up as you, I have 15 signals of the 76xxx series running from my CS1 and they work flawlessly. I believe there is some truth to the mfx signal interfering with the signals, I had two of them running on the CS2 and they gave me problems, once they were on the CS1 the problems disappeared. However, I did program the signals on my CS2. Did you use the programming track output when you programmed your signals? Just a thought.

Aloha,

Elliott
Elliott
CS2 4.1.2 (3), CS 2.04, 6021, 3x 60174 Boosters, L88, 2x 60881, 13x 6088(0) ,Windigipet 2015 Premium, Marklin K-track layout (in progress)
Offline charles Sharpe  
#66 Posted : 06 November 2012 22:22:50(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello Elliott.

All the signals were programmed on a section of track were they we're going to be fitted. Did you do all yours on the program track. I don't remember see in the book about doing them on the P T.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline et1  
#67 Posted : 06 November 2012 22:45:25(UTC)
et1

United States   
Hello Charles,

I did do all my signals on the P T. I think I read that somewhere but don't remember where now. Try reprogramming one on the P T to see if it works...couldn't hurt.

Good luck,

Elliott

Elliott
CS2 4.1.2 (3), CS 2.04, 6021, 3x 60174 Boosters, L88, 2x 60881, 13x 6088(0) ,Windigipet 2015 Premium, Marklin K-track layout (in progress)
Offline charles Sharpe  
#68 Posted : 07 November 2012 04:23:26(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Originally Posted by: et1 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Charles,

I did do all my signals on the P T. I think I read that somewhere but don't remember where now. Try reprogramming one on the P T to see if it works...couldn't hurt.

Good luck,

Elliott

Many thanks Elliott. I will give that a go next week when my train friend comes over next week. it is just the signal easiest to get too is the furthest away from the cs so 2 sets of hand is needed.

Charles.

CHARLES SHARPE
Offline eroncelli  
#69 Posted : 07 November 2012 12:10:02(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
By the way, mfx protocol can't interfere, as CS1 has it too.
I'm still convinced that somewhere there is a miscabling: switching the 2 cables (red and brown) usually leads to a digital equipment not working (strangely enough, but locos keep running perfectly): so check any connection, not just at the CS2 terminals.
Offline charles Sharpe  
#70 Posted : 07 November 2012 20:15:17(UTC)
charles Sharpe

I am see what you are saying but unable to see how. I just shut down the CS 2 and just removed all the cables put the unit in the box and sent it away. When it came back I just put all the cables back in and switch it back on.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline et1  
#71 Posted : 07 November 2012 20:28:36(UTC)
et1

United States   
Hello Charles,

You do know that you can use any electronic circuit that came with the 76xxx series signals to program it right? The programming is stored in the mast of the signal not in the electronic circuit board.
If you have a circuit board that is closer you just need to swap the mast to program it. Make sure you bridge the metal contacts on the circuit board for programming though and set the time on the keyboard to 1000ms.

Lots of luck,

Elliott
Elliott
Offline jeehring  
#72 Posted : 08 November 2012 15:57:16(UTC)
jeehring

...electricity...mystery...magnetic fields.......electronics.......Confused

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

http://en.wikipedia.org/...h_1989_geomagnetic_storm
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline charles Sharpe  
#73 Posted : 08 November 2012 20:14:15(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
...electricity...mystery...magnetic fields.......electronics.......Confused

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

http://en.wikipedia.org/...h_1989_geomagnetic_storm

Many thanks but this is all way over my head.

Charles.

Edited by user 09 November 2012 16:24:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CHARLES SHARPE
Offline charles Sharpe  
#74 Posted : 09 November 2012 16:39:11(UTC)
charles Sharpe

As I am having to restrict my movements do to bad health at the movement and my cs 2 is down Jill my wife has gone and bought me a new CS2 60215 as a early Christmas present.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin . Before I go ahead and start to load it all up I have some questions.

1] Is the latest SW 2.0.1 [0]

2] Is the latest HW 5.1

3] Do you think it would be best to take all lokos off the layout and put each one on the program track for the MFX to do it's thing and to add all the others manually.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by charles Sharpe
Offline Goofy  
#75 Posted : 10 November 2012 07:49:26(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: charles Sharpe Go to Quoted Post
As I am having to restrict my movements do to bad health at the movement and my cs 2 is down Jill my wife has gone and bought me a new CS2 60215 as a early Christmas present.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin . Before I go ahead and start to load it all up I have some questions.

2] Is the latest HW 5.1

3] Do you think it would be best to take all lokos off the layout and put each one on the program track for the MFX to do it's thing and to add all the others manually.

Charles.

Yes Charles!
Do put locomotiv at a time on the track when CS2 registration new locomotiv on the track.
In this case CS2 accept faster mfx loco.

H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline charles Sharpe  
#76 Posted : 12 November 2012 20:29:27(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Well that proves the cs that Marklin had repaired is broken. I loaded the signals into a new CS 2/ 60215 and ha posto they all worked . So it was down to the unit not me. For know I will leave things alone and just enjoy the new unit. If I go to the treff next year I will take it in for repair or send back to them next year mid Jan.

Charles
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline JohnjeanB  
#77 Posted : 14 November 2012 00:08:20(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hello Charles
I am glad for you and it looks like you have a great wife.
My wife is also great and she gave me the Mega starter kit with a CS2 (29640)
One suggestion with your old CS2: to use it as a secondary CS2 to drive more locs and use it as a booster for zones where you don't have these new signals that give you problems.
All it take is a new cable CS2 to CS2 (60123 if I am correct)
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#78 Posted : 14 November 2012 06:30:40(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

2] Is the latest HW 5.1

Charles.

The versions sound about right - certainly the software version is (although there have been some minor updates to that version which do not change the version number). Hardware version at 5.1 will support 5 amp output with 60101 power supply - all versions 4.31 and above support 5 amps.

It is best to only have 1 mfx loco on the track when locos are being registered, that is Marklin's recommendation.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline charles Sharpe  
#79 Posted : 15 November 2012 05:08:38(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Originally Posted by: et1 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Charles,

You do know that you can use any electronic circuit that came with the 76xxx series signals to program it right? The programming is stored in the mast of the signal not in the electronic circuit board.
If you have a circuit board that is closer you just need to swap the mast to program it. Make sure you bridge the metal contacts on the circuit board for programming though and set the time on the keyboard to 1000ms.

Lots of luck,

Elliott

Hello Elliott.

You say the that the number you program to a mast is stored in the mast not the pc board it comes with. But the question I have is were because all that is in the mast is 2 cables going the the 2 LEDs at the top of the mast.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Nielsenr  
#80 Posted : 15 November 2012 07:48:28(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Charles,

If it was just two wires going to the mast to control the LEDs, the two LEDS wouldn't work properly. You would need at least three wires to control two LEDs, say a common ground and a positive feed for each LED. And what about the signals that have more than two color LEDS?? You would need many more wires to control all of the LEDs.

Do you have the 2010/2011 catalog? In the English version you can look on page 250. If you look at the written "talking points" next to the picture of the signal, the second one from the top says "Micro-electronic circuit in the signal housing controls the light function". In the third paragraph on the left hand side of the page basically says the same thing. The two wires (actually the two green metal girders of the mast) carry a digital signal from the PCB to that micro-electronic circuit in the mast head. That is where the address is held as well as the circuitry that makes the LEDs slowly fade in and fade out. This allows you to program a mast in one location, but then put it in any spot on the layout. For my floor bahn built on short wooden modules, I have taken the closest mast, soldered two wires to the "shorting contacts" on the PCB and brought those wires out to the front of the module connected to a SPST on/off switch. That way if I want to program a mast, I insert it at that location, flip the switch "on" to put the PCB in programming mode, program the mast, flip the switch "off" and then put the mast where I want it to go.

Hope you understand all of this ... if not, just ask more questions ...

Robert
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline charles Sharpe  
#81 Posted : 16 November 2012 05:11:15(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello Robert.

Many thanks for all the information. So I can just clarify if I put a simple on/off switch in my panel of switches that controls all my yard/station platform lights so it looks neat and then take 2 wires from that to the nearest signal and solder them to each side of the shorting strips on the pc board. Then as you say take the mast you want to program slip it in that location, program it then take it out and put it back were it came from. So the red/brown wires that supply the power stay connected and the red wire from the pc board 1 is connected out of the insulated zone stay connected and the other red wire that is in the insulated zone stays connected is that right. The reason I ask this when you first program the signal in it's box you just connect the red/brown wires. If this is the case then it looks really simple to me to do as I have a pair of signals 6 feet from the switch panel.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Nielsenr  
#82 Posted : 16 November 2012 09:00:00(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Charles,

Yes, that should work. When you flip the on/off switch connected to the shorting contacts, you are basically telling the on board micro computer to go into the programming mode. Other than making sure you have power to the PCB, it doesn't care what else is connected. If you really wanted to get fancy, you could add a DPDT switch and change the power from the main out on the CS2 to the programming track output while programming. I didn't do that and it programs the signal fine.

I would post some photos of what I did, but my layout is on the floor right now. I need to do some cleaning in the house for Thanksgiving dinner with family, so maybe I'll take some photos when I pick the floor bahn up ...

As I write this, another thought came to mind ... if you had a straight section of track near the edge of your permanent layout, you could isolate a section of it and with a DPDT switch, you could change the power coming from the main out from the CS2 or from the Programming output. Would make it easy to do programming of locos ... just a thought ...

Robert
Offline et1  
#83 Posted : 16 November 2012 23:31:23(UTC)
et1

United States   
Hello Charles,

Robert has already explained how the Signal mast stores its information in the mast (much better than I would have, thanks Robert). He is correct that there is small micro circuit in the mast head...I know this because the face plate to one of my signals (a 76394 signal) had come off exposing the on board micro computer chip and the small leds. In hindsight, I wish I had taken a picture before glueing the faceplate back on.

@Robert

Thank you for the idea about the two wires connected to a switch to get it into programming mode, I have a signal mast directly in front of me which I could use without having to take out the eloctronic circuit board to bridge it.

Aloha,

Elliott
Elliott
Offline charles Sharpe  
#84 Posted : 17 November 2012 06:18:30(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello Elliott.

I agree with you I think the idea of soldering the wires from the short out strip on the PC board to a switch is a very good idea. I have some material to make up a face plate for the switch and hope to get it installed this coming week with a bit of luck. i am a bit busy at the moment next weekend is my last woodturning show for 2012.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Nielsenr  
#85 Posted : 17 November 2012 08:36:12(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Your welcome guys!!

Happy to share ideas with you all!!

Robert
Offline charles Sharpe  
#86 Posted : 22 November 2012 07:00:24(UTC)
charles Sharpe

I had sent a e mail to the Marklin rep that came to gauge master some years ago just as I got started and he did a seminar on the CS 1 about my problem with the cs2 /60213. I must admit I had forgotten about the e mail but yesterday the phone rang and hay presto it was the Marklin rep. I explained the problem and he suggested one or two things but still no luck. So he asked me if I was going to be home in 1 hour and he was going to talk to the tec guys at Marklin and call me back. He rang me back and asked me to try something in the settings but still no luck. So it has been left for me to to get in touch with him when Jill and myself have a few days in Germany early next year and I am to take the CS 2 with me and the tec people will have a look at it for me.

Charles.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#87 Posted : 22 November 2012 08:28:49(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Charles,

If it was just two wires going to the mast to control the LEDs, the two LEDS wouldn't work properly. You would need at least three wires to control two LEDs, say a common ground and a positive feed for each LED.

Robert

I beg to differ about that specific part, If I remember properly Marklin Hobby signals with same two wire system as the 76xxx series will activate one colour or the other by applying DC one way or the other. You have the two LED's/diodes connected in parallel in opposite directions. When you apply a DC voltage in one way that will activate only one diode if you reverse polarity will activate the other LED.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#88 Posted : 22 November 2012 08:35:18(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I had sent a e mail to the Marklin rep that came to gauge master some years ago just as I got started and he did a seminar on the CS 1 about my problem with the cs2 /60213. I must admit I had forgotten about the e mail but yesterday the phone rang and hay presto it was the Marklin rep. I explained the problem and he suggested one or two things but still no luck. So he asked me if I was going to be home in 1 hour and he was going to talk to the tec guys at Marklin and call me back. He rang me back and asked me to try something in the settings but still no luck. So it has been left for me to to get in touch with him when Jill and myself have a few days in Germany early next year and I am to take the CS 2 with me and the tec people will have a look at it for me.

Your CS2 supports DCC right? Check to see whether DCC is active in the station that's giving you trouble and disconnected in your new one. I use the Ecos and after being completely unable to program my Marklin signals succesfully I found the answer to the problem in this forum. Also I wasn't alone with the problem. Once I switched off DCC signals from the track and programmed the signals I could switch DCC back on and no problem.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline Nielsenr  
#89 Posted : 23 November 2012 07:26:43(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Iamnotthecrazyone,

Yes, you are correct, the hobby signals do only use two wires to control the LEDs. And it does do it by reversing the two LEDs in parallel and the use of a control box (72750) to convert AC to DC and to reverse the polarity across the two wires. I was trying to give a generic response and not to overly complicate and confuse the issues. And that concept will only work for two aspect signals which all of the hobby signals are. That is why they are so inexpensive. I have seen some circuits for controlling them without the control box and adding some capacitors to give the slow fade in and fade out character of the digital signals . I haven't tried it yet, but I do have a couple of the hobby signals to try it on.

That all having been said, it does not take away from the fact that there is a micro controller in the head unit of the mast that holds the digital address and controls the LEDs in the digital signals. And, there is also a micro controller on the PCB.

Robert
Offline charles Sharpe  
#90 Posted : 23 November 2012 21:13:28(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post

Your CS2 supports DCC right? Check to see whether DCC is active in the station that's giving you trouble and disconnected in your new one. I use the Ecos and after being completely unable to program my Marklin signals succesfully I found the answer to the problem in this forum. Also I wasn't alone with the problem. Once I switched off DCC signals from the track and programmed the signals I could switch DCC back on and no problem.

Hello.
We checked that very early on but and that was one of the things the Marklin man asked me to look at.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline charles Sharpe  
#91 Posted : 23 November 2012 21:23:38(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Iamnotthecrazyone,

Yes, you are correct, the hobby signals do only use two wires to control the LEDs. And it does do it by reversing the two LEDs in parallel and the use of a control box (72750) to convert AC to DC and to reverse the polarity across the two wires. I was trying to give a generic response and not to overly complicate and confuse the issues. And that concept will only work for two aspect signals which all of the hobby signals are. That is why they are so inexpensive. I have seen some circuits for controlling them without the control box and adding some capacitors to give the slow fade in and fade out character of the digital signals . I haven't tried it yet, but I do have a couple of the hobby signals to try it on.

That all having been said, it does not take away from the fact that there is a micro controller in the head unit of the mast that holds the digital address and controls the LEDs in the digital signals. And, there is also a micro controller on the PCB.

Robert

Hello Robert.

I have got the switch fixed in the panel and the wires soldered to it. Just waiting for my friend to come next week and he will go under the layout for me to put the 2wires to the short out strips. And once the big up date is done the then I will add in the 2 signals that are missing from the new CS 2.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Nielsenr  
#92 Posted : 24 November 2012 07:58:16(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Charles,

I trust it will work as well for you as it has for me!!

Robert