Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline James  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2012 14:01:56(UTC)
James

Canada   
Hello All:

I have been offline for the last year and am sorry if I missed the information of which I am inquiring. What I would like to know is is there a point where Marklin will not support earlier versions of the CS2. I have a CS2 (60213) and would like to get the 2.0 upgrade so that I can update my locomotive (Marklin) decoders. Last week I got reconnected to the net and tried to do an update on my CS2 and found that the update was unsuccessful. I was wondering if this was a glitch or if my CS2 is now (officially) out of date. Any help whould be gratefully accepted.

Regards
James
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline jeehring  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2012 15:37:13(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: James Go to Quoted Post
Hello All:

...(...)... is there a point where Marklin will not support earlier versions of the CS2.
...(...)...
Regards
James

As far as I know, untill now , no, there is not.(at least : I never heard anything about it )

Offline eroncelli  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2012 17:24:38(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
According to this page by Maerklin, there should be no problem in updating your CS2
http://medienpdb.maerkli...008/files/ChangeLog.html

If you don't get successful with the on-line upgrade, try downloading the upgrade file to a USB stick and then use this stick to upgrade your CS
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2012 02:44:23(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Here's an interesting note that is in the latest Digital Newsletter, compiled by Dr. Tom Catherall of Marklin USA.

"Technical Notes from the Factory

Software Update 2.0.1 for the 60213 - 60215 Central Station
When you copy this update to the Central Station, regardless of whether you do it from a USB
memory stick or from a direct Internet connection, the Central Station must be turned off and on to reinitialize
the built-in s88 driver in it (the Central Station).
Important: The act of turning the Central Station off may not be done by simply unplugging from the
wall outlet the power cord for the transformer connected to the Central Station. It is absolutely
important that the button “shut down” in the menu “Setup” be used to turn the Central Station off.
Otherwise the update may be incomplete, and the s88 driver may not function after the Central
Station is turned on again.
If this procedure was not carried out on a Central Station and if the update was done by
means of the Internet connection, you can repeat the complete process and enable the correct
procedure. If this procedure was not carried out on a Central Station and if the update was done by
means of the USB memory stick, then a repeat of the update can no longer be done with a USB
memory stick.
Important: After a defective or incomplete update to a new software version we recommend that you
complete the new software version with a network update. Restoring the Central Station to an older
software version prior to this current state may cause the Central Station to become inoperable. In
the event that the latter occurs only our repair service can then install the software.
One more note about the update via the Internet. The LAN cable from the Central Station to
the router must already be connected before the Central Station is turned on. (see Figure 1 below). It
is only when the Central Station is turned on that it checks to see if there is an Internet connection
available and then allows an update only in this instance."

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Oscar0645  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2012 04:44:53(UTC)
Oscar0645

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Here's an interesting note that is in the latest Digital Newsletter, compiled by Dr. Tom Catherall of Marklin USA.

Software Update 2.0.1 for the 60213 - 60215 Central Station
When you copy this update to the Central Station, regardless of whether you do it from a USB
memory stick or from a direct Internet connection, the Central Station must be turned off and on to reinitialize
the built-in s88 driver in it (the Central Station).
Important: The act of turning the Central Station off may not be done by simply unplugging from the
wall outlet the power cord for the transformer connected to the Central Station. It is absolutely
important that the button “shut down” in the menu “Setup” be used to turn the Central Station off.
Otherwise the update may be incomplete, and the s88 driver may not function after the Central
Station is turned on again.
If this procedure was not carried out on a Central Station and if the update was done by
means of the Internet connection, you can repeat the complete process and enable the correct
procedure. If this procedure was not carried out on a Central Station and if the update was done by
means of the USB memory stick, then a repeat of the update can no longer be done with a USB
memory stick.
Important: After a defective or incomplete update to a new software version we recommend that you
complete the new software version with a network update. Restoring the Central Station to an older
software version prior to this current state may cause the Central Station to become inoperable. In
the event that the latter occurs only our repair service can then install the software.
One more note about the update via the Internet. The LAN cable from the Central Station to
the router must already be connected before the Central Station is turned on. (see Figure 1 below). It
is only when the Central Station is turned on that it checks to see if there is an Internet connection
available and then allows an update only in this instance."

Hi David, I have a 60214 and I updated recently to 2.0.1 with a stick. I had no problem .

Cheers B
Offline James  
#6 Posted : 13 September 2012 06:17:58(UTC)
James

Canada   
Hello All:

I just want to thank all of the users who replied (especially Bigdaddynz) for the information from Tom Catherall. What we do if we should ever loose people like Tom? My problem with updates was the bit concerning turning the CS2 off... hooking up the internet... and then restarting the unit. The latest update losded and then the CS 2 was up and running. Many, many, many, many, ............ thanks again.

Gratefully
James B
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 13 September 2012 11:00:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Glad to be of help James. That issue came up in another thread, and can be a bit of a 'gotcha' (got you).
Offline jeehring  
#8 Posted : 13 September 2012 13:35:24(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

...(...)...we recommend that you
complete the new software version with a network update. ."

In this case...I wonder what is " a network update"...Confused (what network, which one ? How ?...Confused )
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 13 September 2012 15:08:56(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
(what network, which one ? How ?...Confused )
"network" = "The Internet"
"How" = select Update on the Setup screen.

With Internet connection and no USB memory plugged in, you can be sure that the update will be attempted straight from the Internet. Make sure that the LAN cable is plugged in before you power the CS2.

I don't know what the CS2 does if both Internet connection and USB memory are present: which will be used to load the update?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#10 Posted : 13 September 2012 15:30:34(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
i think, but never tried, that if you dont select the usb option in the screen, it will be done trough the internet
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 13 September 2012 18:12:54(UTC)
H0

Here's a screen shot (image uploaded by maxi):
UserPostedImage

For Backup and Restore you can choose between Internal and USB Stick.
But I think Update decides where it looks first.

So remove all USB Memory and click Update Program only when the LEDs at the LAN port are on or flashing (indicating an active network connection).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#12 Posted : 13 September 2012 20:52:45(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
yes, maybe that way. all my software updates have been done trough internet with no problems. have used the usb just to upload loco pictutes
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL