Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline FMS  
#1 Posted : 02 September 2012 11:31:17(UTC)
FMS

Hi there!

Is it possible for somebody to shares Primex Catalogues, i would like to see what models Marklin produced for this "hobby" line.
I tried a post by BigD. but the link it's not working.

Post#111 Catalog Scans

Primex catalogs

http://rapidshare.com/fi...imex_Catalog_1987_DE.pdf
http://rapidshare.com/fi...x_1990_91_Catalog_DE.pdf
Regards
FMS
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 02 September 2012 11:33:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I removed all of my catalogs from Rapidshare because some schmucks were downloading them, burning the files to DVD and selling them to make a profit, with no credit to me, or benefit back to the MRR community who supplied the original catalogs in the first place.
Offline FMS  
#3 Posted : 02 September 2012 11:39:32(UTC)
FMS

I Big D! How are you?

I understand and subscribe your move.
My idea is just to add more info to my modest library/knowledge base.

Is there any place from where i can get this info.

Thank you for the fast feedback.

Regards

Frederico
Regards
FMS
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 02 September 2012 11:49:37(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
PM sent.
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 02 September 2012 12:22:05(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi FMS/Bigdaddynz,

I have the 1982 and 1989/90 catalogue and 1988 new item brochure but all in German text.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 02 September 2012 13:44:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
I have the 1982 and 1989/90 catalogue and 1988 new item brochure but all in German text.

Hi Stephen, I have the 1982 catalog, but not the others!

Plus I have quite a few others, some given to me by Cookee_nz. Do you want to swap?
Offline Ausipeet  
#7 Posted : 02 September 2012 13:50:41(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
would it be possible to obtain a private email for some of these links please Guys.
Thanks
Peter
Formerly know as Farkenoath
Offline Osterthun  
#8 Posted : 28 September 2012 20:58:17(UTC)
Osterthun

Netherlands   
In my library some catalogues.

Regards
Frits

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Osterthun
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 28 September 2012 22:56:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Hi Frits, those are just the catalog front covers, or am I missing something!?
Offline john black  
#10 Posted : 02 October 2012 15:10:47(UTC)
john black

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

... am I missing something!?

You can say, my friend - no download possible ... Sad

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by john black
Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 05 April 2020 20:03:13(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Thanks to various internet sources (I don't owe anything) I have a pdf copy of Primex following years:
1976 until 1992 mostly in German.
I don't know how to share with my forum friends without causing a problem to this forum. So if a Primex library can be organized by the forum, I'll be happy to provide the copies.
Here is the 1976 one Primex1976.pdf (1,115kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
Cheers
Jean
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#12 Posted : 05 April 2020 20:12:05(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
Thanks for sharing! I’ve been seeking out a lot of the Primex items over the last few years and looking through these older catalogs is a great way to see what was offered and how it was presented.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline HO Collector  
#13 Posted : 12 April 2020 16:56:01(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
A bit if a drift if I may.

Been to Germany during the mid 1980's and went with my friends to make some shopping in the supermarket, my eye caught a section with model trains for sell, they were Primax. I looked at them and the mouldings looked like Marklin of the 60's & 70's and the bottom/side was stamped with "Marklin". To my question I was told that Primax is a brand aimed at the supermarkets and that it is an inferior Marklin.

I own some Primax and the latter Hobby brands and do like the models, simple but eye pleasing. So can someone please tell me what was the real strategy? I have an assumption but...?

Thanks

Ben
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by HO Collector
Offline JohnjeanB  
#14 Posted : 12 April 2020 17:07:21(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Ben
IMO Primex was not inferior Märklin but rather simplified Märklin (but with exact same functionning and quality) and some Primex models were very very close to their Märklin cousins.
The cheaper track was very good for hidden tracks or ballasted ones, home signals could easily be retrofitted with lights.
Some models were only Primex-specific like the "Leigeinheit" 4596 (two covered cars, permanently coupled together) or the Berlin U-Bahn.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline HO Collector  
#15 Posted : 12 April 2020 17:38:51(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
I have the Berlin U Bahn and rather like it, would love to have another coach added.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by HO Collector
Offline Unholz  
#16 Posted : 12 April 2020 18:08:24(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: HO Collector Go to Quoted Post
To my question I was told that Primax is a brand aimed at the supermarkets and that it is an inferior Marklin.

Supermarkets yes, inferior no.

The strategy probably had something to do with the German market situation and commerce regulations: A serious "brand" company like Märklin was contractually not allowed to do business with anybody else than their traditional dealers - distributing quality products to disreputable "outsiders" like supermarkets was out of the question for the traditional family at Göppingen. But at the same time, they saw the money that could be made in supermarkets - and they didn't like that large share of the market disappearing in the greedy mouths of competitors like for instance Italian Lima. Wink So they came up with Primex - and thus were able to tell their dealers that this was not "true" Märklin and not to be feared.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline JohnjeanB  
#17 Posted : 12 April 2020 19:16:37(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I have the Berlin U Bahn and rather like it, would love to have another coach added.

You could try this ebay offerhttps://www.ebay.de/itm/Marklin-...11de4:g:IgwAAOSwS3deiDpj
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 13 April 2020 03:18:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
To my question I was told that Primax is a brand aimed at the supermarkets and that it is an inferior Marklin.

Supermarkets yes, inferior no.

The strategy probably had something to do with the German market situation and commerce regulations: A serious "brand" company like Märklin was contractually not allowed to do business with anybody else than their traditional dealers - distributing quality products to disreputable "outsiders" like supermarkets was out of the question for the traditional family at Göppingen. But at the same time, they saw the money that could be made in supermarkets - and they didn't like that large share of the market disappearing in the greedy mouths of competitors like for instance Italian Lima. Wink So they came up with Primex - and thus were able to tell their dealers that this was not "true" Märklin and not to be feared.

That description contains a lot of supposition. But the story as I understand it is not much better ...

My understanding of the situation was that a large department store wanted to sell Marklin, and Marklin refused to supply them, so they threatened to take Marklin to the courts for restraint of trade, or some such. So Marklin came up with the Primex range which is rebadged and renumbered Marklin and included a range of buildings and other accessories.

The buildings are (mostly?) supplied by Heljan, and some of these are unique to the Primex brand, at least I have not come across them elsewhere.

There are a number of trains which are unique to Primex, the Berlin U-Bahn already mentioned, the Zugspitz Bahn (which is a body variant of the U-Bahn) and a two axle Triebwagon and trailer are some that come to mind. Some of the tanker and boxcar liveries are also unique to Primex, along with a four (i think) part wagon set for Circus Sarrasani plus a variant of the 3029 loco also liveried for the circus.

The track was M-Track produced in a paler colour and without the ballast colour stippling of M-Track. The transformers were produced with orange plastic bodies, and the Marklin 7072 accessory controllers were produced in another colour (yellow?) instead of the Marklin blue. The track range was also only a subset of the full Marklin m-Track range.

The range slowly died a death and the reduced cost concept was continued on the Marklin HOBBY range that appeared at that time.

It is interesting to collect the catalogues and see the evolution of a product range that seemed to go through a time of popularity and then waned.

Marklin produced some extra items later on to keep the Primex brand registration, namely the 30031 Br24 in photo gray livery and 30055 Br23 as originally produced as a 3005, complete with separate bulb head lights but with a Delta decoder. I don't know if the law changed that they didn't need to keep making an item every five years to maintain the brand registration, or if they came to some arrangement with the competing Primex brand owner to keep the name for model railways.

Last year marklin produced an E44 and tin plate coach set under the Primex name to celebrate an anniversary of the Primex name, so it still lives on.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline RayF  
#19 Posted : 13 April 2020 13:06:08(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I love the Primex range. Though some of the earlier models were simplified, other later models were identical to their Marklin equivalents, or even improvements! For a while, around the 1980s, some of the models could only be bought from Primex, such as the E63, the E44 and the Br81. They were later re-instated into the main range as Hobby models.

I have several Primex models of Loco, wagons and coaches, and I run them together with the Marklin equivalents.

This thread is about my Primex locos:

https://www.marklin-user...33309-Ray-s-Primex-locos
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline PJMärklin  
#20 Posted : 14 April 2020 09:05:11(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I love the Primex range. ...

Hello Ray,

What a great collection of Primex you have at https://www.marklin-user...33309-Ray-s-Primex-locos.

I too admire Primex, for what they are, and some time ago in retrospect I found that a few of my locos which I acquired a long time ago from a dear friend who was a principal mentor of my beginnings in Märklin (he has for some time been in the big roundhouse in the sky) were indeed Primex.

They include :

3017 Berlin S Bahn (unique to Primex) :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

3033 DB 141 Green :

UserPostedImage

3199 DB 141 Beige/Blue

UserPostedImage

3193 BR 01 :

UserPostedImage

and possibly my E 44 ? :

UserPostedImage

Regards,

Philip

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline cookee_nz  
#21 Posted : 14 April 2020 10:08:55(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Primex is a perfect example of a "hobby within a hobby". The Primex range is fun for collectors because it is a 'closed' series. In other words, I believe all the produced items are known about. It had a defined start year, all the items produced are well-documented, and with enough time, and money, it is possible to build up a collection of the entire range. As far as I know, there were no non-catalogued items. I'm not saying there were none, someone may surprise me but it would go against the aim of the Primex brand which was to move higher volumes to a wider range of shoppers.

Those who were fortunate to be in the right place at the right time would have seized this opportunity and purchased whatever they could. And articles like this one may well inspire a few people to take another look when they see Primex and perhaps start buying their own items. One very common issue that you quickly find is that the packaging is often not like the Märklin packaging for the virtually identical item. The orange and blue plastic 'boxes' only tolerate being opened and closed a very few times before the flaps start to break off. I have one Primex start set, with an E44 and 5 tanker wagons. I also once had a set with a smaller industrial loco and 3 molten-ore hoppers. I sold it to a friend but really now wish I had kept it. And I have a single container wagon, bright orange lettered "Primex", quite a common item I think.

Primex2702.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#22 Posted : 14 April 2020 13:31:59(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Primex is a perfect example of a "hobby within a hobby". The Primex range is fun for collectors because it is a 'closed' series. In other words, I believe all the produced items are known about. It had a defined start year, all the items produced are well-documented, and with enough time, and money, it is possible to build up a collection of the entire range. As far as I know, there were no non-catalogued items. I'm not saying there were none, someone may surprise me but it would go against the aim of the Primex brand which was to move higher volumes to a wider range of shoppers.

There do seem to be a reasonable number of non-catalog Primex items, i know I have some, like the sets of wagons advertising dental hygene and the cuckoo bahn line are a couple I can think of offhand. Another set is a variant of the tanker set you pictured but has a grey livery E44 instead of the blue and cream one you pictured.

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
I also once had a set with a smaller industrial loco and 3 molten-ore hoppers. I sold it to a friend but really now wish I had kept it. And I have a single container wagon, bright orange lettered "Primex", quite a common item I think.

I have one of these sets I can let you have for quite reasonable price, brand new unopened. Trouble is it is in the UK, but there are plans to come back to NZ around this time next year - if we can ever get back to the UK to begin with ... Blink Angry Crying Mellow
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline heinzb  
#23 Posted : 28 April 2020 16:48:54(UTC)
heinzb

United States   
Got a circus set from my brother stationed in Germany, one car every year and the loco. They actually are quite nice. Interesting forum.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by heinzb