Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sevs  
#1 Posted : 02 August 2012 02:12:42(UTC)
sevs

Norway   
The title says all.
Regards, Jon Håvard :)
Offline witzlerh  
#2 Posted : 02 August 2012 06:19:27(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
You asking if three rail track is more expensive than 2 rail track?
Or are you asking if the Marklin three rail system is more expensive than the more common 2 rail system?( common outside of Germany that is for the most part)
Or do you mean C track vs. K track?

I believe that the price of C track is the same or at least very similar between Marklin and Trix.
C track vs. K track ; K track is initially cheaper but it naturally has to be ballasted, so it works out to be the same per length.
It comes down to personal choice; speed and ease of set- up or slightly more realism.

As for Marklin vs 2 rail (roco, fleishmann, etc.) well there is an essay! So in 2 sentences.
I think that Marklin has the best balance between detail, robustness and cost and can run on small radii.
Others are good at some of the other aforementioned qualities.
It depends on what your focus is? Ease of running, attention to detail, durability, running train or just collections? That is for you to decide.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline nevw  
#3 Posted : 02 August 2012 06:57:12(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
As Most of us here (Note I said MOST) who run 3 rail it is a no brainer as we would not look at trix track. It would not work for our trains.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 02 August 2012 09:25:17(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi.

C track in either Marklin or Trix brands is the same price. I happen to use both.

Here is an example from the web site at http://www.modellbahnecke.de/shop/en/Model-railroad/Trix/H0-C-Track/3/

Marklin C-Gleis Gegenbogen zu 24711/12
Art.No.:24912
N00 Scale: H0

Euro 5.49

Trix C-Gleis Gegenbogen zu 62711/712
Art.No.:62912

Euro 5.49

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Renato  
#5 Posted : 02 August 2012 18:58:06(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi all,

I was thinking Trix C tracks should cost less than Märklin C track as the central conductor is missing (i.e. less material and less work involved).

Probably the difference is very small, only cents of Euro and in consequence the price is the same.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Renato
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 02 August 2012 20:53:05(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Renato Go to Quoted Post
I was thinking Trix C tracks should cost less than Märklin C track as the central conductor is missing (i.e. less material and less work involved).
AFAIK Trix C track is made with both rails connected - connection will be cut before it's shipped. Less material, but one extra step vs. Märklin C track.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline witzlerh  
#7 Posted : 02 August 2012 20:54:43(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Renato, you are correct in your thinking, less material should equal less cost.

However, there is the matter of quantity. Marklin probably makes far more 3 rail C track than 2 rail Trix track.

Also, in terms of assembly, it is robotic and will very little impact on manufacturing time. The center rail installation along with their clips may be only seconds longer as compared to the installation of the 2 rails and their clips.

So it comes down to pricing. I think that Marklin has a superior product and would like to make money off it. It is easy to inventory and market the product with the same price.

Tom is also right, I forgot about the post assembly clipping to separate the rails...
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline hxmiesa  
#8 Posted : 03 August 2012 13:59:26(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
C track vs. K track ; K track is initially cheaper but it naturally has to be ballasted, so it works out to be the same per length.
It comes down to personal choice; speed and ease of set- up or slightly more realism.

I might be off topic, but did you acutally work with K-track¿?
It´s not that it is so much more realistic when you ballast it yourself. (Although some people complain about the high profile rail too...) -I find that the hugest advantage lies in the GEOMETRY;
The slim swtiches are excellent, and occupies a LOT LESS real estate than C-track. No strange 24071 peices.
You get a slim DKW that almost works.
And... the best of all; Flex-track... Priceless!

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline sevs  
#9 Posted : 03 August 2012 16:13:06(UTC)
sevs

Norway   
Thanks, everyone. :D
Regards, Jon Håvard :)