Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Western Pacific  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2012 23:19:15(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
I found these links to Youtube on a Swedish railway forum called Postvagnen - the Mail coach - a couple of days ago and thought that it could be of interest to some of the marklin-user.net readers as well.

In five parts, each about ten minutes or less, the videos are showing a trip in the cab of a freight train across the Öresund Bridge between Malmö in Sweden and Copenhagen in Denmark. More about the bridge can be found here.

The engine is probably a DB/Railion Scandinavia class 185.

Part 1 starts as the train has just left the Malmö godsbangård - Malmö freight yard. At the start the train is on a line called "Kontinentalbanan" - Continental line - which got its name from the fact that it originally linked Malmö to Trelleborg and the rail ferries to Sassnitz in Germany. This line and "Öresundsbanan" - Öresund Line - are the only lines in Sweden that normally have right hand traffic. Link to Part 1

Part 2 starts on the "Kontinentalbanan" and at about 40 seconds it goes over to "Öresundsbanan". Öresundsbanan is in the center part of the motorway leading up to the bridge (Toll bridge). Westbound lanes on the right (to Denmark) and eastbound to the left. From about 7 minutes you can see the toll plazas for the bridge on both sides of the railway line. You pay toll going by car in both directions but there are only toll plazas on the Swedish side. Towards the end of this part there is an alarm heard "Störung" (in German meaning disturbance) and I don't know exactly why, but a guess is that it could be related to the fact that there is a part of the catenary which is isolated and not connected to any power supply, close to the bridge on the Swedish side. Up to the isolated section it is Swedish 15 kV 16 2/3 Hz and after it is Danish 25 kV 50 Hz power supply. The Swedish signalling system continues over to Denmark. Link to Part 2

Part 3 starts in the tunnel leading to the lower level of the bridge. On the upper level is the four lane toll motorway. At about 7 minutes the train is at the highest point of the bridge at about 60 m above sea level. The tallest ships that can go under the bridge are 57 m (at normal sea level). At 8 minutes 30 seconds you will see blue/yellow and red/white markings on the bridge indicating the border between Sweden and Denmark. Link to Part 3

Part 4 starts at the end of the bridge and going onto the manmade island "Peberholm" - Pepper islet, which is adjacent to a natural island called "Saltholm" - Salt islet. On Peberholm the Swedish signaling system ends and the Danish begins. After Peberholm the line goes into a 4 km tunnel and the reason for having a tunnel is the proximity of Copenhagen airport. Where the tunnel is, is also where the final approach to the two main runways take place, when landing from northeast or take off, if taking off to the northeast, depending on wind direction. After the tunnel it is close to Copenhagen airport and the freight train takes a route which by-passes the Copenhagen airport railway station. You can see hangars of SAS (Scandinavian Airlines, originally called Scandinavian Airlines System) and the Copenhagen airport Hilton. Link to Part 4

Part 5 takes us to a line going west out of Copenhagen. Link to Part 5

I have lost count of how many times I've driven across the bridge by car (or gone by train) and it is quite a nice view from there but at over 60 m above sea level it can be quite windy and I have driven both with car only and car plus camping trailer and in the latter case, if you have side winds you feel it! (The bridge is located about 6 hours drive by car from where I live and 9 to 10 hours with the camping trailer due to 80 km/h speed limit in that case).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Western Pacific
Offline GSRR  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2012 23:39:11(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Thanks Per.

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 28 July 2012 00:06:12(UTC)
Webmaster

Bridge is 20-25 minutes from home by car...

Have passed it by car many times on work trips and occasional leisure trips, but prefer the train if going to central Copenhagen...

Too bad the weather is a bit on the foggy side in the videos, you don't get the height perspective of it...

As Jeremy Clarkson said in a Top Gear episode - "What a magnificent bridge"...

UserPostedImage

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 28 July 2012 00:54:15(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I remember seeing a documentary on the Discovery Channel (last year I think it was) on how they built the bridge and tunnel. Very impressive.
Offline pab-windmills  
#5 Posted : 17 August 2012 00:34:45(UTC)
pab-windmills

United States   
Hej Per,

Thank you for sharing these. Very cool videos!

My wife and I took the DSB from København to Malmö in September 08. But our view was not at all like the ones from the lok cab in these videos!

Paul
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 30 September 2012 09:06:32(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: pab-windmills Go to Quoted Post
Hej Per,

Thank you for sharing these. Very cool videos!

My wife and I took the DSB from København to Malmö in September 08. But our view was not at all like the ones from the lok cab in these videos!

Paul

You have right Paul!
I too did travel over the bridge and it was really boring!
Passanger can only see bridge heck on both side as you can see on some pictures of here.
Very bad view to look out to the ocean of "The ear sound"!!! ThumbDown

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline NewMB  
#7 Posted : 04 October 2012 21:49:30(UTC)
NewMB

Germany   
Malmö is actually where I originally come from and have been across that bridge countless of times.

It's a great view one have one a sunny day and despite the high sides, one can see a little bit due to the curvature of the bridge (done for viewing purposes only!).

As you enter Sweden from Denmark, on the left you have Limhamn and to the right Bunkeflostrand (where I grew up!). Always brings back alot of memories when I see this.....